New Condos in Memphis...Possibly

northernbizzkit1

I was hanging out with friends last night, and one of my bud's dad apparently has partners and backers in an attempt to buy "an old candy factory downtown" (Hershey's maybe??) and constructing twin 29-story towers for condos/retail/possibly hotel. I'm kinda mixed on this...of course, the big IF is securing the financing...so don't hold your breath just yet...but...if it were to happen, are we seeing a new skyline form over on the South Bluffs? River Tower, Horizon, and then these would seem off by themselves rather than being a part of the downtown skyline. I'll keep you guys posted on any updates when I get them!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hanging out with friends last night, and one of my bud's dad apparently has partners and backers in an attempt to buy "an old candy factory downtown" (Hershey's maybe??) and constructing twin 29-story towers for condos/retail/possibly hotel. I'm kinda mixed on this...of course, the big IF is securing the financing...so don't hold your breath just yet...but...if it were to happen, are we seeing a new skyline form over on the South Bluffs? River Tower, Horizon, and then these would seem off by themselves rather than being a part of the downtown skyline. I'll keep you guys posted on any updates when I get them!

Where's the Hershey building? I don't think I've ever heard of it. Hopefully, if it's an old historic warehouse, they'll be able to incorporate it into the mix instead of tearing it down.

That sounds great, at least as something to speculate about. I imagine most developers are going to see how well the sales are going for the Horizon Towers--which opened a sales office last October--and how well One Beale gets off the ground before the banks are willing to lend the dough and they actually begin concrete plans.

Downtown Memphis certainly has the pizazz factor in its favor. Population-wise, it's the fastest growing area in the Memphis metro.

It would certainly make an interesting skyline--about 2 miles long from the Pyramid to the Horizon project. And as far as the southbluffs area being a "separate" skyline, I think the One Beale project ties it in nicely--sitting right between the "old skyline" and the southbluffs area.

Where's the Hershey building? I don't think I've ever heard of it. Hopefully, if it's an old historic warehouse, they'll be able to incorporate it into the mix instead of tearing it down.

That sounds great, at least as something to speculate about. I imagine most developers are going to see how well the sales are going for the Horizon Towers--which opened a sales office last October--and how well One Beale gets off the ground before the banks are willing to lend the dough and they actually begin concrete plans.

Downtown Memphis certainly has the pizazz factor in its favor. Population-wise, it's the fastest growing area in the Memphis metro.

It would certainly make an interesting skyline--about 2 miles long from the Pyramid to the Horizon project. And as far as the southbluffs area being a "separate" skyline, I think the One Beale project ties it in nicely--sitting right between the "old skyline" and the southbluffs area.

The Hershey Foods factory is actually south of the ramp for the old bridge...about 1/4 of a mile I'd guesstimate from the Horizon site. That is actually a guess considering that the only information I got was that the group was purchasing an old candy factory that was recently emptied...Hershey left that site a few years ago, I believe. Also, when I talked to my friend today, he was saying that the plans are to make the buildings appear as 30-story versions of the Petronas towers...with a sky bridge connecting the two at around the twentieth floor or so...I'd say that these buildings could easily become the signature buildings in Tennessee if they get off the planning table and secure the financing...They've already apparently secured over $100 million from backers for construction (but the project is expected to cost more than that), but they need to garner over $2 million to get the site. I'm hoping that all the development in the South End will spark developers to start more major projects in the North End and start a friendly rivalry to fill in the skyline...should be interesting to see how this shapes up!

The Hershey Foods factory is actually south of the ramp for the old bridge...about 1/4 of a mile I'd guesstimate from the Horizon site. That is actually a guess considering that the only information I got was that the group was purchasing an old candy factory that was recently emptied...Hershey left that site a few years ago, I believe. Also, when I talked to my friend today, he was saying that the plans are to make the buildings appear as 30-story versions of the Petronas towers...with a sky bridge connecting the two at around the twentieth floor or so...I'd say that these buildings could easily become the signature buildings in Tennessee if they get off the planning table and secure the financing...They've already apparently secured over $100 million from backers for construction (but the project is expected to cost more than that), but they need to garner over $2 million to get the site. I'm hoping that all the development in the South End will spark developers to start more major projects in the North End and start a friendly rivalry to fill in the skyline...should be interesting to see how this shapes up!

The only candy factory I'm familiar with in the area is the former Donruss site (or some company that made both sports trading cards and candy) that was transferred I think to Nestle. If that's the site, then I believe it's located south of the refinery (I remember driving from the airport on 240, it was located before you turned north, I think). But that doesn't seem to mesh with the discussion. Hopefully, the site is much closer to downtown, and becomes reality.

The twin towers idea in Memphis is an interesting concept. I will keep an eye out for more news on this. Really interesting notion.

Donruss in Memphis? Wow I remember those cards back in the day. If they, or their gum, were made in Memphis that would be an awesome tidbit of info.

are we seeing a new skyline form over on the South Bluffs? River Tower, Horizon, and then these would seem off by themselves rather than being a part of the downtown skyline.

i dont think theyd be considered seperate.

if you look at Atlantas skyline... they have ''midtown'' and then 'downtown'... i didnt they know they were actually conisdered seperate until a few months ago.

what it will do, is spread out the skyline and make it seem almost like the MS river were a beach resort area with condos and high rise apts lining the beach as far as you can see :P

i dont think theyd be considered seperate.

if you look at Atlantas skyline... they have ''midtown'' and then 'downtown'... i didnt they know they were actually conisdered seperate until a few months ago.

what it will do, is spread out the skyline and make it seem almost like the MS river were a beach resort area with condos and high rise apts lining the beach as far as you can see :P

Maybe they can get wave machines and have surfing. lol

So, this proposal will be south of the old Bridge? That's kind of an odd spot, though I've heard a proposal to renovate the old marine hospital down in that area into condos.

Regarding what's considered downtown and what's not--I grew up in Memphis in the 60's, and the general attitude then was that Mud Island was downtown, the train station was downtown, really just about everything between the old bridge and North Main was considered downtown. So, Memphis always had an odd-shaped downtown--about 4 blocks wide and 2 miles long, running up and down the river.

The twin towers idea in Memphis is an interesting concept. I will keep an eye out for more news on this. Really interesting notion.

Donruss in Memphis? Wow I remember those cards back in the day. If they, or their gum, were made in Memphis that would be an awesome tidbit of info.

It was actually Leaf, which made Donruss:

http://www.gipas.com/promonews.htm

---

Local Tie-In Resonates With Recipients

To help boost the city

It was actually Leaf, which made Donruss:

Another mailing tied into sports. Since the mailing was conducted during the World Series, chamber President David Cooley thought a baseball theme would work best. A select group of 277 prospects in the telecommunications, medical instruments and food-processing industries were chosen to receive a mailing containing a set of 15 Donruss baseball cards, manufactured in Memphis by Leaf Inc., North America.

The cards were placed inside a custom box with graphics depicting a pitcher throwing a baseball

In 1954, brothers Donald and Russell Weiner became owners of the Thomas Weiner Company, a manufacturer of Super Bubble gum, hard candy and suckers. Using a combination of their first names-Don and Russ-the brothers formed the Donruss Company, beginning the run of the second-oldest card company today. Donruss was purchased in 1969 by General Mills. In 1983, it was purchased by a company from Finland known as Huhtamaki Oy. Leaf Candy Company in Illinois was purchased by Huhtamaki at the same time, leading to Donruss and Leaf merging together.

Was the Thomas Weiner Company based here?

OK...here is the update...it looks as though they are going to be able to sign on the property in a few weeks. Location wise, it is a block off Riverside Drive and it is actually north of the old bridge in what I'm guessing is around the South End. As far as renovating the factory, the original plans were to do just that and have a five story condo development; however, the factory is in pretty bad shape and is essentially beyond rehab, so the idea for twin towers evolved. Here's how it will be: the buildings will (unfortunately) be connected by a three-story base. The first floor is to have a lobby/screening room/retail (apparently an urban grocer has already contacted them). The second will be all parking. The third floor will be parking and a fitness club/spa for residents. From the base two slender, 26-story towers will rise. The towers will have two condos (approx. 2000 sq. ft. each with two master bedrooms in each) on each floor with a large, spacious penthouse on top. As far as architects, apparently Richard Meier is a possibility. I suggest going to his site (richardmeier.com) and clicking on the projects link, search by type, and look at the residential and master plan projects. Judging by his work, it would be different but certainly welcome to the downtown Memphis skyline!

OK...here is the update...it looks as though they are going to be able to sign on the property in a few weeks. Location wise, it is a block off Riverside Drive and it is actually north of the old bridge in what I'm guessing is around the South End. As far as renovating the factory, the original plans were to do just that and have a five story condo development; however, the factory is in pretty bad shape and is essentially beyond rehab, so the idea for twin towers evolved. Here's how it will be: the buildings will (unfortunately) be connected by a three-story base. The first floor is to have a lobby/screening room/retail (apparently an urban grocer has already contacted them). The second will be all parking. The third floor will be parking and a fitness club/spa for residents. From the base two slender, 26-story towers will rise. The towers will have two condos (approx. 2000 sq. ft. each with two master bedrooms in each) on each floor with a large, spacious penthouse on top. As far as architects, apparently Richard Meier is a possibility. I suggest going to his site (richardmeier.com) and clicking on the projects link, search by type, and look at the residential and master plan projects. Judging by his work, it would be different but certainly welcome to the downtown Memphis skyline!

dang so were going to have the Horizon which is two 16 story buildings in that general area, that other tower(name?) and now potentially two 26 story buildings.

awesome. lets hope they all get through

dang so were going to have the Horizon which is two 16 story buildings in that general area, that other tower(name?) and now potentially two 26 story buildings.

awesome. lets hope they all get through

Are you talking about One Beale? Yup...I think Memphis's new skyline is forming south of Union...I like how that will be...you'll see pre-1990 to the North and post-2000 to the South...awesome! It's like it's representing the rise of the New South! Perhaps we'll see a Signature-esque project come into play.

Are you talking about One Beale? Yup...I think Memphis's new skyline is forming south of Union...I like how that will be...you'll see pre-1990 to the North and post-2000 to the South...awesome! It's like it's representing the rise of the New South! Perhaps we'll see a Signature-esque project come into play.

One Beale and the Horizon are two separate projects.

One thing you notice with Meier, if he becomes the architect, is the dominance of glass, which will be a very nice addition to the diversity in the skyline.

If the project goes through, we should expect a very different type of building for Memphis. This is a pic of a 16-story development he has designed for Manhattan:

perry-empire.jpg

I'm kinda neutral on this design, but what would be really cool is if he did have something like this and there was a green glow coming from the two towers at night...and paired with One Beale and that swanky prism...pretty nifty skyline. Hopefully One Beale and this project would steer the Memphis building theme in a modern direction. While not a great fan of the Vue on Main and Horizon Tower designs, I think they will certainly add a current feel to the skyline. They'll go well with the Morgan Keegan Tower.

I'm kinda neutral on this design, but what would be really cool is if he did have something like this and there was a green glow coming from the two towers at night...and paired with One Beale and that swanky prism...pretty nifty skyline. Hopefully One Beale and this project would steer the Memphis building theme in a modern direction. While not a great fan of the Vue on Main and Horizon Tower designs, I think they will certainly add a current feel to the skyline. They'll go well with the Morgan Keegan Tower.

theres one thing i dont like about those buildings. and thats the colour. I dont think would go well in Memphis. it looks like something i could find in bathroom.

another example would be memphis's main library.. i like everything about that building except its colour.

theres one thing i dont like about those buildings. and thats the colour. I dont think would go well in Memphis. it looks like something i could find in bathroom.

another example would be memphis's main library.. i like everything about that building except its colour.

I'm not too crazy about how they look like 16-story college dorms...kinda neutral on the overall design...hopefully he'd do something different to fit Memphis.

hershey26uk.jpg

Here's a shot of the Hershey factory in question looking NE from the intersection of Wisconsin and Arkansas streets. In the distance on the left side of the photo, you'll notice the south United Warehouse (south of Crump on Illinois Ave.) which is abandoned and ripe for development. More power to this group if they can develop this site, but the biggest hurdle seems to be the development gap between this site and the rest of the condos north of Carolina. Of course, 1/4 mile can be bridged pretty quickly with a few big land deals.

Archived