Rogers, Arkansas

tim2462

• 2 weeks later...

Greg House is trying for the third time to get a mixed-use development approved. It's ironic the one thing I hear a number of people complain about NWA (especially here on UP) is that it's so much suburban style growth. Apparently Gregg House has tried to make this a more 'urban' style of development. Putting building closer to the streets and such. But so far Rogers city officials haven't liked the idea. Even if he gets the city on board there's still going to be complaints of the neighbors at the Overland Park subdivision who apparently also aren't happy about the development.

Greg House is trying for the third time to get a mixed-use development approved. It's ironic the one thing I hear a number of people complain about NWA (especially here on UP) is that it's so much suburban style growth. Apparently Gregg House has tried to make this a more 'urban' style of development. Putting building closer to the streets and such. But so far Rogers city officials haven't liked the idea. Even if he gets the city on board there's still going to be complaints of the neighbors at the Overland Park subdivision who apparently also aren't happy about the development.

Thats really odd that he is having trouble getting approval.

Oh well, bring it to Fayetteville, Gregg.

Rogers' commercial growth is pretty amazing btw.

Thats really odd that he is having trouble getting approval.

Oh well, bring it to Fayetteville, Gregg.

Rogers' commercial growth is pretty amazing btw.

Yeah but in a number of instances Fayetteville isn't doing real great either. How many great projects came up last year, and had problems getting approved.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep looking for a good vantage point to take photos of the southwest Rogers skyline but there doesn't seem to be one that includes it all. Here's a couple from different directions showing the amazing growth that area has experienced the last few years. The first photo is taken from the area where the proposed 10 story building is supposed to go and the second is looking back at the same area.

DSCN0706.jpg

DSCN0712.jpg

I like that first pic... it looks so Planoesque! Thanks for those pics.

I keep looking for a good vantage point to take photos of the southwest Rogers skyline but there doesn't seem to be one that includes it all. Here's a couple from different directions showing the amazing growth that area has experienced the last few years. The first photo is taken from the area where the proposed 10 story building is supposed to go and the second is looking back at the same area.

DSCN0706.jpg

Too bad that 22 story Westin isn't coming to life. I don't even know if they're going to build the 8 story Westin anymore. Any clues? I would take some pictures but my camera doesn't work properly anymore. Like whenever I take pictures, the pictures comes out really blurry and has a lot white lines running up and down the picture. It all of a sudden just did this. has anyone encountered this problem?

Edited by nwa_479

Too bad that 22 story Westin isn't coming to life. I don't even know if they're going to build the 8 story Westin anymore. Any clues? I would take some pictures but my camera doesn't work properly anymore. Like whenever I take pictures, the pictures comes out really blurry and has a lot white lines running up and down the picture. It all of a sudden just did this. has anyone encountered this problem?

I have no idea about the Westin. Wasn't Barber involved with it? If so, you have to wonder if it will ever go forward with all the difficulties he's having. Sorry to hear about your camera. I haven't ever had any of mine do anything like that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems like some place in Rogers has some hopes of still building a tall(er) building:

Height adjustment

I read about that earlier today. At least the developers are willing to compromise. Although I really don't think the developers should have to. They are following Rogers' ordinances already. If people don't like it then the ordinances need to be rewritten. People might not like the idea of a building that tall being in that area, but the city ordinance allows it for that particular area. That's not the developer's fault at all.

I read about that earlier today. At least the developers are willing to compromise. Although I really don't think the developers should have to. They are following Rogers' ordinances already. If people don't like it then the ordinances need to be rewritten. People might not like the idea of a building that tall being in that area, but the city ordinance allows it for that particular area. That's not the developer's fault at all.

Isn't this the same project where the city denied plans for a hotel because of parking problems so the the developers came back with plans for an office building that was even taller? Wonder when it changed back to a hotel?

Great photos! It's crazy to see the progress in that certain area of NWA. Every time I visit my friend down in Fayetteville, driving past Rogers on I-540 alway's gets my attention. There is usually something new everytime. I wish there was a topic in this forum that was just photos for all of the NWA cities. I really like to see the photos but I hardly ever find any.

Isn't this the same project where the city denied plans for a hotel because of parking problems so the the developers came back with plans for an office building that was even taller? Wonder when it changed back to a hotel?

I'm not sure to be honest. I remember people complaining about it when it first came to the city in this form, but it fit city ordinances so it passed. But I guess since a number of people complained the developers are trying to work with them and cut it down a little bit.

Great photos! It's crazy to see the progress in that certain area of NWA. Every time I visit my friend down in Fayetteville, driving past Rogers on I-540 alway's gets my attention. There is usually something new everytime. I wish there was a topic in this forum that was just photos for all of the NWA cities. I really like to see the photos but I hardly ever find any.

Yeah overall I guess most of the pics tend to get put right into the general topics. I've had a hard time getting some photography topics going.

• 2 months later...

I don't always do a good job of keeping up with what's going on in Benton County. But for a little bit of news for this area of the metro I'd heard that Rogers is trying to make some changes to Atalanta Park. I've never actually been but I've gotten the impression it's somewhat rundown or maybe the area of town it's in has become a bit rundown. I believe it's over on the east side of Rogers which hasn't really seen the activity the west side has seen. Either way I'm sure it will be nice to make some improvements in this area. I'm still a little surprised that east Rogers seems overlooked to developers. Just seems to me being close to Beaver lake and such would make that area loaded for potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the old St Mary's hospital in Rogers has been donated to the Jones Trust based in Springdale. They will have a number of nonprofit organizations based out of it. Not sure if they'll eventually turn it into a facility a bit more like the Jones Center in Springdale. But sounds like it could be a good thing for Rogers. Including having something that keeps some people a little closer to downtown Rogers, an area that gets overlooked by everything going on in west Rogers.

• 3 weeks later...

Rogers could be getting a very extensive trail system in the near future. Rogers has to spend $650,000 in 2008 and then again in 2009 to receive a matching grant of $1.3 Mil from the Walton Family Foundation. The Rogers Trail System master Plan eventually calls for 50 miles of trail. All that money could lead to a good head start on it. Although it would be a pretty big trip it's too bad Springdale is holding things up in the possibility of eventually having a regional trail system set up between Fayetteville and Rogers/Bentonville.

• 1 year later...

There is a new construction site behind the Pleasant Grove Wal Mart- anyone know what is going in there?

A year ago we would have known by reading the building permits in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette on Sunday. Now, since the merger, that source of information is no longer available to the public.

Edited by zman9810

There is a new construction site behind the Pleasant Grove Wal Mart- anyone know what is going in there?

A year ago we would have known by reading the building permits in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette on Sunday. Now, since the merger, that source of information is no longer available to the public.

In the past seems like some people were finding about things by using plumbing permits. Some companies like to be quiet before they move into an area, maybe in case they decide to back out at the last minute and don't want the negative publicity. But the plumbing permits tended to be a way to figure out. Only thing is I've never really had much luck with it myself. In fact I just did a little searching now and didn't really come up with anything. Maybe it varies from city to city on how that info is released. I would think a city's website would have that type of info somewhere. I wish I knew where people were finding that info in the past.

In the past seems like some people were finding about things by using plumbing permits. Some companies like to be quiet before they move into an area, maybe in case they decide to back out at the last minute and don't want the negative publicity. But the plumbing permits tended to be a way to figure out. Only thing is I've never really had much luck with it myself. In fact I just did a little searching now and didn't really come up with anything. Maybe it varies from city to city on how that info is released. I would think a city's website would have that type of info somewhere. I wish I knew where people were finding that info in the past.

I think building permits are public information that anyone can obtain - what the process is for doing so is a mystery to me, though. The Northwest Arkansas Newspapers are making themselves irrelevant by cutting back on development news. The Morning News was very good about covering each city's planning meetings and the ADG had the building permits every Sunday- now development news is barely covered.

The lot behind Wal Mart is a relatively small one but it would be interesting to know what is going in. It will help hide the back of the Wal Mart store at least- I've always wondered why the situated the store that way.

I think building permits are public information that anyone can obtain - what the process is for doing so is a mystery to me, though. The Northwest Arkansas Newspapers are making themselves irrelevant by cutting back on development news. The Morning News was very good about covering each city's planning meetings and the ADG had the building permits every Sunday- now development news is barely covered.

The lot behind Wal Mart is a relatively small one but it would be interesting to know what is going in. It will help hide the back of the Wal Mart store at least- I've always wondered why the situated the store that way.

Hank's Fine Furniture purchased the property and is consolidating it's Fayetteville and Bentonville stores into this location. It will be a 100,000 sf building.

Yeah, I'd like to assume there's got to be somewhere online that you'd be able to check. But so far checking through city websites I haven't found anything yet.