Historic Buildings and Areas of Fayetteville

Mith242

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another building on the Square that's on the National Register of Historical Places. Until recently I didn't realize how old it was. It was built in 1886 although it was remodeled in the 1920's. I just always thought the building was from the '20's and not any older than that. It's known as the Guisinger's Music House Building. But it was originally Crenshaw & Putnam's Hardware Store on the main floor and a tin shop on the top floor. As I said it was remodeled in the 1920's and Ivan Guisinger opened a music store there. It remained there till 1981. Now it's a law firm.

87623454_3e141460d0_o.jpg

87627127_93bd6015c0_o.jpg

87627129_acdbafbcb9_o.jpg

87627131_2c166659f7_o.jpg

Here's some more shots of another building. It's actually just off Dickson St. I'm not sure but I think this may be the oldest church still standing in Fayetteville. It was built between 1872-1884 by W Z Mayes who also built Old Main. The bell at the church was 'liberated' from a Mexican monastery during the Mexican War in the mid 1800's.

88373642_7489d04ed9_o.jpg

88373643_2991c444ec_o.jpg

88373644_abb00650f7_o.jpg

88373645_a35a2924ed_o.jpg

Here's some more shots of another building. It's actually just off Dickson St. I'm not sure but I think this may be the oldest church still standing in Fayetteville. It was built between 1872-1884 by W Z Mayes who also built Old Main. The bell at the church was 'liberated' from a Mexican monastery during the Mexican War in the mid 1800's.

Great pics! Fayetteville really does have some of the most beautiful historic buildings I've ever seen. Or it could be that you just take the best pictures I've ever seen. :)

Great pics! Fayetteville really does have some of the most beautiful historic buildings I've ever seen. Or it could be that you just take the best pictures I've ever seen. :)

Well it helps living in a nice place and I have a pretty nice camera that deserves a lot of the credit. :lol: After you've taken as many pictures as I have you eventually pick up a few things here or there. But anyway thanks for the comments.

Here's some pics from the center of the Square, the Old Post Office. It was built in 1909. Three previous buildings have occupied the site, all courthouses. Not sure why it was eventually moved unless there just wasn't enough room for the type of building they wanted. The first courthouse was built at this spot in 1837 and was a log building that cost $49.75. The current building is usually more enjoyable to see when it's warmer and all the vegetation comes out. But it makes it a bit hard to get good views of the building.

img0413s6jn.jpg

img0417s9ny.jpg

img0418s7nf.jpg

• 9 months later...

The city of Fayetteville has reestablished the Historic District Commission and is working with the state preservation organization to establish 2 or more commercial historic districts within the 350 acres that is considered downtown Fayetteville. It will take some time (6-18 months) but the work has begun to formalize the historic areas (1-district defined and recognized by the National Register) and then hopefully protect some of the older buildings (2-establish some design guidelines.) You can probably expect one district to be identified at a time so it will be ongoing process.

This will take some time to set up but a movement has started to retain and reuse the historic buildings on Dickson and around the downtown area. Hopefully this will happen fast enough before anyone razes more of the old buildings or too many infill projects aren

• 6 months later...

An educational/informational opportunity on blending progress with preservation...

Historic District Commission to Hold Preservation Information Session

Fayetteville, AR- Interested in preserving the historic integrity of your neighborhood or business district? The City of Fayetteville Historic District Commission will hold a preservation information session on Thursday, May 24 at 6:30 p.m. at the Inn at Carnall Hall. Commissioners and City staff will discuss tools, including a local ordinance district, which community members may use to protect the historic value of their properties. Local ordinance districts enable owners to protect the historic integrity of their neighborhoods or business districts through design guidelines established by the community. Attendees will also learn about their eligibility for federal tax credits for renovations to historic structures.

Mayor Dan Coody will open the meeting at 6:20 p.m. with a proclamation declaring May National Preservation Month, which is sponsored by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Downtown and National Register district property owners are encouraged to attend the session.

For more information contact:

Karen Minkel

Senior Long Range Planner

City of Fayetteville

(479) 575-8271

An educational/informational opportunity on blending progress with preservation...

Historic District Commission to Hold Preservation Information Session

Fayetteville, AR- Interested in preserving the historic integrity of your neighborhood or business district? The City of Fayetteville Historic District Commission will hold a preservation information session on Thursday, May 24 at 6:30 p.m. at the Inn at Carnall Hall. Commissioners and City staff will discuss tools, including a local ordinance district, which community members may use to protect the historic value of their properties. Local ordinance districts enable owners to protect the historic integrity of their neighborhoods or business districts through design guidelines established by the community. Attendees will also learn about their eligibility for federal tax credits for renovations to historic structures.

Mayor Dan Coody will open the meeting at 6:20 p.m. with a proclamation declaring May National Preservation Month, which is sponsored by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Downtown and National Register district property owners are encouraged to attend the session.

For more information contact:

Karen Minkel

Senior Long Range Planner

City of Fayetteville

(479) 575-8271

Archived