New Condos in Memphis...Possibly

northernbizzkit1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found out that the Hershey Factory is not the location of the towers-hopefully-to-be...it's north of the old bridge, south of the new, and a block or two away from the river...should be a nice location. I know that they were meeting to discuss the project yesterday, and I'm hanging out with my friend tonight...will update with what I find out! Here's a question, though, how many condo towers do you think are in the works for Memphis? Nashville has Sig Tower coming, but Memphis seems to have the upper hand in demand for downtown residential areas...how many Sig Towers or 25-45 story condo towers do you see coming into Memphis? Will it not be until every warehouse down there is revamped?

I found out that the Hershey Factory is not the location of the towers-hopefully-to-be...it's north of the old bridge, south of the new, and a block or two away from the river...should be a nice location. I know that they were meeting to discuss the project yesterday, and I'm hanging out with my friend tonight...will update with what I find out! Here's a question, though, how many condo towers do you think are in the works for Memphis? Nashville has Sig Tower coming, but Memphis seems to have the upper hand in demand for downtown residential areas...how many Sig Towers or 25-45 story condo towers do you see coming into Memphis? Will it not be until every warehouse down there is revamped?

Maybe not "each and every" wwarehouse, but I agree that as the stock of old buildings ripe for redevelopment decreases, the likelihood of new construction increases. But new construction doesn't guarantee towers (see north Main).

Memphis needs to attract more transplants (from outside the city) to maintain its pace in the long term . . .

• 3 months later...

OMG! I just talked to my friend...the negotiations are over...the factory is being sold to his father and construction for the condo towers will begin sometime in July!!!!!!!

Since it's not the Hershey Factory, where exactly will these condos be?

OMG! I just talked to my friend...the negotiations are over...the factory is being sold to his father and construction for the condo towers will begin sometime in July!!!!!!!

When can we expect an announcement? Keep us updated with any renderings and/or a website as soon as it comes up. July is only a couple of months away so this project will have to move pretty fast.

Speaking of locations in the south main area for development, does anyone find it odd that Sugar Services remains as an island of industry surrounded by residential development? It is on the corner of GE Patterson and Tennessee St. A rail spur connects to the property and still services it. Big rigs also load and unload there. I wonder if Sugar is holding out for cash or just being stubborn. Also, I wonder if this could be the location of the new condo development that spawned this thread.

Not to discredit your source but July seems pretty early for a project of this size to break ground--considering how long it is taking the Horizon Towers, One Beale, and the Vue on Main to start construction. Do you have any other info on this development?

Speaking of locations in the south main area for development, does anyone find it odd that Sugar Services remains as an island of industry surrounded by residential development? It is on the corner of GE Patterson and Tennessee St. A rail spur connects to the property and still services it. Big rigs also load and unload there. I wonder if Sugar is holding out for cash or just being stubborn. Also, I wonder if this could be the location of the new condo development that spawned this thread.

It might just be too expensive for them to move. Any move would require finding a new location near rail lines, getting new signs, letterhead, interrupting operations and physically moving possibly delicate machinery. I would imagine that they will end up being just like Turner dairy in midtown. Nobody likes them there, but their sole concern is their bottom line, so residents just have to put up with it.

The South Main area has a 9 story height limit, so I don't think those condos could be built there.

Has anyone considered that the site might be Wayne's Candy Company at 164 East Carolina Ave. There is a vacant lot in front of it on S. Main that has recently seen the start of construction of a nice brick wall surrounding it. It is also close to Carolina lofts and the trolley could easily extend its line to go there.

Sugar Services also seems like a possibility to me. I've heard very unconfirmed rumors that they are relocating within about a year.

Why does South Main have a 9 story height limit? For aesthetic reasons, or more pratical ones?

It's actually 8 stories. I suspect it's for aesthetic reasons, given the low/midrise nature of the old warehouses/retail buildings found there. Most of those old buildings have been converted to residential and I guess they want to keep new things within the character of the neighborhood.

Below is a blurb about height limits and so on in the South Main/SouthEnd area. I think it's great that SouthEnd will have 1200 housing units on 30 acres. At 2.5 people per housing unit, that comes out to a density of 64,000 persons per square mile---all in buildings no higher than 4 or 5 stories.

"South Main Historic District/ South Main Extended

Mix of uses including residential, institutional, and commercial.

Uses prohibited include adult entertainment, surface parking

and drive through windows.

Maximum height is 8 stories or 90 feet."

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/docu...s/southend2.pdf --page four--

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE:

My friend just got back from Michigan, and he said his dad has been in touch with architects for the past month...apparently a few are interested in the project and making it compete in looks with One Beale! I'm going to a party tomorrow, so I think he'll be there...will post with more!!

• 4 weeks later...

OK...here is the update...it looks as though they are going to be able to sign on the property in a few weeks. Location wise, it is a block off Riverside Drive and it is actually north of the old bridge in what I'm guessing is around the South End. As far as renovating the factory, the original plans were to do just that and have a five story condo development; however, the factory is in pretty bad shape and is essentially beyond rehab, so the idea for twin towers evolved. Here's how it will be: the buildings will (unfortunately) be connected by a three-story base. The first floor is to have a lobby/screening room/retail (apparently an urban grocer has already contacted them). The second will be all parking. The third floor will be parking and a fitness club/spa for residents. From the base two slender, 26-story towers will rise. The towers will have two condos (approx. 2000 sq. ft. each with two master bedrooms in each) on each floor with a large, spacious penthouse on top. As far as architects, apparently Richard Meier is a possibility. I suggest going to his site (richardmeier.com) and clicking on the projects link, search by type, and look at the residential and master plan projects. Judging by his work, it would be different but certainly welcome to the downtown Memphis skyline!

what's the location again? It sounds like it will be competing with Horizon towers for views of the river, or even obstructed by Horizon towers if it's a couple of blocks off the river.

what's the location again? It sounds like it will be competing with Horizon towers for views of the river, or even obstructed by Horizon towers if it's a couple of blocks off the river.

Not if it's oriented towards the northwest (slightly) and not to towards the Horizon. If not, then it might block views to downtown Memphis from Horizon, but it'd have a nice view of the river looking towards the Hernando DeSoto bridge. All depends on where this thing is located [in the South End].

how come we havent heard any official announcement on these towers?

right now it's all designed and planned; however, the investors are getting the funds lined up. There are plans to acquire the nearby Spaghettie Warehouse (the site is apparently at a warehouse next to the Spaghetti Warehouse) and incorporate it into a downtown retail center that will be incorporated into the towers...i like it b/c it again mirrors the Petronas Towers where there is a retail base to the two towers.

right now it's all designed and planned; however, the investors are getting the funds lined up. There are plans to acquire the nearby Spaghettie Warehouse (the site is apparently at a warehouse next to the Spaghetti Warehouse) and incorporate it into a downtown retail center that will be incorporated into the towers...i like it b/c it again mirrors the Petronas Towers where there is a retail base to the two towers.

That's much farther north than I expected!

That's much farther north than I expected!

same here! I think there was another site originally planned, but they decided to move it up to the north. While I really like the Spaghetti Warehouse, I'd love to see it placed in a center like the one planned; furthermore, it'd get rid of a surface parking lot.

On a side note...I was downtown and went to Gus's to get some chicken, and I'm wondering if the place will be smoked out of its current location b/c as of now, there are pretty nice condo projects going up all around it. Mirabella is across the street, and two upscale condo buildings (3-6 stories based on the pics on the signs) are going on either side of it...

Archived