Rogers, Arkansas

tim2462

5 hours ago, jb1087 said:

I noticed that as well.  Originally I was wondering if one of our two would go down, but after seeing the list and realizing how many very small markets (I know, relative term) they're in, wasn't as surprised.  IMHO, Blytheville, AR was lucky to have ever had one, especially with Memphis being so close and Jonesboro having one as well.

Bytheville was fine back in the 80's with a healthy sized SAC base. JC Penny was also reliant on catalog sales and it did a good bit of business when folks picked up their orders. There was a Montgomery Wards there as well along with a Sears Catalog Store that sold a small selection of tvs, appliances, and lawn equipment. My Grandparents shopped all three. 

Jonesboro would have been closer, not Memphis. At 55 mph of the 80's, a JC Penny's in Memphis was nearly two hrs away with the Mall of Memphis being the easiest to get to. I think you are confusing the way things were back then.

Russellville kept theirs and I think Searcy has one too.

Marked Tree even had a Sears Catalog Store once

Edited by TRB

18 hours ago, TRB said:

Bytheville was fine back in the 80's with a healthy sized SAC base. JC Penny was also reliant on catalog sales and it did a good bit of business when folks picked up their orders. There was a Montgomery Wards there as well along with a Sears Catalog Store that sold a small selection of tvs, appliances, and lawn equipment. My Grandparents shopped all three. 

Jonesboro would have been closer, not Memphis. At 55 mph of the 80's, a JC Penny's in Memphis was nearly two hrs away with the Mall of Memphis being the easiest to get to. I think you are confusing the way things were back then.

Oh I believe it 30 years ago.  Just shocked to hear they still had the location in 2017 when that city's population has declined by 1/3 since the 80s and with retail becoming increasingly fragmented.

Edited by jb1087

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Development on 26th Street across from Academy and the new Palisades Apartments appears to be an At Home store. A welcome addition, but I sure wish we'd get some higher quality retail in this area. I remember when Pleasant Crossing was first conceived, that was certainly the plan. Add me to the list of those who hope to see a Whole Foods and Top Golf move in to the neighborhood. That might help elevate things.

11 hours ago, TheyLookUpToMe said:

There is talk of up to 2500 (MORE) layoffs across the Bentonville walmart home office campus in the next 90 days..  I see 2008 coming soon all over again in this region.

Walmart layoffs happen. We've been told for the last few years by the current regime that they want to get rid of redundancies and cut several jobs. Banks and developers have been aware of this. That being said, even with those jobs eliminated we don't have the bloated market and glut of residential lots and unnecessary and out of place speculative developments of the mid 2000s. There will not be a bloodletting like we saw in 2008. A correction certainly but not an all out disaster. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2017 at 0:21 AM, TheyLookUpToMe said:

There is talk of up to 2500 (MORE) layoffs across the Bentonville walmart home office campus in the next 90 days..  I see 2008 coming soon all over again in this region.

How many does Walmart employ at the home office in total?

I was told one but can't remember. Something like 35k maybe. But also keep in mind Walmart uses a lot of contractors instead of employees for certain functions. They work at the HO, they take direction and orders from Walmart, but they are not listed s employees. To go further you have the suppliers that work in the HO or directly for it and provide a lot of functions but are not listed as employees either.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2017 at 4:50 PM, sasnakrafan said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like Dave and Buster's is coming to the Promenade area. This is the address I have for it. 

Rogers, AR
2203 Promenade Blvd Rogers
Rogers, AR 72758

Rogers, AR

It is the food court building at the promenade. Repurposing it as D and B

• Like 1

• 2 months later...