Historic Buildings and Areas of Fayetteville

Mith242

Nate suggested this topic a while back ago and I'm just finally getting around to doing it. Fayetteville may not be the oldest city in Arkansas but it is relatively old and especially for this region. Only Ft Smith is older and then you have to go a way down the Arkansas River closer to central Arkansas before you find an older city. Fayetteville was settled in 1828. Of course there's no structures left from that time period but there are a number of buildings dating back to the 1800's. I think for this area of the country any building from the 1800's is impressive. I've posted some pics in the Pictures of Fayetteville topic and I'll reuse some of those pics for a few of these buildings. Pics and more info to come shortly.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll probably not focus too much on houses. But I have to make an exception for this since I think it's the oldest structure in the city. Headquarters House was built in 1853 as the sign says and it located near the Willow-Washington Histrocial District. It's actually located on Dickson St. But the more residential area east of College Ave. It was used by both the Union and Confederacy during the Civil War. I've never actuallt taken the tour of it. I need to call and try to set up an appointment. I think I've read somewhere there are some Civil War bullets still lodged in house.

img37089nu.jpg

img37107sf.jpg

img37079ix.jpg

I'm having a few problems pulling up some of my older pics so I'll post more later.

Quite a beautiful building. I was going to guess Civil War Era, but then I saw 1853, so I was right. :D

It's not as ornate as some of the other houses in Fayetteville but then again I don't think you'll see too many ornate houses anywhere in the state from this time period. I keep meaning to buy me a book so I can better identify particular architectural styles of houses in the city.

Since I'm still having problems accessing some of my older pics I'll post another houses after all. :D I think it's the only other one I've seen that actually has a sign with info with it. Even though I'm pretty sure there are older houses around in the city. I wish some of these homeowners would work with the city and have some more info more easily visible for some of these houses. Here's the Alf Williams House on Washington St in the Willow-Washington Historical District. Built in 1890. Afraid I don't have much info on it. I'll keep looking though and if I find anything I'll post it.

img36270cs.jpg

img36257cq.jpg

img36289an.jpg

While I was walking around looking for a future condo development I walked by a cemetery. I'd driven by it before but never thought much about it. But I noticed I saw some older looking gravestones so I thought I'd take a look this time. I found out this is the Evergreen Cemetery and it may be the original cemetery for the city of Fayetteville. There were a number of gravestones dating back to the 1800's. Unfortunately some of them are in bad shape and there were some that were illegible. But while I was walking around I came across one and I recognized the name, Archibald Yell. You'll be able to read most of the info yourself in the pics but I just wanted to mention he was governor of Arkansas from 1840-1844. In some ways I think he may have helped put Fayetteville on the map back then. I don't know if Fayetteville was thought of much in Arkansas back then. That was well before the University was established. I thought a mention and some pics would be fitting for this topic. The newer stone marker is actually from around the Old Courthouse. Then I thought I'd throw in a couple more pics of the Evergreen Cemetery. I have some more general pics and of some of the older and more unique gravestones that I may post later. Especially if there's any interest.

img5963s3eu.jpg

img5962s2nq.jpg

img6022s3xx.jpg

img5952s6jt.jpg

img5937s4mp.jpg

While I was walking around looking for a future condo development I walked by a cemetery. I'd driven by it before but never thought much about it. But I noticed I saw some older looking gravestones so I thought I'd take a look this time. I found out this is the Evergreen Cemetery and it may be the original cemetery for the city of Fayetteville. There were a number of gravestones dating back to the 1800's. Unfortunately some of them are in bad shape and there were some that were illegible. But while I was walking around I came across one and I recognized the name, Archibald Yell. You'll be able to read most of the info yourself in the pics but I just wanted to mention he was governor of Arkansas from 1840-1844. In some ways I think he may have helped put Fayetteville on the map back then. I don't know if Fayetteville was thought of much in Arkansas back then. That was well before the University was established. I thought a mention and some pics would be fitting for this topic. The newer stone marker is actually from around the Old Courthouse. Then I thought I'd throw in a couple more pics of the Evergreen Cemetery. I have some more general pics and of some of the older and more unique gravestones that I may post later. Especially if there's any interest.

If you're in Springdale check out the Bluff Cemetary... It's pretty cool with these very old stone steps climbing "the bluff" to an old wrought iron gate (fell off last time I was there). There are some impressive headstones there. I believe the caretakers house on the grounds was for sale last time I was there if anyone's looking for a new home. ;)

We have a section near Downtown Rogers that has homes exactly like this. There's not that many, but they are identical.

There are other houses I think are more impressive but the two I posted pics of are the only ones that I know when they were built.

If you're in Springdale check out the Bluff Cemetary... It's pretty cool with these very old stone steps climbing "the bluff" to an old wrought iron gate (fell off last time I was there). There are some impressive headstones there. I believe the caretakers house on the grounds was for sale last time I was there if anyone's looking for a new home. ;)

I was impressed with this cemetery because it had some pretty old gravestones. I didn't check out the whole thing because I wanted to get back out checking on developments but there are some dating back to the 1840's. Actually I saw one dating back to 1818, but I think the remains might have been moved there since Fayetteville didn't exist back in 1818.

My favorite is the train depot, I'm glad they are doing something with that.

Of course, the "Corliss rule" applies to Old Main, as always.

Okay what's the Corliss rule?

You're waking up as I'm going to sleep.

Man, my sleep schedule sucks :-(

That's what happens when you don't have school.

Yeah I don't usually see anyone on when I'm checking before I go to work.

Okay what's the Corliss rule?

Asking who the best Arkansas basketball player ever is, you have to except Corliss because everyone will say that he was. You have to remove him to have a discussion. It's kind of something that's used on radio a lot in LR, the "Corliss rule".

Old Main is clearly the best historic building in NWA so you kind of have to throw that one out to have an interesting discussion.

Wow, I think I saw one headstone that was dated 1818.

Yeah there is one dated 1818. It also mentioned remains though, I'm not sure if this person had been reburied. Especially since Fayetteville didn't come about till 1828. Either that person was reburied there or there were a few people living in that are before Fayetteville existed. Aside from that one I think the oldest ones I saw were the 1840's. But I didn't look the whole cemetery over. I have other pics of some of the 1840 dated gravestones but they either didn't come out well or some were so hard to see in the first place. I thought the one in Latin was odd.

Here's a couple of pics of the Ozark Building. It lies just north of the Old Courthouse. It just celebrated it's 100th anniversary the other week. It sounds like it had an interesting past, hosting a number of different types of entertainment over the years. Some boxing matches at one point. It eventually became a Malco Theater back in the 40's I believe. But Malco moved out of the buildings in the 70's. I haven't heard but I'm assuming they went to the Razorback Malco location. The building was then empty for a couple of decades until efforts were made to restore it. It used to be a bit larger but at some point part of the actual theater part had been demolished. Also at some point there had been another exterior applied. They tried to restore the old exterior but they would have had to damage it so much to remove the concrete that they decided to simply stucco over the exterior. I'll also include an old pic too that I came across.

ozark2ni.gif

img6011s4om.jpg

img6012s4gv.jpg

Here's another building built in 1905 just like the Ozark Building, the Old Washington County Courthouse. I believe it's undergoing some interior renovations. Overall the building remains relatively the same as when it was built. There's been a small addition it looks like added on in the back. Not really sure when that was done. Although I do know that at one point the stairs leading up faced straight out. But they had to move the stairs since it was so close to the College Ave. I'm not sure it's quite the landmark building that Old Main is on the campus but in Fayetteville it's pretty close.

img2796m3cs.jpg

img2800m5dr.jpg

fc013ix.jpg

fc022hs.jpg

img4145s2ux.jpg

fn0083eh.jpg

img6014s2kb.jpg

img6023s4qi.jpg

img6027s4hu.jpg

Guess I should return back to this topic again. I don't have much info on these buildings but they are all on the Square. I positively know that two of them were built in the 1880's and I'm pretty sure the other one was too. It just looks like something very typically built in that time period. The first one I'm not positive on the name but I just call it the Mrs Young Building since that name is on the front. It was built in 1887.

img6053s7ri.jpg

The second is right next to it and is the Bank of Fayetteville Building. I don't know the date on it. But as I said earlier I'm pretty sure it was also built in the 1880's.

img6054s9rj.jpg

The third building I'm not sure of the name. It's just across the street from the Bank of Fayetteville Building previously mentioned. It was built in 1889.

img6055s3ms.jpg

img6057s5hd.jpg

The Bank of Fayetteville Building is my favorite.

So I guess the city grew from the Square, or did it grow more in the Downtown area.

I'm pretty sure the Square area was the beginning of Fayetteville and it grew from there. Despite the odd shape of the Fayetteville city limits apparently the geographical center of the city is just a block or so away from the Square. I found that out not long ago. I thought it was weird because I never would have guess that. The city doesn't seem particularly evenly spread out.

Okay thought I'd post a few more pics of the Evergreen Cemetery before I move on. A few of the older or more interesting gravestones.

img5948s0de.jpg

img5970s1pm.jpg

img5955s2ta.jpg

img5953s1cx.jpg

img5943s3fc.jpg

img5967s9dg.jpg

Evergreen Cemetery was founded in the 1830s or 1840s, the Mary Stirman Pollard gravestone reads that she died in 1848, but the cross-bar on the 4 is eroded and very difficult to make out.

If you're interested in Evergreen, there is a web page devoted to it here:

http://www.projectpast.org/gvogel/Evergreen/Evergreen.html

Archived