Rogers, Arkansas

tim2462

Yes, but the majority use the 9-12 system. I agree with MasonsDad that they should either turn a few elementary schools into magnet schools or build new one's. That way, the high school can build up large classes of students interested in the magnet school system and continue their education at the Magnet High.

I can buy into the junior high/middle school magnet schools somewhat (though I'm not enthusiastic about them) but I think elementaries shouldn't be too focused. I think 5 years of age is too early for kids to decide what their interests are and I'd be worried that it would become a way to push the parent's interests.

I can buy into the junior high/middle school magnet schools somewhat (though I'm not enthusiastic about them) but I think elementaries shouldn't be too focused. I think 5 years of age is too early for kids to decide what their interests are and I'd be worried that it would become a way to push the parent's interests.

My niece and nephew winning a scholarship to the St. Petersburg Magnet elemetary school made a huge difference. They had so much fun putting on all the plays and all that they couldn't wait to do more. It's true that by putting kids into a Magnet school might guide them away from their true calling by deciding early on what their goal will be. It kind of reminds me of the old castrato's from 17th century Europe where choir boys would be castrated at a young age so they could become great opera singers. The reason being that women weren't allowed to perform on stage back then so men had to fit the roles of women in the arts.... anyway. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I keep forgetting to mention I've been seeing commercials for some condos in Rogers. I had wondered about it but kept forgetting to look more into it. But I happened to see something in the paper today. It sounds like the Stone Manor condos started off as a nice apartment building and then they decided to turn them into condos. Anyway apparently a Little Rock group has now bought the development. I think this is a website for them.

http://www.stonemanor-rogers.com/

Edited by Mith242

I keep forgetting to mention I've been seeing commercials for some condos in Rogers. I had wondered about it but kept forgetting to look more into it. But I happened to see something in the paper today. It sounds like the Stone Manor condos started off as a nice apartment building and then they decided to turn them into condos. Anyway apparently a Little Rock group has now bought the development. I think this is a website for them.

http://www.stonemanor-rogers.com/

I've seen those on the hill over that two-story bank at the north end of Pinnacle Hills. They look pretty nice from the freeway.

Other than seeing the commercials and hearing about them being bought by another company I can't say I know much about them. But at least some condos are becoming available in Rogers. But it looks like Dickson St still seems to be the only area that's been able to get some condo 'towers' going instead of the low rise apartment-like or townhouse style condos. But to be honest I think those seem to be preferable to many buyers.

Other than seeing the commercials and hearing about them being bought by another company I can't say I know much about them. But at least some condos are becoming available in Rogers. But it looks like Dickson St still seems to be the only area that's been able to get some condo 'towers' going instead of the low rise apartment-like or townhouse style condos. But to be honest I think those seem to be preferable to many buyers.

They're more like extremly nice townhomes. They are pretty nice, very similar to the Condos at the Peaks except they are two story.

• 2 weeks later...

The mascot and colors of the second high school for Rogers has been decided. The team will be the Rogers War Eagles and wear the colors of navy, orange, and white. :huh: .

Also, the school board has announced that a third high school and middle school will be on 80 acres west of I-540 near Silo Falls subdivision and Bellview Road. The Mills Family is going to donoate the $6 Million amount of land to the school. I don't quite agree with this location, simply because there's already a high school that serves the southern and western portions of Rogers. The second high school will serve the eastern portion of the city, but who's taking care of the northern part of the city? There's plenty of land near Mathias Elementary for a high school, but they want to develop it as a sports park. These schools are clearly going to have huge social and demographic differences, seeing as how one is near Pinnacle, one's in the booming southern portion, and the other is in the more poorer area of town.

The mascot and colors of the second high school for Rogers has been decided. The team will be the Rogers War Eagles and wear the colors of navy, orange, and white. :huh: .

Also, the school board has announced that a third high school and middle school will be on 80 acres west of I-540 near Silo Falls subdivision and Bellview Road. The Mills Family is going to donoate the $6 Million amount of land to the school. I don't quite agree with this location, simply because there's already a high school that serves the southern and western portions of Rogers. The second high school will serve the eastern portion of the city, but who's taking care of the northern part of the city? There's plenty of land near Mathias Elementary for a high school, but they want to develop it as a sports park. These schools are clearly going to have huge social and demographic differences, seeing as how one is near Pinnacle, one's in the booming southern portion, and the other is in the more poorer area of town.

Matt, what are they going to call the second high school, or have they made that decision yet? (The paper was referring to "RHS1" and "RHS2" today.)

why would they build a third high school if springdale has the highest student population but only has two?

Springdale is building a third high school, it will be finished by 2010.

Rogers is buiding a third high school simply because the current facility only houses students 11-12 and it has almost 2000 students. The sophomore center holds about 850-900. Rogers is going to 9-12 all in one building, so if you think about it, 4000 students in one building isn't right. In my opinon, a third high school is foolish and a waste of money. Fortunately, they are talking about making it a magnet school, so it might all work out.

Springdale is building a third high school, it will be finished by 2010.

Rogers is buiding a third high school simply because the current facility only houses students 11-12 and it has almost 2000 students. The sophomore center holds about 850-900. Rogers is going to 9-12 all in one building, so if you think about it, 4000 students in one building isn't right. In my opinon, a third high school is foolish and a waste of money. Fortunately, they are talking about making it a magnet school, so it might all work out.

oh ok, thanks mcheiss, do you know where the third springdale high school will be located? i think it would be perfect situated on the far east side close to the harps on Robinson Ave. (412 East)

oh ok, thanks mcheiss, do you know where the third springdale high school will be located? i think it would be perfect situated on the far east side close to the harps on Robinson Ave. (412 East)

Not sure. All I've been hearing is that they are planning for a third high school to be built by 2010.

It looks like the Thomas Kinkade Art Gallery in Downtown Rogers is going to close. The owner is closing it, because it has been too much of a burden operating it. It surely will be missed, hopefully they can sell the space to another art gallery.

I also wonder if the Thomas Kinkade craze is starting to slow down as well.

It looks like the Thomas Kinkade Art Gallery in Downtown Rogers is going to close. The owner is closing it, because it has been too much of a burden operating it. It surely will be missed, hopefully they can sell the space to another art gallery.

I never realized the Thomas Kinkade Art Gallery moved from the rundown Shelby Lane Mall to downtown. I guess it wasn't such a good idea. Indoor flea markets are more affordable than downtowns, especially when you weren't doing much business to begin with.

I never realized the Thomas Kinkade Art Gallery moved from the rundown Shelby Lane Mall to downtown. I guess it wasn't such a good idea. Indoor flea markets are more affordable than downtowns, especially when you weren't doing much business to begin with.

Again, she didn't close it because of financial reasons, she closed it because she wanted to spend time with her family and such.

Again, she didn't close it because of financial reasons, she closed it because she wanted to spend time with her family and such.

I wonder if the lease rates are going up much in downtown Rogers compared to other downtowns in NWA. The Kinkade Gallery may never have been very profitable to begin with since it seems that it was more of a passion to the owner than a business.

So, what do you guys think about the mayor's e-mail regarding illegal immigration. I understand he's riled up because a Rogers police officer was killed but this is dangerous territory, especially in an area really dependent on illegal labor. If all of the illegals left tomorrow Tyson would really suffer and people would have to bus their own tables and clean their own dishes at restaurants. Be careful what you wish for.

So, what do you guys think about the mayor's e-mail regarding illegal immigration. I understand he's riled up because a Rogers police officer was killed but this is dangerous territory, especially in an area really dependent on illegal labor. If all of the illegals left tomorrow Tyson would really suffer and people would have to bus their own tables and clean their own dishes at restaurants. Be careful what you wish for.

Are the police positive that it was an illegal immigrant who was the trigger man?

Yeah but I wonder if it's not more bark than bite. Not to say that they won't crack down but I wonder if it's more just trying to get a 'message' across. But I guess we'll just have to see how things go. Maybe the Rogers mayor is trying to push the hispanics to the other NWA cities.

Are the police positive that it was an illegal immigrant who was the trigger man?

Yes. It was during a bust on a drug house run by illegals. The mayor said that almost all of the violent crime in Rogers is committed by illegals, which is largely true.

But I guess we'll just have to see how things go. Maybe the Rogers mayor is trying to push the hispanics to the other NWA cities.

I hadn't thought about it but you're probably right. There is a bit of urban decay and an increase in crime in Rogers that probably bothers him when otherwise the city has good things happening in just about every sense. Pushing the immigrants out to Springdale would solve a lot of Rogers' problems, I guess.

Killed? The detective was shot.