Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Negotiations on the future of Bruno's are going on behind the scenes. Lonestar has no intent in keeping it. C&S is obviously involved since their future in the Southeast hinges on the outcome. C&S has already proven it cannot run retail and should stick to wholesale. Rumor has it that some kind of arrangement between SFM and Brunos might be in the works, but it would not involve the SFM management structure, which is a good thing. Those fossils should have stayed fired and not re-hired. C&S has lost well over $30 million on the SFM adventure and no one knows how much on the warehouses themselves. C&S has made a lot of mistakes throughout this 2 year adventure and soon they will rid themselves of some of these mistakes, both stores, warehouses, and people(the ones sitting in the executive offices at SFM).

I have to disagree with you on this, canstacker. I believe that since Lone Star is now actively trying to sell Bi-Lo, they will end up closing Bruno's. There is nothing going to happen between SFM and Bruno's because the owners of each company want to get out of the retail market. Both chains are dead. You are right about one thing, C&S is the biggest loser out of all of this. Not only did the retail side lose a lot of money, but if Bruno's closes it means the death of their warehouse.

• 3 weeks later...

Highway 45 supermarket to shut doors on May 19

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 11:46 AM CDT

Dispatch Staff Report

Grocery shoppers in North Columbus will have one fewer option when the Southern Family Markets store on Highway 45 North closes a week from Saturday. The store's parent company announced Monday the store would close May 19

Highway 45 supermarket to shut doors on May 19

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 11:46 AM CDT

Dispatch Staff Report

Grocery shoppers in North Columbus will have one fewer option when the Southern Family Markets store on Highway 45 North closes a week from Saturday. The store's parent company announced Monday the store would close May 19

Hey guys, I heard another rumor the other day, and frankly I don't believe it. However, I thought I'd share it anyway. The rumor is that Publix intends to open a store in the former FoodMax #241 building in Anniston, which closed April 7. There are several reasons why I don't think this will happen. For one, Publix rarely places stores in buildings of former supermarkets, much less this store, which is at least 20-25 years old. It is also relatively small, but could be expanded if the wall dividing it from a former CVS were removed. The store is right in the middle of downtown Anniston on Quintard Avenue, for those of you who are familiar with this area. Despite the high traffic area, Bruno's could not operate this store successfully. Its only real competition was a small, locally-owned grocery store about 5 blocks away, and a Winn-Dixie about 12 blocks away. There is a Wal-Mart Supercenter about 6 or 7 miles north of it. The store was actually very successful when Bruno's acquired it from Gregerson's Foods in 1999. In that acquistion Bruno's bought four stores: Anniston, Oxford, Gadsden, and Rainbow City. Rainbow City was closed immediately, while Oxford, Anniston, and Gadsden became FoodMax stores 240, 241, and 243. The only one still operating is #240 in Oxford. Why sales fell is really a mystery to me. Personally, I think poor management had a lot to do with it. In the three years that I worked in the store, the same manager was there the entire time. He was the manager in 1999 when Bruno's took over, and kept the store the entire time. Bruno's did change the Co-managers, but that did little to help when the store manager kept up doing what he had always done. The Co-managers came from other good stores such as Pell City and Moody, but their hands were tied. Unfortunately they were let go when the store closed, which was really a shame. What does anyone else think about this. Can you see this happening? Publix has shown interest in opening a store in Anniston, but would they really open one there?

Hey guys, I heard another rumor the other day, and frankly I don't believe it. However, I thought I'd share it anyway. The rumor is that Publix intends to open a store in the former FoodMax #241 building in Anniston, which closed April 7. There are several reasons why I don't think this will happen. For one, Publix rarely places stores in buildings of former supermarkets, much less this store, which is at least 20-25 years old. It is also relatively small, but could be expanded if the wall dividing it from a former CVS were removed. The store is right in the middle of downtown Anniston on Quintard Avenue, for those of you who are familiar with this area. Despite the high traffic area, Bruno's could not operate this store successfully. Its only real competition was a small, locally-owned grocery store about 5 blocks away, and a Winn-Dixie about 12 blocks away. There is a Wal-Mart Supercenter about 6 or 7 miles north of it. The store was actually very successful when Bruno's acquired it from Gregerson's Foods in 1999. In that acquistion Bruno's bought four stores: Anniston, Oxford, Gadsden, and Rainbow City. Rainbow City was closed immediately, while Oxford, Anniston, and Gadsden became FoodMax stores 240, 241, and 243. The only one still operating is #240 in Oxford. Why sales fell is really a mystery to me. Personally, I think poor management had a lot to do with it. In the three years that I worked in the store, the same manager was there the entire time. He was the manager in 1999 when Bruno's took over, and kept the store the entire time. Bruno's did change the Co-managers, but that did little to help when the store manager kept up doing what he had always done. The Co-managers came from other good stores such as Pell City and Moody, but their hands were tied. Unfortunately they were let go when the store closed, which was really a shame. What does anyone else think about this. Can you see this happening? Publix has shown interest in opening a store in Anniston, but would they really open one there?

Canstacker here, I doubt that Publix would go into that location because the demographic is not their demographic. In fact, there are not a lot of places in that area that fit Publix demographic. Since Publix supplies the Bham stores from Atlanta, it would make sense to have a store in the area, perhaps in Oxford near the new shopping area, that would give them access to the Golden Springs area as well as the Friendship Road area of Oxford. It would be far enough away from WalMart, but would not be too far from Winn Dixie in Golden Springs, but that wouldn't scare Publix away. It would also be a draw for customers east of Anniston/Oxford who have very few choices for food shopping in their areas....if you've ever seen BecWayne's in Heflin, you'd know what I mean. We'll see what happens, but I don't think you'll see anything really soon.

Canstacker here, I doubt that Publix would go into that location because the demographic is not their demographic. In fact, there are not a lot of places in that area that fit Publix demographic. Since Publix supplies the Bham stores from Atlanta, it would make sense to have a store in the area, perhaps in Oxford near the new shopping area, that would give them access to the Golden Springs area as well as the Friendship Road area of Oxford. It would be far enough away from WalMart, but would not be too far from Winn Dixie in Golden Springs, but that wouldn't scare Publix away. It would also be a draw for customers east of Anniston/Oxford who have very few choices for food shopping in their areas....if you've ever seen BecWayne's in Heflin, you'd know what I mean. We'll see what happens, but I don't think you'll see anything really soon.

Well, the large parcel at Oxford Exchange is now off the market for Publix for sure. Dick Sporting Goods has confirmed that they will be opening a store on the parcel that is set to open by fall. I guess if Publix is serious about opening a store in Anniston/Oxford area that it will be at Golden Springs and Coleman Roads.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Tullahoma Bi-Lo/SFM has had a realtor's sign in the window since it closed. Came by there Thursday, and the sign was gone. Wonder if they got a buyer.

It's sad to go by there, but it has always looked like they have just closed for the evening. The shopping carts are still neatly lined up inside the window, and the parking lot is clean. Hope we get a good store soon. The Dollar Tree next door is a lonely spot at the end of the shopping center.

The nearby Walmart just finished its remodeling (finally) and has added space in the dairy department, so it is more competition to the other groceries. We also have a brand new independent organic-natural foods grocery. Still miss my Bi-Lo, though. Will let you know if a new sign appears on the horizon.

Snowbird

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard rumors that the city of Oxford has bought the property where FoodMax, Books-A-Million, and Martin's Family Clothing currently sit with the intention of expanding Oxford High School. Some people are saying that Bruno's is looking for land to purchase close to the Oxford Exchange in order to build a new store. Another option is for them to remodel the former Food World location on South Quintard in Anniston and move back into it, since Bruno's still owns it. The FoodMax in Oxford is making pretty good money, so closing the store would not be a wise decision.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THE PULASKI TN STORE WAS SHUT DOWN ON DEC 7th 2006. NOW THERE IS A PIGGLY WIGGLY OPENING ON DEC 1st 2007 IN THE SAME BUILDING. WOULDN'T SAY IT WAS JUST A COINCIDENCE HUH? HOW DO YOU GO BACK IN AND TRY TO TRUST OR WORK FOR THE SAME PEOPLE WHO LEFT YOU HANGING DURING THE HOLIDAYS LAST YEAR? GIVING A NEW NAME IS NOT GOING TO GET ALL THE GLORY BACK. WHEN PEOPLE FIND OUT WHO THEY ARE IT WILL STILL BE THE SAME AS A CLOSED STORE WITH NOBODY SHOPPING.

Archived