New Condos in Memphis...Possibly

northernbizzkit1

same here! I think there was another site originally planned, but they decided to move it up to the north. While I really like the Spaghetti Warehouse, I'd love to see it placed in a center like the one planned; furthermore, it'd get rid of a surface parking lot.

On a side note...I was downtown and went to Gus's to get some chicken, and I'm wondering if the place will be smoked out of its current location b/c as of now, there are pretty nice condo projects going up all around it. Mirabella is across the street, and two upscale condo buildings (3-6 stories based on the pics on the signs) are going on either side of it...

If they own the site, at some point they may receive an offer just too good to refuse. I think it's become a staple of downtown though. Actually, I'd love for them to franchise it around the country. Best fried chicken bar none that I've ever tasted.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the proposed Tennessee Brewery conversion to 14-story condos the project in question here?

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...14/daily17.html

Sounds like they're adding a 14-story structure to the brewery. Is the brewery 14 stories? It doesn't sound like it; it sounds like Central Station is the tallest structure in the area at 8. They need the variance only on new construction, right? If it's already built, the zoning is already taken care of (?).

If they own the site, at some point they may receive an offer just too good to refuse. I think it's become a staple of downtown though. Actually, I'd love for them to franchise it around the country. Best fried chicken bar none that I've ever tasted.

Gus's has good chicken, but Church's spicy chicken is right there with it....doesn't beat it, but a notch below. :D

As far as the building itself, it has become a fixture on Front St. Why not capitalize on all the business coming from the soon-to-be-condos and stay put? Why not build a new building with Gus's on the floor level (at the same location)?

Gus's has good chicken, but Church's spicy chicken is right there with it....doesn't beat it, but a notch below. :D

As far as the building itself, it has become a fixture on Front St. Why not capitalize on all the business coming from the soon-to-be-condos and stay put? Why not build a new building with Gus's on the floor level (at the same location)?

I haven't had their spicy. Their regular is uninspired, a few notches below KFC, way below Gus's. Impressive if their spicy is competitive with Gus's. I've heard good things about Popeyes, but never had it, can't attest to it personally.

I haven't had their spicy. Their regular is uninspired, a few notches below KFC, way below Gus's. Impressive if their spicy is competitive with Gus's. I've heard good things about Popeyes, but never had it, can't attest to it personally.

I used to be a big fan of Popeye's spicy until I had Church's spicy chicken. It's a lot spicier than Popeye's, if that's your taste. Gus's tastes more homemade than Church's though.

My chicken picks:

1. Gus's

2. Church's

3. Popeye's

4. KFC

5. Mrs. Winners

6. Jack Pirtle's

I believe they set a height limit so other buildings wouldn't be taller than Central Station.

that is small thinking <_< But I am really excited about this project. It will really standout if it is replicas of Kuala Lampur. They are beautiful!

i dont think it should be scale replica towers. I find that un-original, cheesy and kind of las vegas like. yes lincolm america tower is a scale replica of the woolworth building in NYC but most people today dont know that. Petronas towers everyone knows about. If were going to build a twin towers... then they need to be unique new and orginal to Memphis.

omg...i saw drawings today (for various designs), and it is definitely pretty cool. I'm going to see more tonight, but the Petronas Towers idea has been dropped...where there would have been the skybridge is a squared "hole" through the middle of each tower...it's sweet!

so no skybridge?

whats the validity in this project? i havent heard anythign about it anywhere except here

you have said theyve got renderings, which requires work from Computer graphics designers/artists

you said theyve done the designs which requires engineers/architects

you said theyre also done with planning which requires construction management, materials application and other engineering aspects.

all of these involve significant amount of work, and we havent even heard an officiall announcment or even proposal to Memphis. so what if they get rejected?? all that work goes to nothing. my main question is, why if they have all these people working on it has there been not a word from the media about it.

I'd also like to know how far they are into this, what company is building it etc. everything mentioned so far has been really vague.

OMG! I just talked to my friend...the negotiations are over...the factory is being sold to his father and construction for the condo towers will begin sometime in July!!!!!!!

Well construction was supposed to start last month and they haven't even announced it yet :( I hope this isn't a cruel joke

I haven't wanted to attack anyones "inside" info however this seems like 4 pages of speculation without any verification by any official even the jump the gun wreg news channel 3 news crew who as we all know is "ON OUR SIDE" ha ha.. anyways being a life long Memphian I dont believe anything ANYTHING is final until I've seen Walter Bailey huffing and puffing and a building open for business. Thats just me and like i always say its an opinion and everyone has one.

Ack...haha...I'm sorry, but what is taking so long is the design process. I have the two designs that had been submitted and will scan those on here later tonight, but apparently as of this morning a new architect has been selected. I'm not sure when this will come up with the planning commission, but I do know that one of the commissioners is friends with my friend's dad, so the design isn't expected to get failed.

Archived