Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

Southern Family Markets has posted a new ad for the Rainbow City and Pelham Food World stores. The ads are pretty good. They have dropped the Bonus Value Card, and have gone to an Everyday Low Price format. They may actually win some people over with this!

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW.....thats cool.......but Its like the Bilo/Brunos thing....only a southern company knows how to run a southern company.......and doin away with the BV Card is the 1st positive thing SFM has done....maybe they will do it chainwide.

Power buy...200% guarantee.....plus on the back page SOUTHERN FAMILY MARKETS BREAD.......and ya think they wont be converting?????

I think they may be able to pull this off. As far as being southern, C&S might not be, but the folks making the local decisions are. I think the BV card will disappear chain wide. They are making too much of a deal out of it on that ad for it not to happen chain wide. We'll know as soon as other stores convert. As far as milk and bread goes, they have to be branded as something that can be carried in all of the SFM stores, whether they are under the SFM, Bruno's, or FW banner. SFM stores already stocked SFM brand milk and bread, so it was easier to just add it to the Bruno's and FW stores. They could not continue to use Southern Home on anything. I don't know why they don't just label their milk and bread Best Yet like the rest of their private label, but whatever. I don't think they will ever turn any stores into SFM stores. It would cost them too much to change the signs. This first ad looks pretty good. Time will tell if it works or not. And they need to realize that a grand opening only works if it really is a grand opening. If nothing changed except the ownership and tossing the BV card, that doesn't appear like much of a change for the average customer. To employees this was probably a huge change. I wouldn't know since they fired me and closed my store!

What did you think about the Australian company that is supposedly looking at Winn-Dixie, BI-LO, and Bruno's? I also heard a rumor that SFM is going to reopen 21 closed stores, but I don't buy that one for a minute.

Chris,

SFM is planning to leave all the Bruno's and Food World's under the current names. I have heard that some of the SFM AND PW names might change back to their former store names (FW OR Bruno's) and that includeing the former WD and Bi-lo being changed to FW or Bruno's. I work for SFM in a PW store (use to be FW).

Thanks,

Paul

I think they may be able to pull this off. As far as being southern, C&S might not be, but the folks making the local decisions are. I think the BV card will disappear chain wide. They are making too much of a deal out of it on that ad for it not to happen chain wide. We'll know as soon as other stores convert. As far as milk and bread goes, they have to be branded as something that can be carried in all of the SFM stores, whether they are under the SFM, Bruno's, or FW banner. SFM stores already stocked SFM brand milk and bread, so it was easier to just add it to the Bruno's and FW stores. They could not continue to use Southern Home on anything. I don't know why they don't just label their milk and bread Best Yet like the rest of their private label, but whatever. I don't think they will ever turn any stores into SFM stores. It would cost them too much to change the signs. This first ad looks pretty good. Time will tell if it works or not. And they need to realize that a grand opening only works if it really is a grand opening. If nothing changed except the ownership and tossing the BV card, that doesn't appear like much of a change for the average customer. To employees this was probably a huge change. I wouldn't know since they fired me and closed my store!

What did you think about the Australian company that is supposedly looking at Winn-Dixie, BI-LO, and Bruno's? I also heard a rumor that SFM is going to reopen 21 closed stores, but I don't buy that one for a minute.

Well......I dont know what to think about it actually. Now...keep in mind that Bilo is in Chapter 11. So Bilo is now on the market for anyone. If anything, they would be a good candidate for Safeway, but only due to their location to Safeway's Virginia stores. As for WD....anything is possible I guess. There is no more Bruno's lol.

Yea, once SFM took over, everything changed to Best Yet. But, if i do remember....back 15years ago lol when Brunos still had the "Staff" private label, wasnt the bread/milk under that stores (i.e. Brunos/FW) name??? What I dont get is why they are using the SFM name instead of Best Yet???? Paul, any insight on that, and is that the case in your store??? Also Paul are they gonna do "Grand Openings" chain wide now??

And yes, have they done a remodel or something to justify a "Grand Opening"????? Tossing the BV card was a smart move IMO..... If they havent done anything, than customers are gonna basically do a "whatever yea right" and move on.

And yea, that is proably just garbage about re-opening stores. Like you said, why gut the stores and sell off everything and then turnaround and reopen. UNLESS....SFM has closed how many stores before Brunos??? And when they did, they didnt use a liquidator. So therefore, the shelving/coolers wouldnt have been sold off....or am I mistaken in that??? They may have a wharehouse full of this stuff.......so maybe there might just be some truth to that.....I doubt it tho lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I still read Bruno's bankruptcy documents occasionally, and today I found the document for their plan of liquidation. The have a narrative about the history of the company, and I knew it sounded very familiar. I realized it is the actual Wikipedia posting for Bruno's! They just used the Wikipedia page instead of accounting the history of the company themselves! I knew it was from Wikipedia because I wrote most of it!! OMG!!!

Bruno's plagiarizing from Wikipedia! I hope this hits the news! A few things have been added, but for the most part it is the exact same article! See for yourself!

Bruno's document: http://www.kccllc.net/documents/0900634/09...00000000049.pdf

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno%27s

• 2 weeks later...
:offtopic: Hi Chris---long time huh? Congrats on your job!! As for me, I have been SUPER busy. We closed for 3 days but all of us worked to get revamped for the "new" store. I worked 12-14 hour nights to get ready. The store itself has been crazy busy and new faces are showing up everyday. It has been FANTASTIC to be able to order to fill shelves. The store looks better than it has in about 3 years. We still have milk and eggs with SH logo and I was told we could legally use the name for 1 year--but sometimes we get sun-up eggs but no more SH products throughout the store. Maybe they have to use all the containers and labels they have printed already--not sure. The produce is pretty and everything is plentiful--why did the company hold out on us for so long......I've been reading the blogs and maybe they are prepping the Mobile stores to be sold-out(not sure) I just know right now we are drawing business from Walmart and it is great. With all the car-jackings at a local walmart and the nasty stores I think we will be getting more business but will never see WallyWorld shut their doors.Anyway, so far..pretty good here, just hope and pray the bad rap that C&S has isn't true and they really try to run grocery stores.

:offtopic: Hi Chris---long time huh? Congrats on your job!! As for me, I have been SUPER busy. We closed for 3 days but all of us worked to get revamped for the "new" store. I worked 12-14 hour nights to get ready. The store itself has been crazy busy and new faces are showing up everyday. It has been FANTASTIC to be able to order to fill shelves. The store looks better than it has in about 3 years. We still have milk and eggs with SH logo and I was told we could legally use the name for 1 year--but sometimes we get sun-up eggs but no more SH products throughout the store. Maybe they have to use all the containers and labels they have printed already--not sure. The produce is pretty and everything is plentiful--why did the company hold out on us for so long......I've been reading the blogs and maybe they are prepping the Mobile stores to be sold-out(not sure) I just know right now we are drawing business from Walmart and it is great. With all the car-jackings at a local walmart and the nasty stores I think we will be getting more business but will never see WallyWorld shut their doors.Anyway, so far..pretty good here, just hope and pray the bad rap that C&S has isn't true and they really try to run grocery stores.

Archived