Possible Little Rock/Central Arkansas Subforum

mcheiss

Possible LR/Central Arkansas Subforum  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a LR/ Central Arkansas Subforum?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always like the idea, just based on the principle that a LittleRock/Central Ark subforum would be busier than the vast majority of the other subforums.

That said, I think everything will continue to spill over on the main forum and there will be overlap on all the subforums because we all cross over topics.

I voted for it because it would be more convenient to be able to locate all the Little Rock topics in one forum. Likewise, it would make it easier to find topics on other areas of the state.

I suggest "Little Rock-North Little Rock" for the name, and then a subtitle like "The Capital City." Let's hear what names other people would like.

I don't envy the moderator's task. :lol:

I voted for it because it would be more convenient to be able to locate all the Little Rock topics in one forum. Likewise, it would make it easier to find topics on other areas of the state.

I suggest "Little Rock-North Little Rock" for the name, and then a subtitle like "The Capital City." Let's hear what names other people would like.

I don't envy the moderator's task. :lol:

I agree - that's a job I wouldn't be interested in, though I think we generally get along here.

After that, I would think about stickying topics about Hot Springs, Ft Smith, Jonesboro, Texarkana, and Pine Bluff at the top of the Arkansas forum to stimulate discussion on those areas.

Seems like a good idea to me. Although I'm wondering wether to make it focus mainly on Little Rock/North Little Rock or central Arkansas. I'd probably rather let the people living in that area of the state or know more about that area of the state make the decision. So I won't bother making comments about that.

I agree - that's a job I wouldn't be interested in, though I think we generally get along here.

After that, I would think about stickying topics about Hot Springs, Ft Smith, Jonesboro, Texarkana, and Pine Bluff at the top of the Arkansas forum to stimulate discussion on those areas.

I'm not sure I can sticky all the other LR cities at the top, but we could do some of the major projects or things about the cities.

Also, do you guys not want Central Arkansas to be included into the subforum?

Seems like a good idea to me. Although I'm wondering wether to make it focus mainly on Little Rock/North Little Rock or central Arkansas. I'd probably rather let the people living in that area of the state or know more about that area of the state make the decision. So I won't bother making comments about that.

I'd like the forum to include the central Arkansas area. That's what I meant by suggesting "Little Rock-North Little Rock" since that's the name of the metro area.

While we're talking about names, this may seem obsessive-compulsive, but the Northwest Arkansas forum is subtitled "The Cities of Fayetteville-Rogers-Springdale-Bentonville," and the metro is known as "Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers."

I'd like the forum to include the central Arkansas area. That's what I meant by suggesting "Little Rock-North Little Rock" since that's the name of the metro area.

While we're talking about names, this may seem obsessive-compulsive, but the Northwest Arkansas forum is subtitled "The Cities of Fayetteville-Rogers-Springdale-Bentonville," and the metro is known as "Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers."

That is true, but I think Matt and I felt Bentonville is important enough to be mentioned. It is home to Wal-mart and up in this area is often referred to as the fourth main city in the area.

That is true, but I think Matt and I felt Bentonville is important enough to be mentioned. It is home to Wal-mart and up in this area is often referred to as the fourth main city in the area.

I understand why Bentonville is included. I was more referring to the fact that Rogers was listed ahead of Springdale; it just looks funny since I'm used to seeing it the other way.

Would cities like Hot Springs, Conway, and Pine Bluff be included in it?

All cities in these counties are part of the Little Rock MSA: Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, Pulaski, and Saline. Conway is the only one of those cities in the metro.

I understand why Bentonville is included. I was more referring to the fact that Rogers was listed ahead of Springdale; it just looks funny since I'm used to seeing it the other way.

All cities in these counties are part of the Little Rock MSA: Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, Pulaski, and Saline. Conway is the only one of those cities in the metro.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. Maybe it's because most of the action seems to be occuring at Fayetteville and Rogers. :lol: Although going from that standpoint then Springdale should be last. Oh well doesn't make too much difference to me at least. :D The Little Rock MSA sounds like a good idea too. Leaving Pine Bluff and Hot Springs will still leave a decent amount of topics along with the other cities like Jonesboro and Texarkana. Course I wouldn't mind if we got busy enough to have to start another subforum like a southwest or northeast Arkansas subforum one day in the future. :D

Yeah, a Central AR subforum would be great. If for no other reason than to have all of the Central AR topics together, making them eaier to find, and would organize the board. There's enough going on in the rest of the state to keep the reg. board busy...we'll make sure of it :lol:

I think the 6 counties in the metro should be included, and probably Hot Springs as well.

It is just a one county metro and is closely tied to LR. However, Pine Bluff should probably not be included because it is a 3 county metro rooted in SE AR, it is a major hub for the people in SE AR and is not as closely tied to LR.

Okay, the updated list of supporters.

Mith

Mcheiss

GSCullum

Arkansawyer

Aporkalypse

Tim2462

And you guys would like it say "Little Rock-North Little Rock"

Now we need a description. I've heard capitol city, and might I suggest Central Arkansas, or something along those lines.

Central Arkansas for a title would work well. The discription should list the major cities included, like LR, NLR, Conway, etc.

I'd prefer just listing Little Rock-North Little Rock instead of individual cities. There are so many, how would we choose them? Anyone familiar with the area knows what cities are part of the metro, and if they're not familiar, then they won't recognize the smaller cities anyway.

Hot Springs could be added, but I wouldn't add Pine Bluff, as it is a regional hub for SE AR. But I can see what you're saying...maybe Hot Springs should be left in the main forum. I don't know :D

Hot Springs shouldn't be added because it's not part of the metro. It's got its own identity, and I don't think either Hot Springs or Pine Bluff is much more connected to Little Rock than the other.

I understand what you're saying. But, remember...metro is an arbitrary line drawn by the census bureau for census purposes only...actual metros can be and are defined by certain areas depending on the culture. MetroPlan defines the Central AR metro as 11 Counties, and this is used for local reasons, not for the census bureau.

I understand what you're saying. But, remember...metro is an arbitrary line drawn by the census bureau for census purposes only...actual metros can be and are defined by certain areas depending on the culture. MetroPlan defines the Central AR metro as 11 Counties, and this is used for local reasons, not for the census bureau.

I read something in the paper when the new metro definitions came out that said that metro areas were defined based on the percentage of commuters from a county to the principle city of the metro. I don't know if there are other factors or not, but they're not completely arbitrary definitions. The website does make mention that there are standards. If you extend the scope to Little Rock's Combined Statistical Area, the Census Bureau includes Pine Bluff, but leaves Hot Springs as separate.

On the topic, I think the forum would be more unwieldy than necessary if other major cities are included. It sort of defeats the point of organizing Little Rock/central Arkansas forum. Also, people wouldn't think to look for Hot Springs or Pine Bluff topics in a Little Rock forum.

Well, it's not a Little Rock forum, it's a central arkansas forum.

But I think we've come to the general consensus to just include the 6 counties. You are correct, metro areas are partly based on what percentage of the population of the county that commutes to the central county...unless it's contiguous, then it doesn't matter. That's what I was talking about when i said it was all arbitrary...the census bureau chose to include that factor for their needs. Other people who define a metro area may only say 30% of the people have to commute rather than the census bureaus's 50%...it really is arbitrary. What if only 40% commuted? That still makes that county very closely tied to the central county. There are a lot of places I've seen the statement by msa definitiions..."Figures used only for census bureau statitstics recod keeping purposes only."

Most people consider Hot Spring County and Clark County as part of the Hot Springs metro. Hot Spring County is contiguous, and Malvern is only a 15 minute drive from Hot Springs. Everybody in Hot Spring and Clark counties conduct a majority of their business in Hot Springs. A large percentage commute to Garland County to work...everybody does their shopping and entertainment in Hot Springs...so for all practical purposes, all three of those counties are the Hot Springs metro...but the census bureau, for now says that only Garland County is the Hot Springs Meto.

Archived