Rogers, Arkansas

tim2462

Do tell....

I've heard Rockline was not only expandng production (announced recently) but relocating their HQ here. Don't know if that's worthy of a tall building. It sounds like a great downtown Springdale anchor tennet considering the Walmart ties to both now.

Edited by TRB

I've heard Rockline was not only expandng production (announced recently) but relocating their HQ here. Don't know if that's worthy of a tall building. It sounds like a great downtown Springdale anchor tennet considering the Walmart ties to both now.

The company I was talking about is called ERC based out of Fort Smith, the Citywire did an article about it. I also don't think that this would worthy of a tall be building as well but time will tell. 

The company I was talking about is called ERC based out of Fort Smith, the Citywire did an article about it. I also don't think that this would worthy of a tall be building as well but time will tell. 

ERC is building a small office building for themselves and will have a office park with lease space. But all single and maybe 2 story structures. I don't think there are any tower type buildings on the horizon and there is quite a bit of space coming online that needs to be absorbed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

JB Hunt has broken ground on their new office tower.  Unfortunately for the skyscraper lovers, it is essentially being built on the lowest part of their property there in Lowell.  There's a sign by the freeway, but I haven't been able to find a rendering anywhere online.

JB Hunt has broken ground on their new office tower.  Unfortunately for the skyscraper lovers, it is essentially being built on the lowest part of their property there in Lowell.  There's a sign by the freeway, but I haven't been able to find a rendering anywhere online.

yeah, I've seen it. Several weeks worth of work already and yes, while more levels it's going down not up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2015, 8:46:35, Rory12 said:

Think we'll ever get a Kroger out this way? 

I'm really not sure.  I think most grocery chains are hesitant to take on Walmart in their own backyard.  Walmart also recently really saturated NWA with new stores as well.  It could happen at some point from someone new to this area.  But I don't see anyone rushing in to our market to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2015, 5:29:33, Mith242 said:

I'm really not sure.  I think most grocery chains are hesitant to take on Walmart in their own backyard.  Walmart also recently really saturated NWA with new stores as well.  It could happen at some point from someone new to this area.  But I don't see anyone rushing in to our market to be honest.

I really hate this. Grocery shopping in NWA is really not up to par with most areas our size, or even much smaller areas for that matter.

I recently visited the massive new Kroger superstore in Saline County. It offers such a better experience than anything we have here in every single way. More products than Walmart or Harps, better deli, sushi bar, very large organic/natural foods section, florist, Starbucks, bakery, etc.

I also recently visited a couple of friends, one in Lubbock and one in Tallahassee. The United stores in TX and the Publix chain in Florida are just incredible upgrades over what Walmart and Harp's offer.

Natural Grocers, Fresh Market, Ozark, and soon Whole Foods, are all nice alternatives. But I really am not happy with any of the larger offerings here. I have a hard time believing a very nice Kroger store would not do well. I would travel a little further just for the better experience. 

Edited by Sammy00

2 hours ago, Sammy00 said:

I really hate this. Grocery shopping in NWA is really not up to par with most areas our size, or even much smaller areas for that matter.

I recently visited the massive new Kroger superstore in Saline County. It offers such a better experience than anything we have here in every single way. More products than Walmart or Harps, better deli, sushi bar, very large organic/natural foods section, florist, Starbucks, bakery, etc.

I also recently visited a couple of friends, one in Lubbock and one in Tallahassee. The United stores in TX and the Publix chain in Florida are just incredible upgrades over what Walmart and Harp's offer.

Natural Grocers, Fresh Market, Ozark, and soon Whole Foods, are all nice alternatives. But I really am not happy with any of the larger offerings here. I have a hard time believing a very nice Kroger store would not do well. I would travel a little further just for the better experience. 

Oh I'm sure Kroger's or someone else could put in a very nice store.  The problem is Walmart retaliating.  Not just the fact that Walmart is notorious in opening stores right next to a competing store that are doing well.  And I think other grocery chains are worried about Walmart taking notice of their stores in other parts of the country.  Walmart has the resources to really ramp up competition if they feel some other chain is going to try to take them on in their backyard.  I'm not necessarily saying Walmart would do something like this.  But they could, and it's that fact that I believe keeps most chains from testing the waters here in NWA.

11 hours ago, jb1087 said:

We're in an interesting area for Kroger specifically.  Doesn't seem like Oklahoma or SW Missouri (Springfield) has any of the Kroger brands (Kroger and the variations of add-on names or Dillons in Kansas, etc).

We basically had Krogers, it was called Dillon and they chose to leave the market than upgrade. Kroger has really evolved over the past 5 years in terms of what their new stores are like than, oh say, what you would have found in West Memphis 10 years ago. It really is interesting, Kroger is now dominate in markets like Memphis with new, amazing stores with growler refills and whatnot and you'll hear "I wish we had Publix, they are awesome" all the time. You see the same fascination with fast food and full serve chains as well. 

8 hours ago, TRB said:

We basically had Krogers, it was called Dillon and they chose to leave the market than upgrade. Kroger has really evolved over the past 5 years in terms of what their new stores are like than, oh say, what you would have found in West Memphis 10 years ago. It really is interesting, Kroger is now dominate in markets like Memphis with new, amazing stores with growler refills and whatnot and you'll hear "I wish we had Publix, they are awesome" all the time. You see the same fascination with fast food and full serve chains as well. 

That's interesting, I didn't realize Dillons was ever around here.  Little Rock is similar to Memphis.  It's funny, when you think of Walmart's connection to Arkansas, growing up in Little Rock in the 80s and 90s, there was ever very little Walmart presence.  WM's footprint in Little Rock is still tiny when compared to Kroger.  

16 hours ago, jb1087 said:

That's interesting, I didn't realize Dillons was ever around here.  Little Rock is similar to Memphis.  It's funny, when you think of Walmart's connection to Arkansas, growing up in Little Rock in the 80s and 90s, there was ever very little Walmart presence.  WM's footprint in Little Rock is still tiny when compared to Kroger.  

Till the mid 80's Walmart stayed away from big metros, it wasn't until the mid 80's when they enter Memphis proper and then it was stores on the edges. The old store close to the Mall of Memphis was Memphis' 3rd store. To this day, there's still a void of a store inside the loop in Memphis only around the edges since the old Mall of Memphis store closed up when the mall failed. Sam's are the only thing inside the loop at Lamar and that was close to the Mall of Memphis as well.

KMart put a Supercenter in Rogers once, I don't know how that store did but the company overall was in trouble and it didn't last las long. They couldn't compete in prices from what I could tell if little in the way of a better shopping experience. Target cut back on full fledged Supercenter as well. What I have noticed is like the store in Rogers, a good sized grocery area comparable to the selection at a Walmart NM without much in the way of fresh meat, produce and bakery/deli depts. Now some stores in Memphis like the one in east Memphis carries a limited selection of fresh meat and produce and I mean limited. I only think that is due to their being a Super Target and needing to carry the ad items in all area stores.

Edited by TRB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...