Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

I have enjoyed some good laughs at some of the posts wondering if Ronnie Bruno would get back involved and buy back stores to rebuild his "empire." Or if an ownership change would bring back dead stores..... Trust the canstacker, that is all wishful thinking. It ain't gonna happen.

SFM is dead and Bruno/BiLo is on lifesupport. Look for SFM to change ownership soon, possibly Bruno/Bilo as well. Both C&S and Lonestar want out. Lonestar just wants cash and C&S just wants a supply agreement with a new owner. Look for more SFM closings to come if a sale doesn't finalize soon. Just to show you how screwed up a company SFM is, in Brewton, Alabama, the manager at SFM recently told the local paper that he had no comment regarding a new WalMart Supercenter to be constructed there. He referred comment to SFM's corporate office in Greenville, SC. SFM is located in Birmingham....Bruno/Bilo is in SC. SFM has now been around nearly two years, but the manager (as well as a lot of people in that organization) still think and wish they were part of Bruno's....and some obviously act the part too. Change just comes tough to some people.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canstacker, you are right. Even my reliable source tells me that all rumors about them being bought out are dead. Just like SFM. What I understand is that they just got through completing their year end results, and now they are trying to figure out what to do next. Supposedly, the SFM store managers have been told the chain is up for sale. Just can't imagine who would want these dogs. I would think another round of closings would be crazy, it would probably take out 12-15 stores at least. What would be the point of keeping the rest?

The Bruno's stores have been told that at the start of the second quarter, we will revert back to the old Bruno's system. Some of you may know about the conversions that Bruno's stores went through in 2005 to be put on the BI-LO system. Our lives were basically hell for about a week until we finally got everything to work right. Basically everything went wrong. Cashiers were confused because the registers changed, prices were wrong, and many items were not in the system. Now that we have it worked out, we are told that everything is going back to the way it was. In my opinion, I think the only explanation for that is that Bruno's has been sold and is separated from BI-LO. Either we have sold to another company and they just want us off of their system, or we are truly going back to just being Bruno's. Who knows at this point. Stay tuned.

Trust the canstacker...a lot of things may happen, but going back to being Bruno's is not one of them. Put that story in the grave, it simply ain't gonna happen. What may happen is that some of the stores may be sold off, perhaps all of the Alabama stores??????? That may be what is driving the systems issues. But rest assured, it ain't gonna be called Bruno's, it ain't gonna involve Ronnie Bruno or anyone else from that family. They've made their fortune and that chapter in their lives is closed forever. Change is tough and doesn't come easy, but get ready for it. The canstacker thinks that whatever is going to happen to Food World, etc. as well as what is left of SFM will be going down before the end of May. It has to just to stop the bleeding.

Canstacker, I trust you. But, I don't believe SFM can find somebody to buy the rest of their stores. They only have 1 or 2 stores that are decent stores, the rest are just DOGS. No chain would want to have such underperforming stores. You are right, Ronnie Bruno would be crazy to jump back in this mess. I believe May is being to generous of a target date. There is not much blood left. SFM is DOA.

OK, I made a post a few months ago about my former SFM in Oneonta closing, and read the board daily, and decided that it was time to chime in. The Oneonta Food World was actually a decent place to shop before being sold off to SFM. Once SFM took over, it took some time, but eventually the store became so run into the ground, the only reason I supported it was because I knew everybody there. Back 10 years ago, Brunos or even Food World was THE place to shop in Birmingham---even during the whole KKR fiasco. I visited a Brunos store today, and was shocked at what i saw. Half empty shelves, a broken down store, and almost no staff during a prime time,,,I.e. one register open at 630 pm, although the store was virtualy dead. Maybe Ronnie Bruno needs to take over, becuase during their tenure, the stores were never in that bad of shape. But, like canstacker said, it aint happenin. Maybe Brunos needs to be sold off to Kroger or A&P............ the stores would at the very least be remodeled/renovated and hopefully properly staffed (although I distinctly remember a former Food World/SFM associate in Oneonta excitedly telling me that when SFM took over the store they were going to get a remodel and renovation, which of course never happened) Heck I work for Winn Dixie and most of our stores arent doing much better and probably look worse, and everytime we here ramblings of store closings, we hold our breath and wish for the best.

I always felt the geography of SFM meant that stores would either close or be resold. The SFM areas were the periphery of BiLo and Bruno's. The Triad, a BiLo area, in NC went to SFM, most South and Middle Georgia Bruno's became SFM or Piggly Wiggly.

Most of Middle Tennessee BiLo became SFM and North Alabama Bruno's as well. The northeast Georgia BiLo's became SFM. The gaps and breaks doomed areas of SFM before it even got off the ground. Cost cutting did the rest. I did think SFM would survive in a most geographic cohesive area while other areas would be sold. Picking up some former Winn-Dixie's even led me to think SFM intends to operate grocery stores. But as time passes, it appears SFM existed only to operate BiLo and Bruno's locations until they could be sold or closed and give the C&S distribution system volume.

I live in an area where BiLo continues to operate, having acquired the former Red Food chain of Chattanooga. Bruno's most recent operations were mainly FoodMax in Chattanooga and Bruno's in the Atlanta area. The Chattanooga stores were sold to Albertson's, along with FoodMax stores in Nashville and Middle Tennessee. Albertson's didn't invest in the stores, slashed staff, and had prices out of line with the competition, more from being unfamiliar with the region. Most Nashville area Albertson's were sold to Publix, who has done well with building up business in the stores and giving Kroger some true competition. The Atlanta area Bruno's were split up among Ingle's mostly and the now closed Cub Foods and a few Kroger's. The Chattanooga FoodMax stores were closed and only now are being leased, Dollar General Market uses part of one, Best Buy another, part of one is Aldi, and one is vacant.

The South Carolina BiLo base has emerged pretty much unscathed from all the changes as well as some BiLo markets along the South Carolina border, Augusta, Charlotte, and Asheville. Bruno's has been butchered. In their heyday, any Bruno's, FoodMax, or Food World were some of the deep Souths busiest supermarkets. Even though BiLo has kept a strong presence in Chattanooga, Red Food operated more stores and drew more customers. Granted Wal-Mart has entered the picture and resulted in some of BiLo's, Bruno's, and Winn-Dixie's decline in all these markets. Publix,Kroger, Food City, Ingle's, Lowe's Foods show traditional grocers can still compete against Wal-Mart.

The "quartering of BiLo and Bruno's leads me to think that LoneStar Investments and C&S will eventually sell of the stores. Given how chopped up Bruno's has become, I think it will be piecemeal, with Publix, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, an out of bankruptcy Winn-Dixie, and others picking stores that fit their strategies for growth and marketing. I believe BiLo in Chattanooga will eventually be sold off to 1) Food City 2) Ingle's 3) Kroger or 4) Publix, in order of likelihood. All four may end up carving up pieces of the pie. BiLo's Carolina operation is the most profitible and most intact, the investors will probably spin the company off in an IPO and make ton on the stock. They see more value in the real estate for the rest of the company and will sell the stores to get money. The SFM stores were probably some of the least valuable real estate as they tended to be in less desirable areas of cities(Birmingham and Macon) or the small towns-Jasper, Scottsboro, Fitzgerald, Tullahoma, etc. or highly competitive markets away from the core-Huntsville, Nashville, Knoxville, Greensboro-Winston-Salem Triad, etc.

Publix has opened a new store in Nashville, has two getting ready to open in Murfreesboro, and a "coming soon" sign posted for another Nashville location. Could be the Big P in scouting out locations. The story in the Tennessean said the two in M'boro would replace two closed Bi-Lo's, but didn't say specifically they would be in the same location. Rumor has it Publix had looked at a closed Bi-Lo location in Chattanooga, but ended up choosing another location.

Just wish somebody decent would come to Tullahoma.

For story in the Tennessean:

www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702140404

New rumor...some SFM locations (both open and closed) are being shopped to Supervalu and/or some of its independent customers. There is one operator in the Atlanta area that has prospered under a "cost plus" format during the past dozen or so years..not sure if they are involved in this or not.

Meanwhile, the deathwatch at SFM HQ in Bham continues. Since the last round of layoffs in September, they have lost another 13 stores but not cut any more headcount at the HQ. They are so topheavy with directors and VP's (with hardly nothing to direct or VP over) you've got to wonder when more heads will roll. Unfortunately, when heads roll, it will probably be those doing all of the work and not the worthless VP's who got them into the sorry shape they are in to begin with. Very poor leadership. Rumor is that more and more vendors are looking at cutting them off or simply not calling on them because of poor purchases or failed execution of agreed to plans. Also, SFM is incorporated separately from C&S...a bankruptcy filing would hurt vendors and provide little or no recourse to recover payables.

The stores are in pathetic shape, time is running out. The end is very near.

New rumor...some SFM locations (both open and closed) are being shopped to Supervalu and/or some of its independent customers. There is one operator in the Atlanta area that has prospered under a "cost plus" format during the past dozen or so years..not sure if they are involved in this or not.

Meanwhile, the deathwatch at SFM HQ in Bham continues. Since the last round of layoffs in September, they have lost another 13 stores but not cut any more headcount at the HQ. They are so topheavy with directors and VP's (with hardly nothing to direct or VP over) you've got to wonder when more heads will roll. Unfortunately, when heads roll, it will probably be those doing all of the work and not the worthless VP's who got them into the sorry shape they are in to begin with. Very poor leadership. Rumor is that more and more vendors are looking at cutting them off or simply not calling on them because of poor purchases or failed execution of agreed to plans. Also, SFM is incorporated separately from C&S...a bankruptcy filing would hurt vendors and provide little or no recourse to recover payables.

The stores are in pathetic shape, time is running out. The end is very near.

There are still a couple of Supervalu stores around the Twin Cities in the Upper Midwest. I doubt Albertson's would show up here in the Deep South. If anything the store brand would like change to Cub Foods or Supervalu since the Sav-A-Lot brand is so low end.

I always felt the geography of SFM meant that stores would either close or be resold. The SFM areas were the periphery of BiLo and Bruno's. The Triad, a BiLo area, in NC went to SFM, most South and Middle Georgia Bruno's became SFM or Piggly Wiggly.

Most of Middle Tennessee BiLo became SFM and North Alabama Bruno's as well. The northeast Georgia BiLo's became SFM. The gaps and breaks doomed areas of SFM before it even got off the ground. Cost cutting did the rest. I did think SFM would survive in a most geographic cohesive area while other areas would be sold. Picking up some former Winn-Dixie's even led me to think SFM intends to operate grocery stores. But as time passes, it appears SFM existed only to operate BiLo and Bruno's locations until they could be sold or closed and give the C&S distribution system volume.

I live in an area where BiLo continues to operate, having acquired the former Red Food chain of Chattanooga. Bruno's most recent operations were mainly FoodMax in Chattanooga and Bruno's in the Atlanta area. The Chattanooga stores were sold to Albertson's, along with FoodMax stores in Nashville and Middle Tennessee. Albertson's didn't invest in the stores, slashed staff, and had prices out of line with the competition, more from being unfamiliar with the region. Most Nashville area Albertson's were sold to Publix, who has done well with building up business in the stores and giving Kroger some true competition. The Atlanta area Bruno's were split up among Ingle's mostly and the now closed Cub Foods and a few Kroger's. The Chattanooga FoodMax stores were closed and only now are being leased, Dollar General Market uses part of one, Best Buy another, part of one is Aldi, and one is vacant.

The South Carolina BiLo base has emerged pretty much unscathed from all the changes as well as some BiLo markets along the South Carolina border, Augusta, Charlotte, and Asheville. Bruno's has been butchered. In their heyday, any Bruno's, FoodMax, or Food World were some of the deep Souths busiest supermarkets. Even though BiLo has kept a strong presence in Chattanooga, Red Food operated more stores and drew more customers. Granted Wal-Mart has entered the picture and resulted in some of BiLo's, Bruno's, and Winn-Dixie's decline in all these markets. Publix,Kroger, Food City, Ingle's, Lowe's Foods show traditional grocers can still compete against Wal-Mart.

The "quartering of BiLo and Bruno's leads me to think that LoneStar Investments and C&S will eventually sell of the stores. Given how chopped up Bruno's has become, I think it will be piecemeal, with Publix, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, an out of bankruptcy Winn-Dixie, and others picking stores that fit their strategies for growth and marketing. I believe BiLo in Chattanooga will eventually be sold off to 1) Food City 2) Ingle's 3) Kroger or 4) Publix, in order of likelihood. All four may end up carving up pieces of the pie. BiLo's Carolina operation is the most profitible and most intact, the investors will probably spin the company off in an IPO and make ton on the stock. They see more value in the real estate for the rest of the company and will sell the stores to get money. The SFM stores were probably some of the least valuable real estate as they tended to be in less desirable areas of cities(Birmingham and Macon) or the small towns-Jasper, Scottsboro, Fitzgerald, Tullahoma, etc. or highly competitive markets away from the core-Huntsville, Nashville, Knoxville, Greensboro-Winston-Salem Triad, etc.

it is a possibility. Another possibility was an investment group of which a former SFM prez was a part of, but I hear that deal has fallen thru. SFM is poorly run. The management in Bham are all former Bruno cronies who thought that they could reinvent Bruno's. They're nothing more than a bunch of losers. If A&P buys them, or whoever buys them, they would be well served to get rid of these characters. They oversaw Bruno's demise from the mid 90's until 2005, and then C&S hired them to run SFM..and they've done exactly that...run it.....into the ground. Those bums couldn't run a lemonade stand in a residential neighborhood. The five year olds could do it better.

I wonder if A&P would pick up some of the Bruno's stores as well? That would be an interesting way of reinventing some locations. My guess would be that they would use the Sav-A-Center name, since that is the only name that they currently use in the south.

• 2 weeks later...

The ol canstacker here....a little birdy tells me that the official end of SFM is only days, not weeks or months, away from being announced. Not sure of the outcome other than the elimination of the SFM office (including the losers in high positions that created the mess) and a name change for whatever stores survive under any new ownership.

The ol canstacker here....a little birdy tells me that the official end of SFM is only days, not weeks or months, away from being announced. Not sure of the outcome other than the elimination of the SFM office (including the losers in high positions that created the mess) and a name change for whatever stores survive under any new ownership.

Archived