Rogers, Arkansas

tim2462

On Hudson Ave. in Rogers, toward the northeast side, there was a furniture store called with a term of endearment for someone's female spouse, "Lovey's" or "Honey's" or "Sweetie's" (can't remember but something like that).  Had a feeling it just wouldn't take off, and I don't think it ever did.  That's the gamble of small business.

However, drove by there this afternoon and now it's a Sikh temple.  Not only that, but there's another one in Rogers, too, now...right near Stitt Engineering on Business 71.

Only in Northwest Arkansas.

And gang, if we still have a country in a few years, I'm believing more and more that the 1,000,000 person figure for the NWA metro area (not including Fort Smith) is going to be achieved.  This place just keeps filling in, filling in, filling in, and there's something new I see each time I drive south from Bella Vista.

Took the kids to Rogers Aquatic Center, It is nice for a muni owned facility. Got the deal on the ten punch card half off special for 50 bucks several weeks back. You get ten visits on a card, if you and two others go on your card, you get three punches and you have 7 more visits that you can use and share with family or friends. Was told that a wave pool is a very real possibility in the future.

Since the Aquatic Center (wet willy's) is a for profit business, it is necessary for future development. There has been a lot of new technology for water rides that would make this location very popular.

Personally, I would like to see some all-weather options added before a wave pool.

• Like 1

Since the Aquatic Center (wet willy's) is a for profit business, it is necessary for future development. There has been a lot of new technology for water rides that would make this location very popular.

Personally, I would like to see some all-weather options added before a wave pool.

My thoughts exactly.  Hopefully, they have better circulation and other aforementioned new technology to avoid disease transmittal that would make it even safer than the 1990s/early 2000s such parks which were constructed.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any details on the new SERCO plant coming to Rogers?  An article in the NWA paper said it will bring between 800 and 1,000 jobs to Rogers by the end of October.  Kinda seems like a big deal but I'm not seeing anything from NWA Business Journal or Arkansas Business.  Yet...

One of three new locations in America for this British company...they will be in the old "Emerson building":  http://nwahomepage.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=444202

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been hearing rumors that Pinnacle Hills Promenade Phase 2 is going to be oppositie of the Interstate 540 near The Amp.  Can anyone confirm?  I really hope to see another mall in the area.  The Promenade is nice, but it still lacks a lot of stores that are in other metros.  I also think we have opportunity for more prominent restaurants (California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory, etc) that are still not in the area.  Let me know if you have heard anything.

I only know that the new office building is supposed to be 10 stories now.  I've heard that there are plans to build more stuff around the AMP area, and some of that should include shopping.  They've already broken ground on the Chuy's, although that's slowed for some reason.

I have been hearing rumors that Pinnacle Hills Promenade Phase 2 is going to be oppositie of the Interstate 540 near The Amp.  Can anyone confirm?  I really hope to see another mall in the area.  The Promenade is nice, but it still lacks a lot of stores that are in other metros.  I also think we have opportunity for more prominent restaurants (California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory, etc) that are still not in the area.  Let me know if you have heard anything.

There will not be a "Phase II". That is false.

And don't expect CPK or Cheesecake Factory in NW Arkansas anytime in the near future.

There will not be a "Phase II". That is false.

And don't expect CPK or Cheesecake Factory in NW Arkansas anytime in the near future.

Food for thought:  looks like Boise, ID is the smallest metro area that a Cheesecake Factory is at right now.  Metro population estimate there is 615,000.

NWA alone, going by growth rates and census 2012 estimates, has about 513,000 right now.  (If Fort Smith were just a little bit closer, the combined metro area would be about 815,000 using the same calculations.)  And I-49 isn't finished yet.

Patience, patience...

• Like 1

Boise, ID is also the defacto shopping destination for a circle roughly 3-500 miles wide.  Personally, I hope all the chain food reprinters don't come in, our local restaurant scene could use some serious improvement first.  Great chefs don't go work for corporate established menu places, they go to individual or very small regional (3-5 units max) restaurants that give them serious leeway in their menu creativity.

I still think you could include Ft Smith in the metro area.  They still come to NWA to do a lot of shopping and restaurants that are not in Ft Smith.  NWA can be a regional destination for areas like Ft Smith, Joplin, Eureka Springs.  

Also, I have heard many people tell me that Cheesecake Factory is looking in Rogers now, so I would think they may be serious.  Still though, the Promenade is almost filled so where are additional retail stores going to go since its already at capacity?  Plus, I think purely based on the discretionary income in NWA compared to other metros, the museum tourists, razorback game tourists, and the U of A that we can definitely support a regional destination type shopping center that is even better than the Promenade.

What about what they plan to build in Springdale?  Maybe that will be a Super Regional destination shopping center, like those in Kansas City and Dallas?

I still think you could include Ft Smith in the metro area.  They still come to NWA to do a lot of shopping and restaurants that are not in Ft Smith.  NWA can be a regional destination for areas like Ft Smith, Joplin, Eureka Springs.  

Also, I have heard many people tell me that Cheesecake Factory is looking in Rogers now, so I would think they may be serious.  Still though, the Promenade is almost filled so where are additional retail stores going to go since its already at capacity?  Plus, I think purely based on the discretionary income in NWA compared to other metros, the museum tourists, razorback game tourists, and the U of A that we can definitely support a regional destination type shopping center that is even better than the Promenade.

What about what they plan to build in Springdale?  Maybe that will be a Super Regional destination shopping center, like those in Kansas City and Dallas?

The Cheesecake Factory is not looking at Rogers.

• 2 months later...

Looks like it is a facility for handling Affordable Healthcare Act documents.

I thought it was funny how Steve Womack bashed the Act at the same time he was saying how good it was to get the jobs.

Zman, I've had an uneasy feeling about these folks, knowing how shady the whole Obamacare act is.  There are multiple reports that Serco executives and personnel have been doing some bad things.  I hope this doesn't bode poorly for our fellow NWA area countrymen who are getting jobs there, but I don't like the looks of it.  (The columnist on the linked story will be on both the Lou Dobbs and Greta Van Susteren shows tonight talking about this.)

EDIT: I missed this: more about Serco (from the same author) in today's National Review.

Edited by KJW