Possible Little Rock/Central Arkansas Subforum

mcheiss

Possible LR/Central Arkansas Subforum  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a LR/ Central Arkansas Subforum?

• Yes
    • No

I would bet that all of Perry County will become exurban, especially as surburban West Little Rock sprawls out that way. But, I'm sure WLR is about finished sprawling...it couldn't really go much more west.

You're nuts. It's marching west as quickly as it can and you can bet your bottom dollar that despite the interests involved in protecting our water supply Lake Maumelle will be lined with condos in a decade and the Jolly Roger will be a true yacht club. Ferndale and Roland annexation will be a big deal in a couple of years.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't see Little Rock spreading that far out. It would not be a balanced city at all if it did. WLR down toward Col. Glenn and Stagecoach need to spread west before the rest of WLR goes any further. You're right though, I'm sure Lake Maumelle will be lined with condos and other development...I'm just not so sure that it will be a part of Little Rock....there has to be a stopping point.

I just can't see Little Rock spreading that far out. It would not be a balanced city at all if it did. WLR down toward Col. Glenn and Stagecoach need to spread west before the rest of WLR goes any further. You're right though, I'm sure Lake Maumelle will be lined with condos and other development...I'm just not so sure that it will be a part of Little Rock....there has to be a stopping point.

Why? There's no incorporated city west of it to stop the growth until you hit Perry County. Being "balanced" means nothing, drive east or southeast of downtown and you hit farmland before your car is warmed up. If balance was truly important that's where growth would occur. As more offices, retail, and restaurants line up down the Hwy 10 and Chenal corridors the area will become more and more self-sufficient for those living there. Kanis is about to take off as well. Sure, most people out there may not be commuting to downtown LR but most LR workers aren't anyway. The beautiful mountains, water, and other scenery along with the upscale nature of new development out there is a big lure for those with enough money to build there, it's the highest end slice of new development in the region.

I do expect Bowman and Col Glenn to fill out nicely soon enough, though I still think Otter Creek has some limitations on growth such as schools and vicinity of crime-ridden areas considering Bryant and Alexander are so close.

You're right about the balance...the city is very unbalanced on its eastern side. I would certainly love for the city to keep going west...but I do think that col. gleen, bowman, and kanis need to fill in first. I'm really concerned about Kanis...a lot of development is slated there, and they haven't even talked about widening the road as far as I know...and it's packed already with traffic. The lack of streets will be a problem if it does go all the way out toward Perry County. Most roads being built in the current area out there are just for subdivisions and apartments...no real arteries are being added. Maybe that's something they will look to in the future out there.

You're right about the balance...the city is very unbalanced on its eastern side. I would certainly love for the city to keep going west...but I do think that col. gleen, bowman, and kanis need to fill in first. I'm really concerned about Kanis...a lot of development is slated there, and they haven't even talked about widening the road as far as I know...and it's packed already with traffic. The lack of streets will be a problem if it does go all the way out toward Perry County. Most roads being built in the current area out there are just for subdivisions and apartments...no real arteries are being added. Maybe that's something they will look to in the future out there.

I agree, wider arterials are badly needed out there. Hwy 10 should be 6 lanes out there but they're committed to keep it at 4 lanes because the areas in the Heights can't be widened. Chenal was originally supposed to be 6 lanes but they balked at the last minute due to costs which was a huge mistake. Kanis and Denny Road and the northern part of Ferndale Cutoff will have to become arterials.

Cantrell could be widened to 6 lanes west of 430 though, that way it wouldn't be a bottleneck situation up towards midtown. Did you know that they are widening parts of Chenal? They are doing a lot of construction right now. I think it's going to be really long inner turn lanes though to allow for easier flow in the main 4 lanes.

I want to repost this so that it isn't lost under all of the previous discussion.

I vote one of these three:

Little Rock / Central Arkansas

Little Rock Metro Area

Central Arkansas

Little Rock & the Surrounding Metro Area

Little Rock Metro Area

no description

I'm just ready for a name to be chosen...debating it is really getting old

Cantrell could be widened to 6 lanes west of 430 though, that way it wouldn't be a bottleneck situation up towards midtown. Did you know that they are widening parts of Chenal? They are doing a lot of construction right now. I think it's going to be really long inner turn lanes though to allow for easier flow in the main 4 lanes.

I agree that Hwy 10 should be widened out there but LR (really probably Metroplan) doesn't like to have areas of the same arterial with different lane sizes heading towards downtown, they feel as if a bottle neck will form when it narrows to 4 lanes. In Dallas, though, lots of avenues do this without problems.

I didn't know they were widening it. I did know the furthest part was being widened from 2 to 4 lanes because of the new Wal-Mart, I didn't know parts were going to 6.

If it's going to be titled Little Rock Metro Area, it would be redundant to have Central Arkansas as the description. I think everybody knows that the Little Rock Metro Area is in Central Arkansas. We have all supported several ideas...we have decided on a name several times and someone changes it.

I voted yes. There seems to be much more action coming from central AR on the forum now, so I think having it's own forum would be a good idea.

The names I would choose would be either "Central Arkansas" or "Little Rock Metro Area"

Hopefully in the coming months there will be enough action coming from Sw Arkansas so that it can have it's own subforum too. :D

Archived