Shopping

EbonyGardens

Taurean:

I don't know if you got a chance to visit Centerpointe Mall while you were in GR, but it used to be a down-n-out older mall (across the street from the larger Woodland Mall), which had shed many of its tenants. It was purchased and renovated, and now is almost full again with a Nordstrom Rack, Old Navy, a Linens & Things, and a number of other discount retailers. Sounds like some of the things you are talking about:

Centerpointe%20Mall.jpg

Norstrom.jpg

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...7-C6BA882EAC61}

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you've got it wrong w/Montgomery, AL. Eastdale is their older indoor mall. They just opened EastChase as their new outdoor lifestyle center. I have relatives in the area and was just there over the holidays. EastChase is nice, but it really doesn't have any stores there that we don't have except for the kitchen store Williams-Sonoma. Anything Montgomery has, we should be able to substain too since we have a metro pop of 330K and theirs is 350K.

Montgomery

My memory did fail me - thanks for the correction. I also have relatives there, and they were very happy about the opening of Eastchase. Of course, that may be because it included the area's first Target. They also just got their first Publix a few months ago. Also, the mix of stores at EastChase is not unique, but it was more of the layout/style of the center that I was referencing. I visit Montgomery often (family), and it is one that I have experience with.

The comparison with Montgomery is a very interesting one - maybe for another thread. Their downtown feels like it's 5 times the size of ours. Maybe they had a strong growth period 100 years ago or something.

Yes, I like the lay-out of EastChase in Montgomery too. I just would not want it here b/c w/its opening, it killed a functioning mall. All of the anchor department stores left Montgomery Mall for Eastchase. I'm afraid the same thing would happen here.

EastChase is part of Montgomery's huge "flight" to the east which leaves the core of Montgomery and the west side pretty dead. We experience that a little here in Tally, but with Southwood now on the southside and the universities downtown, our problem isn't nearly as bad as theirs. Also Montgomery has some terrible public schools and I'm always surprised at the number and size of their private schools.

I always find it odd when Publix appears not in Florida. I know it's been happening for years, but I guess I'm just old school and remember when Publix was ONLY in Florida and Tallahassee was as far west and north as they went. I remember most of their commercials where Florida themed....not anymore.

Yes Montgomery has a much larger downtown. They were a major river (the Alabama) commerce city of the deep south especially in the times of cotton. I've got an old 1920 atlas here at the house and just checked the populations for that year of each city and here's what I found:

1920 Montgomery, AL 46,431

1920 Tallahassee, FL 6,415

I think those number will easily explain the difference in downtown sizes.

Poonther - Do you know if Montgomery has any downtown retail? I have only been down there a few times, to the Jubilee and to see an office near the baseball stadium where a friend works (recently rehabilitated cotton factory - very nice).

I know they have some restaurants and bars down there, but I cannot recall any retail. Maybe it is near that tall bank building?

Frankly I think both malls need more places to sit down. The Governor's Square Mall's Food Court is always crowded. Sometime we leave to get food else where and not come back.

Also, I hate how the kioks (sp?) vendors harass you when you walk by, asking if you want a sample of nuts or lotion. If I was interested, I'd wander over and ask, don't need people right in my face when I am trying to get to one end of the mall to another.

As mentioned before, the malls need stores that sell something that you can't get online. For example, one of the malls (i forget which one) has a teddy bear making store. Tallahassee mall has a pottery place, though it's in the worst location. Can't get that online. More candy shops and speciality food shops would be neat. We also need another arcade in the mall and perhaps an internet cafe where people can play online games together and have lan parties?

Frankly I think both malls need more places to sit down. The Governor's Square Mall's Food Court is always crowded. Sometime we leave to get food else where and not come back.

Also, I hate how the kioks (sp?) vendors harass you when you walk by, asking if you want a sample of nuts or lotion. If I was interested, I'd wander over and ask, don't need people right in my face when I am trying to get to one end of the mall to another.

As mentioned before, the malls need stores that sell something that you can't get online. For example, one of the malls (i forget which one) has a teddy bear making store. Tallahassee mall has a pottery place, though it's in the worst location. Can't get that online. More candy shops and speciality food shops would be neat. We also need another arcade in the mall and perhaps an internet cafe where people can play online games together and have lan parties?

LAN parties! LOL! That's a new one. And I love the idea of WiFi in the mall... that would bring me out a little.

And I totally know what you're going thru with the harassing Kioskers... I was trying to leave the mall just a few days before Christmas, not a dollar in my pocket, when this woman at a Nail kiosk wanted to sell me a finger nail file set and lotion for my girlfriend... to make a long story short, she scammed me and I walked away with 3 of them. I felt like such a sucker. But never again. :huh:

LAN parties! LOL! That's a new one. And I love the idea of WiFi in the mall... that would bring me out a little.

And I totally know what you're going thru with the harassing Kioskers... I was trying to leave the mall just a few days before Christmas, not a dollar in my pocket, when this woman at a Nail kiosk wanted to sell me a finger nail file set and lotion for my girlfriend... to make a long story short, she scammed me and I walked away with 3 of them. I felt like such a sucker. But never again. :huh:

I curious on how you managed to get three of htem without a dollar in your pocket. :rofl:

I had to use the debit card. It was a major setback when I walked away and learned there were NO RETURNS, EXCHANGES ONLY... and all of the products were the same!!!

It was my intent to be nice and buy them from this one chick, then return them when she wasn't there.

Ah, the joy of high pressure sales tatics. When someone uses this on me, I usually go for a quite and aburpt escape. I say "No Thank you" and run away even if they are still talking to me. I hate confiration and would not buy from a high pressure salesperson even if I needed the product.

INTRODUCING:

Just Doing My Job

1Shopper.jpg

This Old Man has been shopping for years. He knows just where to walk when passing these kiosks. Notice he's as far away from them as possible. The wall is his best friend.

This poor unsuspecting lady just needs to get to the food-court, but she's afriad to pass this last kiosk.

This man sits ready and waiting to pounce on the upcoming lady. Does he get her?!?! Stay tuned for the next episode of... Just Doing My Job!!!

Repeat this w/me TJ "No thank you." No thank you. No, not today. Just looking. NO thank you. Or simply do what I do and just look at them as if you are deaf or speak another language and walk away w/out saying a word.

Now that pix really shows off those terrible 70's disco lights on the support columns, the awful brown tiny tiles and the brass railing which is another product of the late 70's. Makes me wanna put on my leisure suit and do the hustle.

Now that pix really shows off those terrible 70's disco lights on the support columns, the awful brown tiny tiles and the brass railing which is another product of the late 70's. Makes me wanna put on my leisure suit and do the hustle.

LOL. "Do the Hustle! :whistling: " I'm gonna be whistling all day at work now.

Each and every person saying hwo bad the malls are, I hope you are writing letters to the companies to express your opinions.

I think Taurean has, but you others im not sure, and like to join the bandwagon and whine.

^First, that's what this forum is about, discussion of urban issues. There's no jumping on the "bandwagon" just those stating their opinions.

Second, that's a pretty bold statement from someone who demands immediate answers to questions on here especially from poor ole over-worked TJ w/out really giving any valuable information back.

Third, in my case I've not written Gov. Sq. management, but I've written Macy's about their unkempt littered entrances. I got a good response back and I've seen some changes since, but still not perfect. Many of things I write about here, I've been noticing for years around town. That's why I'm glad I found this place, finally a place to discuss things w/others that are interested in the same things I am around town. I've written and spoken to many people around town about some of the things we've discussed here. Heck, I've got City Code Enforcement on my speed-dial. :)

Heck, I've got City Code Enforcement on my speed-dial. :)

LOL! :lol: Could you give us all that number... I see plenty on a daily basis that I need to report. I'm tired of these same people getting away with it... at this point there's no excuse for the disrespect these violators show to our community.

I'm glad we all found each other here on UrbanPlanet. I think what we do here in discussing all of Tallahassee's local issues is good for the city. We need an official letter writer for occasions when we've discussed something, and all agree there needs to be some change. Any volunteers? Anyone? :huh:

Meanwhile, we shouldn't call names, we're all free to share our opinions, right?

Code Enforcement:

It helps to have a street address if you can and if not know what street it's on and what cross streets it is between.

If you have a signage problem (don't get me started on the tacky tacky signs around town, I could go on for days) you need to call zoning and ask for a Mr. Parrott (sp?.) 891.7100

Most of all be patient, it takes them time to assess the situation, issue a violation and let the party work it out if they can/will.

There was a certain abandoned sign on John Knox that I got removed, it took about 3 to 4 months to get it down, but now I can drive John Knox in peace w/out raising my blood pressure at the sight of that tacky rusting empty sign mocking me. :D

^Nah man wasn't me. I'd report something like that to my "buddy" over in zoning.

My new endeavor is to get the very tall old Steak and Ale sign removed from the property. There's a restaurant there now and they put a much lower sign for their property, but just blacked out and left the tall S&A sign. That's a clear violation of the sign code b/c you can have only one sign for your biz fronting Monroe. Since it was a local owned biz, I gave them a complete year to remove the old sign before I reported it. It's been awhile since I reported it and hopefully something will be done soon. Next time you drive by, notice it and once you do you'll always notice it.

P.S. My first job in planning was working in zoning enforcing and regulating the sign code. Boca Raton has some of the toughest sign code regulations in the country. It's made me very sensitive to signage.

^Nah man wasn't me. I'd report something like that to my "buddy" over in zoning.

My new endeavor is to get the very tall old Steak and Ale sign removed from the property. There's a restaurant there now and they put a much lower sign for their property, but just blacked out and left the tall S&A sign. That's a clear violation of the sign code b/c you can have only one sign for your biz fronting Monroe. Since it was a local owned biz, I gave them a complete year to remove the old sign before I reported it. It's been awhile since I reported it and hopefully something will be done soon. Next time you drive by, notice it and once you do you'll always notice it.

P.S. My first job in planning was working in zoning enforcing and regulating the sign code. Boca Raton has some of the toughest sign code regulations in the country. It's made me very sensitive to signage.

Do you think it would help to have a few more voices complaining about the violation. I'm cool for writing a letter or making a phone call. Whatever necessary to make Tallahassee more beautiful.

Each and every person saying hwo bad the malls are, I hope you are writing letters to the companies to express your opinions.

I think Taurean has, but you others im not sure, and like to join the bandwagon and whine.

It's only whining if you aren't going to do anything about what you're complaining about. I send a couple e-mails a month to management asking when they are going to revamp the mall. At the far west end of Gov. Square Mall is where Piccadilly's used to sit, ever since they closed up shop the space has been sitting there

Archived