tim2462

Rogers, Arkansas

677 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, jb1087 said:

I noticed that as well.  Originally I was wondering if one of our two would go down, but after seeing the list and realizing how many very small markets (I know, relative term) they're in, wasn't as surprised.  IMHO, Blytheville, AR was lucky to have ever had one, especially with Memphis being so close and Jonesboro having one as well.

Bytheville was fine back in the 80's with a healthy sized SAC base. JC Penny was also reliant on catalog sales and it did a good bit of business when folks picked up their orders. There was a Montgomery Wards there as well along with a Sears Catalog Store that sold a small selection of tvs, appliances, and lawn equipment. My Grandparents shopped all three. 

Jonesboro would have been closer, not Memphis. At 55 mph of the 80's, a JC Penny's in Memphis was nearly two hrs away with the Mall of Memphis being the easiest to get to. I think you are confusing the way things were back then.

Russellville kept theirs and I think Searcy has one too.

Marked Tree even had a Sears Catalog Store once

Edited by TRB

18 hours ago, TRB said:

Bytheville was fine back in the 80's with a healthy sized SAC base. JC Penny was also reliant on catalog sales and it did a good bit of business when folks picked up their orders. There was a Montgomery Wards there as well along with a Sears Catalog Store that sold a small selection of tvs, appliances, and lawn equipment. My Grandparents shopped all three. 

Jonesboro would have been closer, not Memphis. At 55 mph of the 80's, a JC Penny's in Memphis was nearly two hrs away with the Mall of Memphis being the easiest to get to. I think you are confusing the way things were back then.

Oh I believe it 30 years ago.  Just shocked to hear they still had the location in 2017 when that city's population has declined by 1/3 since the 80s and with retail becoming increasingly fragmented.

Edited by jb1087