Rogers, Arkansas

tim2462

Looks like Ross Dress for Less has leased the former Linens N Things at Scottsdale Center. This is a great national retailer, and is a much better backfill tenant than what has been taking other big box spaces, specifically thrift stores and churches. Ross will provide tax dollars.

Also, looks like Firehouse Subs is taking space near the new TCBY and Qdoba south of the New Hope/Promenade intersection.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2010/nov/02/ross-firehouse-opening-rogers/?nwa-rogers

Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

Looks like Ross Dress for Less has leased the former Linens N Things at Scottsdale Center. This is a great national retailer, and is a much better backfill tenant than what has been taking other big box spaces, specifically thrift stores and churches. Ross will provide tax dollars.

Also, looks like Firehouse Subs is taking space near the new TCBY and Qdoba south of the New Hope/Promenade intersection.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2010/nov/02/ross-firehouse-opening-rogers/?nwa-rogers

That's great news for that space. Although I think the thrift stores and churches fill an important need in our society, I don't think they're great tenants for big box spaces...

I can see churches not fitting in and I'd prefer that they not go into retail areas, but I don't see the problem with thrift stores. It's retail activity in a retail location that'd otherwise be vacant and decaying. Better than nothing.

I think that depends on the effect such a business would have on other tenants of a shopping center/how it would affect the ability of adjoining spaces to be leased later on. For better or worse, I feel like other retailers would much rather be next to a Ross Dress for Less than a Goodwill/Salvation Army/Savers type major tenant. I'm also not sure about the tax rules on something like this, but Goodwill and the like are non-profit organizations. I'm not sure they actually pay sales tax, so other than the rent on their space, I don't think they contribute much to the local economy, which if true makes them an even less appealing big box space candidate.

I've got to agree. I'm not trying to slam any organizations here. But I do think some organizations just don't fit well into big box spaces. As was mentioned earlier, they may play important roles in the community. But that doesn't mean I don't think there may be better uses of of a particular space. I caught a little flack from an editorial in the newspaper a while back because I basically said the same thing about City Hospital and Hillcrest Tower in Fayetteville . Once again both play important roles but I still those those particular locations could be better utilized.

I think that depends on the effect such a business would have on other tenants of a shopping center/how it would affect the ability of adjoining spaces to be leased later on. For better or worse, I feel like other retailers would much rather be next to a Ross Dress for Less than a Goodwill/Salvation Army/Savers type major tenant. I'm also not sure about the tax rules on something like this, but Goodwill and the like are non-profit organizations. I'm not sure they actually pay sales tax, so other than the rent on their space, I don't think they contribute much to the local economy, which if true makes them an even less appealing big box space candidate.

While I see your point about high end retailers not wanting to be next to resalers, I also think that it is more complicated than that. Goodwill Industries is very different than the Salvation Army. Goodwill is all about the stores and employing/training people who might otherwise not be able to enter the workforce. They can fit in quite well in the nicer areas. The Salvation Army is a religious organization who's stores are just one source of income and are generally located in the areas considered not as nice. The organization has a very different mission than Goodwill. Savers is actually a for-profit chain although I am not very familiar with them.

• 4 months later...

Here is the new Benton County Cancer Center off 52nd in SW Rogers. It is 56,000 sq. ft and will cost over $8 million. It was originally set for an April, 2011 finish date but that obviously won't happen- haven't seen another date set yet. This project is by the Highlands Oncology Group out of Fayetteville.

DSC_0038.jpg

Edited by zman9810

• 1 year later...

Something is being built on the corner of 24th and Olive. My bet is another Caseys.

I also noticed there are new lights up at the soccer fields at Forrester Park.

Speaking of Soccer, the new fields on Dixieland and Husdon are looking impressive as well.

I havent seen the construction of new Aquatic Center, but i keep meaning to drive by there.

Something is being built on the corner of 24th and Olive. My bet is another Caseys.

I also noticed there are new lights up at the soccer fields at Forrester Park.

Speaking of Soccer, the new fields on Dixieland and Husdon are looking impressive as well.

I havent seen the construction of new Aquatic Center, but i keep meaning to drive by there.

Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Any information on plans for future projects there? I am guessing not since the East side of Rogers gets no attention unless it is immediately downtown. Dont get me wrong, Rogers has a LOT of good things going on.

Hearing that Lake Atalanta will be transformed into a marquee park/trail system that is intended to be jewell of the city.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...