Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

I found this in the Gadsden Times this morning.

============

Bruno's workers voting on whether to authorize strike

Times Staff Reports

Published: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at 2:02 p.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at 2:02 p.m.

Times Staff Reports

BIRMINGHAM

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys----I've been checking in but have been to bummed-out to write---no matter how much I write or even think---nothing actually has changed. The Mobile Register did it to us once again with big letters talking about the "strike" and how it would run off potential buyers at the auction-----duh, you think???? I'm saying the Union got exactly what they wanted by "leaking" this info. Our meeting was spur-of-the-moment, Hardly any time to make plans and were not even told there would be a vote. Seems like the Union really only wanted shop-stewards and old-die-hard union members voting.I'm afraid it's gonna bite 'em where it hurts(the ole wallet)because the majority of people I have discussed this with says they will cross a line and work----it's about families and picketing will not make a company "go union" if their other stores are not in that format. I'm just saying----we do not need extra stress on top of everything else. Buyers don't want to deal with this crap and all of us may be unemployed---I'm a Union member BUT I am very upset at the way things have been dealt with. They point at the company--------citing they don't care--get a life!!!!!!-after next week the "company" as we know it will be H-I-S-T-O-R-Y. By the way only about 25 union members showed up at the meeting in Mobile. No, I didn't go because a friend called at the last minute and said she was told to bring ID----it's either I'm getting a check(lol) or a vote.

I'm gonna work and hopefully for a Union company but if not I will do the same good job for a non-union company if hired. It's just the way I roll.Thanks for letting me vent---it saved my spouse from having to listen tonight!!!!

Hi Guys----I've been checking in but have been to bummed-out to write---no matter how much I write or even think---nothing actually has changed. The Mobile Register did it to us once again with big letters talking about the "strike" and how it would run off potential buyers at the auction-----duh, you think???? I'm saying the Union got exactly what they wanted by "leaking" this info. Our meeting was spur-of-the-moment, Hardly any time to make plans and were not even told there would be a vote. Seems like the Union really only wanted shop-stewards and old-die-hard union members voting.I'm afraid it's gonna bite 'em where it hurts(the ole wallet)because the majority of people I have discussed this with says they will cross a line and work----it's about families and picketing will not make a company "go union" if their other stores are not in that format. I'm just saying----we do not need extra stress on top of everything else. Buyers don't want to deal with this crap and all of us may be unemployed---I'm a Union member BUT I am very upset at the way things have been dealt with. They point at the company--------citing they don't care--get a life!!!!!!-after next week the "company" as we know it will be H-I-S-T-O-R-Y. By the way only about 25 union members showed up at the meeting in Mobile. No, I didn't go because a friend called at the last minute and said she was told to bring ID----it's either I'm getting a check(lol) or a vote.

I'm gonna work and hopefully for a Union company but if not I will do the same good job for a non-union company if hired. It's just the way I roll.Thanks for letting me vent---it saved my spouse from having to listen tonight!!!!

Today a vendor told some of us that he was told by his boss to fill-up our store because they had it on good info that C & S was buying us. Sure-nuf he did bring in more product than he has in 4 weeks and told us he would be servicing us twice a week instead of once. ???????????Don't know---that's what he told about 4 of us in the backroom.

Today a vendor told some of us that he was told by his boss to fill-up our store because they had it on good info that C & S was buying us. Sure-nuf he did bring in more product than he has in 4 weeks and told us he would be servicing us twice a week instead of once. ???????????Don't know---that's what he told about 4 of us in the backroom.

Well, the latest rumors still support C&S buying at least 30 stores. The newest development, reported by the Mobile Press-Register indicates that Food For Less may seek up to 6 stores if they can find the money. I still maintain that anything C&S buys is going to be the Food World and Food Max stores, and possibly a few select Bruno's stores. C&S does not have an upscale name to use on the upscale stores, so I think they will avoid them. They will focus on stores that can be re-badged as either Southern Family Markets or Piggly Wiggly. I also believe they will buy the stores from Montgomery north, and they will most likely favor the outlying stores, including Gadsden, Pell City, Oxford, Cullman, and Tuscaloosa among others. They didn't do so well with SFM in Birmingham, so they may avoid them. The Birmingham stores are likely to go to independents such as Western Supermarkets, Piggly Wiggly Alabama, and others. Some may go to Publix or even WD, but most likely after Bruno's has closed and moved out. The coastal stores are likely to go to Rouses and Food For Less, with C&S possibly picking up a few stores. Anything C&S buys along the coast will probably be sold to Rouses.

I have heard another rumor that C&S plans to buy several Bruno's stores, then sell them, along with the warehouse and many SFM/PW stores, to AWG. It should be noted that C&S is moving its help desk support to its Mauldin, SC warehouse. Is this an indication of its intention to pull out of Birmingham, or just an attempt to save money by having 1 help desk instead of 2?

I guess we'll find out soon!

IF ANYONE FROM KROGER IS READING THIS, IT'S NOT TOO LATE!!! PUT IN YOUR BIDS!!! WE WANT KROGER!

BREAKING NEWS!

It looks like the successorship language will not be removed. The judge ruled today that any purchaser will be bound to the Bruno's union contracts until their expiration date. The Bruno's and Food World contracts expire in July. The Foodmax contracts expire in May 2010.

Why are the Foodmax contracts seperate???

It wouldnt surprise me a bit for the stores to close then someone else to buy/reopem them. My WD sources tell me that WD is looking to really expand in the region....but now with the clause not being removed there is no chance in hell of WD submitting a bid at the auction. I guess we will find out wednesday......

Why are the Foodmax contracts seperate???

It wouldnt surprise me a bit for the stores to close then someone else to buy/reopem them. My WD sources tell me that WD is looking to really expand in the region....but now with the clause not being removed there is no chance in hell of WD submitting a bid at the auction. I guess we will find out wednesday......

Thanks alot Judge Cohen and Elaise Fox--guess when I'm hungry and on unemployment I can come eat at your house. Nobody will bid now and I hope that whoever does decide to bid will give Brunos peanuts for the company so the big tier people can't get a bonus.What really gets me is Fox telling everyone about revitalizing Brunos---well, Sugar-------put a fork in 'em---they are done and so is your paycheck from alot of Union out of work employees---ENJOY your victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also big rumor again about Homeland---AWG------- I wish they would come on in and change the name-----there's a new kid in town---Homeland, Rouses--SOMEBODY please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and if C & S ever read this ---do not keep the name of these stores and oh yeah--hire Chris to do your logo.

Thanks alot Judge Cohen and Elaise Fox--guess when I'm hungry and on unemployment I can come eat at your house. Nobody will bid now and I hope that whoever does decide to bid will give Brunos peanuts for the company so the big tier people can't get a bonus.What really gets me is Fox telling everyone about revitalizing Brunos---well, Sugar-------put a fork in 'em---they are done and so is your paycheck from alot of Union out of work employees---ENJOY your victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also big rumor again about Homeland---AWG------- I wish they would come on in and change the name-----there's a new kid in town---Homeland, Rouses--SOMEBODY please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and if C & S ever read this ---do not keep the name of these stores and oh yeah--hire Chris to do your logo.

Hi Chris--Rumor here in South Alabama today was that a potential buyer was flying in--last minute check-out. When I left work today they hadn't made it in. Rumor was it was AWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The other big rumor was that auction was postponed til Friday??????????Can't find info on that one though. The closest AWG warehouse is probably in Southhaven?? Mississippi--that could work if they cut trucks to 2 grocery and 2 refrig truck per week per store. Transportation charges would probably kill them from that far if they had all the trucks rolling that we have now.I looked up Homeland's ad for the week======we need to go warehouse owned if we can get those prices....we could kick major a**.

Hi Chris--Rumor here in South Alabama today was that a potential buyer was flying in--last minute check-out. When I left work today they hadn't made it in. Rumor was it was AWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The other big rumor was that auction was postponed til Friday??????????Can't find info on that one though. The closest AWG warehouse is probably in Southhaven?? Mississippi--that could work if they cut trucks to 2 grocery and 2 refrig truck per week per store. Transportation charges would probably kill them from that far if they had all the trucks rolling that we have now.I looked up Homeland's ad for the week======we need to go warehouse owned if we can get those prices....we could kick major a**.

I can almost guarantee it won't be Publix. They will never deal with a union. My final prediction is that the stores will be sold to either C&S, AWG, Food for Less, Rouses, independents, or an investment firm. I just hope and pray it's not another investment firm. We don't need more life support, we need a cure!

We ended up having "company" in town today----probably company that wanted to pick up stores that would be sold off after auction or maybe they were the "stalking horse"--who knows???Three men told a cashier at one store they were from Memphis???don't know what company but they were writing notes and one was on his cell the whole tour of my store.It's getting close to the end and I for one will be so glad to KNOW and quit living in limbo.

This needs to be over soon, one way or another!

We have a local pharmacy in our area that has signs in front of their store reading "FOODMAX PRESCRIPTIONS ARE HERE!" One of our employees called them pretending to be a customer, and they told her that Foodmax is closing, they just aren't telling their employees yet. This is BS! If it is true, Bruno's needs to grow some balls and tell us so we can move on with our lives and find other jobs! If not, then Martin's Pharmacy needs to be sued for this!

This needs to be over soon, one way or another!

We have a local pharmacy in our area that has signs in front of their store reading "FOODMAX PRESCRIPTIONS ARE HERE!" One of our employees called them pretending to be a customer, and they told her that Foodmax is closing, they just aren't telling their employees yet. This is BS! If it is true, Bruno's needs to grow some balls and tell us so we can move on with our lives and find other jobs! If not, then Martin's Pharmacy needs to be sued for this!

What a horrible, cruel joke-----where is compassion in this world? I haven't seen it in newspaper articles, t.v. news or alot of blogs. Everyone seems to want to have the kick the ole dog when he's down syndrome. What is wrong with a little compassion for those of us that might wake up tomorrow and face the fact that our livelihood is gone? What is wrong with the vultures that can't want to make a dime off of others troubles??? What is wrong with this picture??? People DO NOT care about people!! If I lived near I would never cross the threshold of that drug store again and make a clear statement about how I know they don't give a flip about keeping that town alive with ALL businesses. Hopefully I could muster up some compassion when they face the same demise in the future.Best of luck Chris in whatever happens-----nice sharing the space with you.

Wondering who elected her as spokeswoman of this auction?????????????As you can tell I'm a little hacked at only getting news from them and not the "company" I work for. Last time I looked she doesn't have a signature on my check.

Archived