Rogers, Arkansas

tim2462

Now, on a different note, did anyone see where the expo center in Rogers on Walnut has been purchased for 2 million (it appraised at 4)? As much as I hate to see "corrections" happen in the real estate market there are lots of opportunities, and the paper seemed to hint that this might, just might be the location for the rumored Incredible Pizza Company in NWA.

Thanks for getting this discussion back on-topic. I think you've hit the nail right on the head about Incredible Pizza. It would be a perfect location for it since it's right across from Wal-Mart which means a LOT of potential customers. The size is just right for all the rides, arcade, dining room and everything else AND it already has a large kitchen that serves the banquet hall. There is ample parking and being a short walk to Frisco Station Mall could be a HUGE blessing for the near dead mall. That is a pretty busy section of Walnut Ave, but there's access points at 3 compass points; several directly on Walnut Ave, a private road leads west to 24th Street, and there are a few access points on through the mall parking lot to Dixieland Road. It would be an absolutely perfect location.

• 1 month later...

Forgot to mention this last week. Sounds like a number of Rogers officials are over in Chattanooga studying how they revived their city, in particular the downtown area. Looks like Rogers is still pretty serious about getting something going around the downtown/eastern part of the city. There's been some talk before about trying to locate one of the possible museums that's been talked about around that area. They've mentioned the new Harp's in that area being an anchor. Not sure if I've heard of a grocery store being much of an anchor, but I admit I've heard it's been doing extremely well over there. I know I've said it before, but I'll repeat it again. There's a lot of potential in downtown Rogers. I think it's just a matter of time before more happens in that area. I could be wrong but I think it might have the only commercial historical district in NWA. Fayetteville went through a phase where it's downtown suffered but then people realized the potential of it's downtown. I think Rogers is in the same situation. A decade or so from now I think downtown Rogers will have a lot more going on.

Forgot to mention this last week. Sounds like a number of Rogers officials are over in Chattanooga studying how they revived their city, in particular the downtown area. Looks like Rogers is still pretty serious about getting something going around the downtown/eastern part of the city. There's been some talk before about trying to locate one of the possible museums that's been talked about around that area. They've mentioned the new Harp's in that area being an anchor. Not sure if I've heard of a grocery store being much of an anchor, but I admit I've heard it's been doing extremely well over there. I know I've said it before, but I'll repeat it again. There's a lot of potential in downtown Rogers. I think it's just a matter of time before more happens in that area. I could be wrong but I think it might have the only commercial historical district in NWA. Fayetteville went through a phase where it's downtown suffered but then people realized the potential of it's downtown. I think Rogers is in the same situation. A decade or so from now I think downtown Rogers will have a lot more going on.

Mith, I read that same article and found myself shaking my head.

That Harp's has indeed been doing well. But...an anchor for downtown? Are folks going to drive from Fayetteville, Fort Smith, McDonald County (all 60,000 of them predicted in the next decade or so) or Little Rock to see the Victory Theatre (the other talked about anchor in that article)? When I lived in Atlanta we'd drive up to the Chattanooga Aquarium...folks from Nashville did, too - and it was worth a drive up there (that was before the gas price increases of today).

Either they've got big plans for the Victory Theatre, or - well, let's see what they come up with.

Mith, I read that same article and found myself shaking my head.

That Harp's has indeed been doing well. But...an anchor for downtown? Are folks going to drive from Fayetteville, Fort Smith, McDonald County (all 60,000 of them predicted in the next decade or so) or Little Rock to see the Victory Theatre (the other talked about anchor in that article)? When I lived in Atlanta we'd drive up to the Chattanooga Aquarium...folks from Nashville did, too - and it was worth a drive up there (that was before the gas price increases of today).

Either they've got big plans for the Victory Theatre, or - well, let's see what they come up with.

Yeah, I wonder have things been that bad down there if a grocery store is an anchor for the area? Maybe it's a start at least. I wish I could remember what building the Victory Theatre was. It's been a while since I looked around the downtown. I really need to go back and take a look around. I've heard talk of the Children's Museum being located around that area. I'm not sure if that one is certain or just in the planning stage. But it sounds like Rogers is really trying to get one of the possible museums that's been talked about in that area.

Here's a question for our Benton County contributors- is the little windmill mounted on a light pole in the Pleasant Grove Wal-Mart Supercenter parking lot actually generating electricity or is it just for show? I know they are trying to be green these days but that is a curious sight.

Edited by zman9810

Here's a question for our Benton County contributors- is the little windmill mounted on a light pole in the Pleasant Grove Wal-Mart Supercenter parking lot actually generating electricity or is it just for show? I know they are trying to be green these days but that is a curious sight.

I posted about this in the Wind power thread in the Coffeehouse. I probably should've posted it here too but didn't think of it. Well it's actually generating electricity. All of the light poles in the parking lot are ran off of it. Yeah I saw it a few days ago and was wondering what it was for. You don't really see much of those here in NWA. Someone asked that question on KNWA, it was apart of the great "flippin" question segment. I'm going to try to get a picture of it and upload it on here, here in a few days.

I posted about this in the Wind power thread in the Coffeehouse. I probably should've posted it here too but didn't think of it. Well it's actually generating electricity. All of the light poles in the parking lot are ran off of it. Yeah I saw it a few days ago and was wondering what it was for. You don't really see much of those here in NWA. Someone asked that question on KNWA, it was apart of the great "flippin" question segment. I'm going to try to get a picture of it and upload it on here, here in a few days.

That's pretty cool- it was moving at a good speed today but seemed kind of small to generate much electricty. I'd like to have one of those- Ozarks wouldn't get much dough from me if I had one. Thanks for the info.

That's pretty cool- it was moving at a good speed today but seemed kind of small to generate much electricty. I'd like to have one of those- Ozarks wouldn't get much dough from me if I had one. Thanks for the info.

Yeah I was thinking it wasn't too big also and wouldn't generate much. But I guess every little bit helps.

Rogers needs to focus on its family-oriented amenities which is the only category that Rogers already excels well over neighboring Fayetteville, Springdale and Bentonville. Rogers boasts great city and neighborhood parks, a state-of-the-art recreation center, large public library, a splash park, a skate park, a truly modern new high school, a historic museum, a live theatre, a historic downtown mainstreet area, a new regional outdoor mall, restaurants galore, endless nice, safe suburban neighborhoods and rapidly growing warehouse, retail and services job sectors. Rogers' Annual Frisco Festival is the region's largest and most family-oriented festival and Rogers is host to several fairs, carnivals and family circuses throughout the year. Add the future Chuck-E Cheese, the Great American Pizza Company and a possible Children's Museum and Rogers will easily secure its title as the "best place to raise a family in NWA."

Whatever plans that Rogers makes for its future needs to recognize the fact that half of the families in Rogers are of Hispanic origins and all of Rogers' family-oriented amenities are mostly used by Hispanic families. One of the challenges that Rogers faces as a city is figuring out a way of attracting jobs, businesses and families to areas dominated by Hispanic residents without running into the problems of "white flight" where most non-Hispanic businesses and families may be hesitant to move into a predominantly Hispanic area. Why are young families and new residents more interested in booming commercial areas in southwest Rogers than in the older part of the city? Because there aren't any hispanics living there. Painful fact.

Rogers to consider tree ordinance. We love our tree ordinance in Fayetteville. Hope y'all get one too.

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/10/...00307rzplan.txt

Sounds like Rogers already has a tree ordinance and its been in use for some time. I'd like to see what the real difference is between Rogers' grading ordinance and the tree ordinance they're proposing.

Sounds like Rogers already has a tree ordinance and its been in use for some time. I'd like to see what the real difference is between Rogers' grading ordinance and the tree ordinance they're proposing.

It sounds like its something more like Fayetteville's which is pretty indepth. Fayetteville's specifies tree coverage, tree preservation, the types of trees required, their width, etc. It prevents entire areas from becoming "Bradford Pear" forests.

It sounds like its something more like Fayetteville's which is pretty indepth. Fayetteville's specifies tree coverage, tree preservation, the types of trees required, their width, etc. It prevents entire areas from becoming "Bradford Pear" forests.

Yeah I have nothing against Bradford pears, they are nice trees. But I also don't want whole areas of the city with nothing but those trees either. Anyway I was wondering if Roger's grade ordinance is a bit similar to something like Fayetteville's hillside ordinance. I noticed that article already has someone questioning the logic of the ordinance. I suppose it can be frustrating feeling like you suddenly can't do things with your property. But it's not really as bad as it sounds. What if your neighbor suddenly wanted to turn the lot around his house into a bit of a junkyard? I imagine people are glad there's probably some sort of ordinance to prevent that from happening. While some may argue that it's Fayetteville's ordinances that is pushing many developments north to Benton County. I think it's just the fact that with so many vendors moving to the area that have a higher income, many choose to also live in Benton County where they work. They have more disposable income so of course developers want to provide amenities closer to those who will spend money. But Fayetteville still seems to have many people lined up who want to live here and all those ordinances seem to be helping with Fayetteville's quality of life and one of the reasons it gets ranked so well in so many polls and rankings. Anyway enough of my 'rant'. I think this is a good step for Rogers.

I didn't know where else to put this but I figured it would do best in this thread. Mayor Womack came to the high school today for a DECA meeting and was talking about ever since he was mayor he wanted Rogers to become a town that wasn't just going to be a bedroom community. He was talking about developments like the Promenade, the John Q. Hammons Center, and the WTC. Whenever he was talking about the Promenade, he said that it was the best shopping center in Arkansas and I think he said that it was one of the best in the mid-south. I think that Park Plaza is on par with the Promenade and Tulsa has better shopping centers. But, I guess that's what the mayor has to say right? Anyways, it seems as if he is really wanting to make Rogers a "destination" town. So maybe this means that he'll start trying to do more to help the downtown area.

Edited by nwa_479

I think that Park Plaza is on par with the Promenade and Tulsa has better shopping centers.

Got to disagree about the Park Plaza statement.

The Promenade blows it out of the water, in my opinion. The Promenade is much bigger, has more stores, better stores, has a better overall atmosphere, has a better Dillards, Movie Theater, Restaurants, and it will continue to improve, unlike Park Plaza.

When my parents are in town for the football games (they live in Benton), they'll wait to do whatever "mall shopping" they need to do here at the Promenade.

I guess you're right about that one. The three stories got to me there. But, Little Rock will out do the Promenade with a Promenade of their own (The Promenade at Chenal). Supposedly it's going to get an Apple Store. If an Apple Store comes then who knows what other stores will come. I agree with you on the part of the atmosphere and how the growth is going to increase.

I didn't know where else to put this but I figured it would do best in this thread. Mayor Womack came to the high school today for a DECA meeting and was talking about ever since he was mayor he wanted Rogers to become a town that wasn't just going to be a bedroom community. He was talking about developments like the Promenade, the John Q. Hammons Center, and the WTC. Whenever he was talking about the Promenade, he said that it was the best shopping center in Arkansas and I think he said that it was one of the best in the mid-south. I think that Park Plaza is on par with the Promenade and Tulsa has better shopping centers. But, I guess that's what the mayor has to say right? Anyways, it seems as if he is really wanting to make Rogers a "destination" town. So maybe this means that he'll start trying to do more to help the downtown area.

I don't think anyone can say Rogers is just a bedroom community. Yeah Bentonville is getting Crystal Bridges, but everything else in Benton County seems to be happening in Rogers.

I don't know about Park Plaza, it's been way too many years since I've been there. But it could be better now since it apparently doesn't have the competition of the University Mall across the street anymore.

I don't have any issue with what he said at the high school. But I have heard him talk about other things that makes me wonder about him though.

I don't know about Park Plaza, it's been way too many years since I've been there. But it could be better now since it apparently doesn't have the competition of the University Mall across the street anymore.

It's been completely remodeled in the last year and it's really very nice but it's an indoor mall, it's kind of apples and oranges.

I like the fact they are going to make this a denser residential area. Cotswold Cottage style homes were popular for a short time here in the US in the past. I can't remember the time period though. Either way I think it was a short trend before everyone went to some other style that become more popular.

• 2 months later...

For the first time in 6 years Rogers has finally has had sales tax revenue drop. While most other NWA cities have already experienced this, it's new for Rogers. I think it caught some people off guard a bit and wasn't expected. I'm not sure if it's a sign of how bad the current market is or maybe a sign of some people starting to shop elsewhere now that the 'newness' of the Promenade is wearing off a bit or maybe a little of both.

For the first time in 6 years Rogers has finally has had sales tax revenue drop. While most other NWA cities have already experienced this, it's new for Rogers. I think it caught some people off guard a bit and wasn't expected. I'm not sure if it's a sign of how bad the current market is or maybe a sign of some people starting to shop elsewhere now that the 'newness' of the Promenade is wearing off a bit or maybe a little of both.

I doubt that the Promenade's newness wearing off had much to do with a decrease in Rogers' sales tax revenue because sales tax revenue was increasing in Rogers for several years before the Promenade opened. When the Promenade opened in October of 2006 there was a 21 percent citywide sales-tax increase over October 2005. It was expected that October 2007 would not top that. I agree with Mayor Womack that gas prices and the construction slowdown has a lot to do with the decrease. People are making less money and facing questionable futures this year. I don't expect that to change for quite some time in the future. I also heard that gift cards were the big thing this year so it's not just a problem in Rogers. December and January sales will probably show some increases, but restaurants and movie theatres may be the one's to see the biggest increases in revenue.

I doubt that the Promenade's newness wearing off had much to do with a decrease in Rogers' sales tax revenue because sales tax revenue was increasing in Rogers for several years before the Promenade opened. When the Promenade opened in October of 2006 there was a 21 percent citywide sales-tax increase over October 2005. It was expected that October 2007 would not top that. I agree with Mayor Womack that gas prices and the construction slowdown has a lot to do with the decrease. People are making less money and facing questionable futures this year. I don't expect that to change for quite some time in the future. I also heard that gift cards were the big thing this year so it's not just a problem in Rogers. December and January sales will probably show some increases, but restaurants and movie theatres may be the one's to see the biggest increases in revenue.

Yeah I had heard that they weren't expecting to top last years revenue, but I did get the impression they were surprised at the drop. Either way it took this long for Rogers to finally drop in revenue. Something that no other NWA city can state.

• 1 month later...