Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

Canstacker here, the rumors have been hot that Bruno's was going to be divested, at least the Alabama part....possibly as part of a deal with the remaining SFM stores as well. The hammer is about to fall, I am afraid. Both SFM and Bruno's have been mismanaged for a long time at the corporate level. The level of incompetence at that level is almost unbelievable, as is the amount of arrogance as well. Good Lukc to everyone.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, now that I have gotten over my initial anger at BI-LO for closing my store, I can talk a little about what I know. According to one of my managers, eight stores are closing. The only ones I know of are: FoodMax 241 in Anniston, FoodMax 243 in Gadsden, Food World 29 in Irondale, and Food World 147 in Leeds. I do not know the others. Calhoun County will be left with one Bruno's store, FoodMax 240 in Oxford. Hopefully, I can transfer to it. If not, I guess my employment with BI-LO/Bruno's is coming to a close. I would appreciate any information you have, as I am on vacation this week and know very little. Our last day of business is April 7.

Okay, I just found and read the news release. Basically, Bruno's is just seperating from BI-LO, which I think is an excellent idea. However, it could ultimately point to a sale of the company. I wonder who would be interested in a company with 67 stores?

The following stores are closing: FoodMax stores of Anniston, Gadsden, and Northport; Food World stores of Irondale, Leeds, Birmingham, and Pensacola. One of the FoodMax stores in Northport and the FoodMax in Oxford will remain open. After this, the new Bruno's will have 67 stores: 23 Bruno's, 42 Food World, and 2 FoodMax.

Keep those of us in the closing stores in your prayers.

Chris

Okay, I just found and read the news release. Basically, Bruno's is just seperating from BI-LO, which I think is an excellent idea. However, it could ultimately point to a sale of the company. I wonder who would be interested in a company with 67 stores?

Hi guys, not to but into this conversation, but I live in Greenville,SC (Bi-Lo) and know some people in corporate at Bi-Lo. I heard that Publix was looking at purchasing some or all of the 67 Bruno's that Bi-Lo is spinning off. Came from a pretty reliable source.

The breakup allows for the financials to be completely separate for Bruno's and Bi-Lo. As I stated earlier, having an investment person (not a grocery person) running Bruno's should indicate what is going to happen. A sale of stores to Publix is certainly possible, where it fits into their strategy. It will take much more than a Bham based office to save Bruno's. don't expect Lonestar to make any capital investments in the existing stores and forget about any new stores....by the way, when was the last time Bruno's opened a new store? Can anyone remember that long ago? There is still a school of thought that the merchandising for both Bruno's and SFM may be done by the same staff already in Bham. Heaven help them if that is the case. The SFM management has successfully turned 88 stores into 43. They are populated with former Bruno rejects who want to merchandise and market the stores the same way as was done back in the Bruno glory days (early 90's)....you can't do that anymore, the retail world has changed, but don't tell that to those fossils. They have closed 55 stores in the past 9 months and what do they get? Promotions and raises. Do you really want these people running your company? If you do, keep your resume updated, you'll need it.

Hi guys, not to but into this conversation, but I live in Greenville,SC (Bi-Lo) and know some people in corporate at Bi-Lo. I heard that Publix was looking at purchasing some or all of the 67 Bruno's that Bi-Lo is spinning off. Came from a pretty reliable source.

Thanks for the information. It is possible that Publix may be interested. This is just pure speculation, but Publix has said they are interested in entering the Anniston/Oxford area. They are leaving the FoodMax in Oxford open, and the Books-A-Million store next door to it is moving to a new location. This would allow Publix to expand that store into one of its larger stores. Again, this is just speculation on my part, but anything is possible.

Hi Chris

Congrat. on the transfer. :yahoo: If anyone wants to see a list of the stores that are closing go to Food World or Bruno's (for Bruno's go to Get to know us then news release) website and go to the news release there will be a link at the bottom of the page to Bruno's Updated Store list (its a PDF File) you will need adobe reader get to the list. Here is the one from the Bruno's website (http://www.brunos.com/brunos/home/getToKnowUs/pressRelease.jsp) It's sameone at Food World website too. It is a list of all the stores that are open and the one's that are closing that Bruno's owns.

Thanks,

Paul

Great News! Well, great for me anyway. I got transfered to FoodMax #240 in Oxford. At least I'm not without a job!

Not likely. Publix prefers to build from the ground up. They are not known for going into existing old stores in undersirable locations.

Snowbird here. Did a little snooping with some reliable sources outside the grocery industry about Publix plans.

One said Publix was not interested in the former TN Bi-Lo locations in Tullahoma, Pulaski, etc. But that doesn't mean they are not looking at building in the future. The two new Publix in Murfreesboro (opening 28March) are in old Bi-Lo locations.

The other is a Florida source who reported that except for the two new Murfreesboro and two Chattanooga stores, everything else is around Nashville. Publix wants to "build on existing clusters because that enhances profitaibilty. Closer to distribution center and spreads media costs of major markets." He figures more coming to Chattanooga and maybe as far east as

Knoxville that can be supplied from Atlanta. He said, "Publix had real respect for Bruno's until the management all died in a plane crash and the chain quickly went into free-fall soon after."

So for those of you in big cities (especially if you already have a Publix), you may find more popping up. For those of us in smaller cities, looks like we are out of luck for now.

True. Every city I've lived in has had Publix stores built from the ground up. However, in the few Publix stores sprinkled around Birmingham (and there aren't many, they don't have critical mass there), most of these were conversions and remodels from existing grocery stores. A few I can think of were Western Supermarkets.

Which ones? There are 13 Publix locations in the Greater Birmingham area. The two only that I know of that was conversion is the one in Pelham and Vestavia Hills which were former Delchamps. To my knowledge those are only ones because the rest are newly built stores.

True. Every city I've lived in has had Publix stores built from the ground up. However, in the few Publix stores sprinkled around Birmingham (and there aren't many, they don't have critical mass there), most of these were conversions and remodels from existing grocery stores. A few I can think of were Western Supermarkets.

Snowbird here. Did a little snooping with some reliable sources outside the grocery industry about Publix plans.

One said Publix was not interested in the former TN Bi-Lo locations in Tullahoma, Pulaski, etc. But that doesn't mean they are not looking at building in the future. The two new Publix in Murfreesboro (opening 28March) are in old Bi-Lo locations.

The other is a Florida source who reported that except for the two new Murfreesboro and two Chattanooga stores, everything else is around Nashville. Publix wants to "build on existing clusters because that enhances profitaibilty. Closer to distribution center and spreads media costs of major markets." He figures more coming to Chattanooga and maybe as far east as

Knoxville that can be supplied from Atlanta. He said, "Publix had real respect for Bruno's until the management all died in a plane crash and the chain quickly went into free-fall soon after."

So for those of you in big cities (especially if you already have a Publix), you may find more popping up. For those of us in smaller cities, looks like we are out of luck for now.

A new life is ahead for one of Calhoun County's former Food World stores. Tractor Supply Company is renovating the former site of Food World #40 in Anniston. Signs announcing its new tenant were placed on the building a couple weeks ago. At least it won't be empty anymore. However, the old Food World #41 is still empty, and Food Max #241 will be empty after everything has been shipped to other stores, which should be done by April 14.

Archived