Dave's East Nashville Part 1/commercial

it's just dave

Okay, New Years Day. Great Weather this morning. Top down kind of day.

ATLBrain, you asked about East Nashville and I'm going to show some of it to you. I'm starting with a few pics of some of the independent businesses that have popped up around the area, and then a few housing shots. I'm going to do a thread on the housing when time allows, but right now this will do for a start. Enjoy.

Typical East Nashville side street, Lockeland Springs area.

Sidestreet1.jpg

One of my personal faves. The townhomes (around $180 - $200k) opened in the past year and replaced an ugly parking lot. These were developed through MDHA. Sold quickly.

Rosepepper.jpg

Empty corner for years. Couple from Pittsburg, I think, built this popular neighborhood bakery.

Sweet16th.jpg

Consistently rated among the best of the city's restaurants. Popular among the West Side yups who "dare" to venture east of the river. lol

MargotCafe.jpg

Great neighborhood bar. If in the mood for karioke, great. If you're a lesbian wanting to sing, this is your heaven. Everyone welcome. Everyone enjoys.

Lipstick.jpg

Old neighborhood appliance shop. Buildings will become part of the multi-million dollar Martin's Corner mixed use development going up across the street. I'll show this and some of the housing involved in another thread.

Kendalls.jpg

Interior Design shop in Five Points. Across the street from Margot Cafe.

Interiors.jpg

Some housing stock. In East Nashville, it's a varied as it could possibly be. There are some really run down places, and then again, the rehabs are consistently transforming the area into one of escalating prices and tight neighborhood groups.

HousingPrev3.jpg

HousingPrev2.jpg

HousingPrev1.jpg

Housing5.jpg

There is a rehabbed house attached to this corner business. An early live-work situation now back in business.

HolisticHealth.jpg

Old corner grocery, turned laundromat, turned trendy bar/restaurant/gallery/listening room

FamilyWash.jpg

Decor shop across from Family Wash. I remember when this was a neighborhood hardware store.

EastVillage.jpg

For the Earth People among us.

EarthStuph.jpg

Neighborhood organic foods grocery. Small Wild Oats, so to speak.

TurnipTruck.jpg

Not sure, but it looks cool. East Nashville neighborhoods have many, many corner commercial zones such as this.

DesignShop.jpg

I remember the pharmacy housed in this building through the 60s. Vacant for years, now a top rated restaurant. Pricey.

ChapelBistro.jpg

Across from East Nashville High School near Five Points.

Walnut2.jpg

Walnut1.jpg

There will be much more to come. Bear with me.

dave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice "East Side" pics!! You really showed off some of the hidden wonders of East Nashville and is hush hush rebirth. I mean I didn't realize how much it was changing until you took me around East Nashville last spring. It really is amazing all the great developments in the works over there, not to mention what all is planned.

Thanks for the great pics Dave!

Nice pics Dave.

A photo thread of Germantown and Salemtown would be nice. Salemtown is an area everyone should keep their eye on. It seems like it transforms daily. Just a few years ago the whole neighborhood was a rundown ghetto, now the vacant lots are quickly filling up with beautiful new homes. There are also two multimillion dollar developments that will be breaking ground soon.

Those are very nice shots of E. Nash, Dave. From the additional comments, I gather you're quite the tourguide too! Thanks.

This area reminds me very much of East Dallas (TX) aka the M Streets area. I've spent much time there over the last ten years and almost bought in the area (ended up not moving when I got my job here). I have a few friends who live there. Through the years, I have seen that area of the city just turn around completely. In fact the house we were looking at in 1997 was on the market for 180K and last summer, there were comparables (not even as nice) selling for 450-500K. And these aren't palatial... but very nice. Unfortunately, there were times when a new "owner" would tear down the existing house. Some of those houses were junky '50-60 boxes, but some very ornate houses did fall to the ball. I know I don't have to tell you guys that that's progress for you. Give and take.

My area of Atlanta is near Emory. The houses are about the same size, but they're of a bit more recent vintage 30's and early postwar. My house was built in 1948. But they're built to last. Fortunately, the previous owner had done much of the rehabbing. It's a comfortable house, but with three growing kids, it's getting a bit snug (lol).

It looks like E. Nash has many sizes and styles. One hurdle would be convincing the wife to make the move (remote) and of course schools. But we're getting ready to go the private school route here anyway. Oh well, I've gone on a bit too far. Thanks for all the info.

A photo thread of Germantown and Salemtown would be nice. Salemtown is an area everyone should keep their eye on. It seems like it transforms daily. Just a few years ago the whole neighborhood was a rundown ghetto, now the vacant lots are quickly filling up with beautiful new homes. There are also two multimillion dollar developments that will be breaking ground soon.

Either I'm having a brain fart or something, where in the Sam Hill is Salemtown ?

Unfortunately, there were times when a new "owner" would tear down the existing house. Some of those houses were junky '50-60 boxes, but some very ornate houses did fall to the ball.

I failed to mention that these folks are putting up oversized mcmansions in the place of the old houses. Most unfortunate. Plus, the designs going up in Dallas are some tacky combination of French Country and late-Generican deco-cinder block tudor. If you don't know what I mean, then you're very normal. You'd know this junk if you saw it.

I hope that this area of Nash doesn't see that kind of 'progress.'

I failed to mention that these folks are putting up oversized mcmansions in the place of the old houses. Most unfortunate. Plus, the designs going up in Dallas are some tacky combination of French Country and late-Generican deco-cinder block tudor. If you don't know what I mean, then you're very normal. You'd know this junk if you saw it.

I hope that this area of Nash doesn't see that kind of 'progress.'

Dallas isn't exactly a hotbed for designers and architecture. I know the types well.

Dave, fantastic tour. I really appreciate this part of town like never before. I could easily see myself living here.

Either I'm having a brain fart or something, where in the Sam Hill is Salemtown ?

If you are going north from downtown, you first have Germantown until just past Morgan Park. Once you get past there and in between 3rd and 10th all the way to Metro Center is Salemtown.

Here is a link to a site that has a decent map at the very bottom oft he web page.

http://enclave-nashville.blogspot.com/2005...to-include.html

Don't worry too much about McMansions in this area. I believe the conservation overlays takes care of that nonsense. I don't know of any particulars, but it seems any infill so far as been historically sensitive. You'd find the East neighbors to be quite protective of the significance that East Nashville has architecturally.

Here's a shot to show the proximity of the historic Edgefield part of the east side.

EastWithDtn.jpg

If you are going north from downtown, you first have Germantown until just past Morgan Park. Once you get past there and in between 3rd and 10th all the way to Metro Center is Salemtown.

Hmm, OK, thank you. I always thought that entire section north of Jefferson up to Metro Center was Germantown. Well, you learn something new every day. :lol:

Don't feel bad, fm, I'd never heard of Salemtown, either. I was there this morning. The infill is amazing. There's one house under construction now that looks right out of Amsterdam. In six months, it'll look like it's been there a hundred years. Amazing. I snuck inside, the two story curved staircase sold me...as well as the views. I have pics from a few months ago. I'll look for them. If not, I'll take more.

Don't feel bad, fm, I'd never heard of Salemtown, either. I was there this morning. The infill is amazing. There's one house under construction now that looks right out of Amsterdam. In six months, it'll look like it's been there a hundred years. Amazing. I snuck inside, the two story curved staircase sold me...as well as the views. I have pics from a few months ago. I'll look for them. If not, I'll take more.

The transformation on 5th avenue in Salemtown is quite amazing. Most of the new homes seem to fit right in. Garfield Place is susposed to break ground pretty soon ive heard. All the units for phase one have been sold. And 5th avenue Brownstones shouldnt be too far behind. Both of these developments will be amazing for this neighborhood.

Luckily a decent portion of East Nashville is already under historic zoning, which prevents the McMansions from sprouting up like mad. When something goes down, there are some fairly strict guidelines as to what can go back up, architecturally speaking.

Also, the photos were great, reminds me why I chose to live here on the eastside in the first place. And for anyone who has never been out this way, there are plenty more places that did not make it onto this photo thread.

Nice to hear some parts of town are getting "the good stuff." Alas, out here in Antioch, the only thing classy here is the dirt. Having snuck into more than a couple homes under construction near me in the past year or so, they just slap those suckers together, sell 'em for $150k, and a few months later, voila ! You got a Insta-Slum. What a shame. :(

Nice to hear some parts of town are getting "the good stuff." Alas, out here in Antioch, the only thing classy here is the dirt. Having snuck into more than a couple homes under construction near me in the past year or so, they just slap those suckers together, sell 'em for $150k, and a few months later, voila ! You got a Insta-Slum. What a shame. :(

They definately don't build housing nearly as well as they used to, esp. considering for the price that same housing is going for in the current market.

So true, I took 151 photos yesterday in about an hour and a half...unfortunatley, it's easier to take them, than to post them. But I'm a determined sort. I'll do my second batch maybe tonight.

Happy New Year, everyone. Time to go out into the sun.

ummm....it's tonight and i'm still waiting. LOL!!

Casey and I were out and about yesterday too. We snapped about 200 pictures in about 3 hours.

Memphis has the McMansions popping up all over the Eastern side of town. Very much in the mentioned French Country theme. Nashville doesn't seem to follow that trend too much. Great shots. Nashville now needs to connect the East and West sides of the City with some great public transportation.

More on East Nashville development - have you heard news of the property across from the Rosepepper on Eastland? The old seniors home (now closed) is set to be turned into small scale office in the back and commercial/restaurant/retail in the front by the same developer responsible for the Walnut exchange/Chop Shop/Nitwit building. Along with the restaurants already across the street, this could turn into a nice little neighborhood hub. Also, in a later phase, the old victorian house next to it (across from Chapel Bistro) will likely be converted into one or two businesses (another restaurant?) and the 5 acre backyard will be home to several townhomes and maybe some single family lots along the back of the property. Not sure of the timeline on all this, but it's pretty exiciting. I like to the see old building re-use and the creative infill happening over here. Also, sort of related but not really - I hear the empty storefront in the Scott AveTownhomes (one of your first photos) is going to be a new Coffee Shop.

Archived