Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

• 3 months later...

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everybody,

It has been a while since anyone posted on here, so there must not be anything new. How are the SFM stores doing under the Piggly Wiggly name? Not much as happened with Bruno's. We continue to seperate from BI-LO, with a conversion date set for late May when we will come completely off of BI-LO's systems for accounting, receiving, pricing, point-of-sale, etc. I hope this helps us get closer to being a good chain once again, but I am not getting my hopes up. I have heard some rumors that some members of the Bruno family is looking to purchase the chain, but that is also just a rumor. Another strange thing has happened in about the past two weeks. Whenever we call someone from the store phone, it was always read "Foodmax of Oxford" on that person's caller ID. I called home tonight and my dad told me it read "BILO" on the caller ID. I asked a few other people, and sure enough, sometime in about the past two weeks it started doing that. I am at a loss for an explanation for this one. Bruno's officially seperated from BI-LO in April 2007 with services seperating after that, so BI-LO should not have any hand in any utility payments or anything any longer. My only explanation is just pure speculation. Perhaps someone is looking at buying some of the Bruno's stores, but not all of them. That buyer, whether it was a member of the Bruno family or not would likely get the rights to the Bruno's/Food World/Foodmax names to use on their stores. So my speculation is that Lonestar Funds, who still owns both BI-LO and Bruno's, would then apply the BI-LO banner to any unsold Bruno's store and group it in with the BI-LO chain, which is also on the market to be sold. I do not know if any other stores are having this happen or not. I have not spoken with anyone at another store, but I will have to make some phone calls on this one.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

I thought you might find it interesting that on Sunday, June 15 Bruno's Supermarkets will officially declare its independence from former sister-chain BI-LO. The new company, now known as Bruno's, LLC is comprised of 66 stores in Alabama and Florida under the Bruno's, Food World, and FoodMax banners. Bruno's celebrating this with an "Independence Day" Spectacular. Guest Appreciation Days begin on Wednesday, June 18 and run for two weeks. During that time Bruno's will host events in all of its stores designed to bring back customers who were lost during the mixed up BI-LO era. Bruno's will once again cater to its home market in Alabama and Florida and will once again work to become a dominant force in the Southeastern grocery market. Bruno's is still owned by Texas-based Lonestar Funds, as is BI-LO. However, BI-LO has been up for sale for over a year now. Stay tuned as Bruno's works to reestablish its roots and become a dominant player once again. Be sure to catch Wednesday's ad for the Bruno's and Food World stores! It is going to be great! Let's all work together and bring back Alabama's best grocer! Imagine the Possibilities!

• 8 months later...

As most of you should know by now, Bruno's Supermarkets has filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. The company has expressed that it intends to find a buyer soon. With that said, what company do most of you think would be interested in Bruno's? They have announced plans to close 10 under performing stores. This leaves them with 56 stores in Alabama and the Florida panhandle.

Here are some possibilities of potential buyers that have been mentioned:

• C&S Wholesale Grocers: C&S is the owner and operator of the Southern Family Markets chain that debuted in 2005 when they bought 104 stores from BI-LO/Bruno's and then about 10 stores from Winn-Dixie. They now operate 29 SFM stores and about 10 Piggly Wiggly stores. They are Bruno's #1 unsecured creditor and their grocery distributor, so they may end up with some stores as payment for what they are owed. It should be mentioned that the survival of the Birmingham C&S warehouse depends on the survival of the Bruno's stores.

• BI-LO: BI-LO is owned by the same investment firm that owns Bruno's (TX-based Lone Star Funds), and was Bruno's sister chain until 2007 when they were separated. They are Bruno's #2 unsecured creditor.

• Kroger: Kroger is a union company, just as Bruno's is. They have a strong name in the south and could probably breath new life into some stores.

• Rouses Markets: Rouses Markets is based in Louisiana and operates about 34 stores along the coast in LA and MS. They are said to be interested in the coastal Bruno's stores from Mobile to the FL panhandle.

• Supervalu: Supervalu sometimes buys local chains and continues to operate them under their same names, such as they did with Cub Foods in Minnesota, Jewel-Osco in Chicago, and on a much larger scale, the Albertson's chain. They also have a warehouse in Anniston, so servicing the Bruno's stores from it would be extremely easy.

• Publix: Publix usually will not go behind another chain's closed doors. They prefer to build their own stores.

• Harris Teeter: Harris Teeter has stores in surrounding states including GA, TN, FL, and SC.

Of the above information, the only information that is from a reliable source is the information about Rouses Markets. They are said to be working a deal to purchase the coastal stores. The other information is pure speculation based on possible outcomes. Please add any information that you may have heard or anything else you think could be important!

As most of you should know by now, Bruno's Supermarkets has filed chapter 11 bankruptcy. The company has expressed that it intends to find a buyer soon. With that said, what company do most of you think would be interested in Bruno's? They have announced plans to close 10 under performing stores. This leaves them with 56 stores in Alabama and the Florida panhandle.

• C&S Wholesale Grocers: C&S is the owner and operator of the Southern Family Markets chain that debuted in 2005 when they bought 104 stores from BI-LO/Bruno's and then about 10 stores from Winn-Dixie. They now operate 29 SFM stores and about 10 Piggly Wiggly stores. They are Bruno's #1 unsecured creditor and their grocery distributor, so they may end up with some stores as payment for what they are owed. It should be mentioned that the survival of the Birmingham C&S warehouse depends on the survival of the Bruno's stores.

• BI-LO: BI-LO is owned by the same investment firm that owns Bruno's (TX-based Lone Star Funds), and was Bruno's sister chain until 2007 when they were separated. They are Bruno's #2 unsecured creditor.

• Kroger: Kroger is a union company, just as Bruno's is. They have a strong name in the south and could probably breath new life into some stores.

• Rouses Markets: Rouses Markets is based in Louisiana and operates about 34 stores along the coast in LA and MS. They are said to be interested in the coastal Bruno's stores from Mobile to the FL panhandle.

• Supervalu: Supervalu sometimes buys local chains and continues to operate them under their same names, such as they did with Cub Foods in Minnesota, Jewel-Osco in Chicago, and on a much larger scale, the Albertson's chain. They also have a warehouse in Anniston, so servicing the Bruno's stores from it would be extremely easy.

• Publix: Publix usually will not go behind another chain's closed doors. They prefer to build their own stores.

Of the above information, the only information that is from a reliable source is the information about Rouses Markets. They are said to be working a deal to purchase the coastal stores. The other information is pure speculation based on possible outcomes. Please add any information that you may have heard or anything else you think could be important!

Well, IMHO we can only hope it is Kroger since they seem to the only grocer that has given Wal-Mart a run for its money in a number of Southern markets including Atlanta, Memphis, and Nashville. The more competition against Wal-Mart the better since they seem to believe Birmingham is their territory and theirs alone. Bruno's should've been a lot more proactive when it still maintain a significant amount of market share in the late 1990's rather than just sticking to the different store brand banter without diversifying their store offerings like Kroger, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...

• Harris Teeter: Harris Teeter has stores in surrounding states including GA, TN, FL, and SC.

OK.......being a veteran in the industry here is my two cents. A few of these can be struck off the list. The first would be Publix. Publix has absolutely NO intrest in Bruno's whatsoever. 90% of their stores here in BHM are within walking distance of an existing Bruno's store. Plus they like to build their own stores....now granted they did buy the Albertson's stores in Florida, but a large chunk of those they are gutting and totally renovating.

Harris Teeter......eh....BHM is just too far south for them to service from any of their existing DCs. Now, unless they were to buy the C&S warehouse......dont count on Harris Teeter buying Brunos.

Supervalu.....also dont count on Supervalu to do anything right now. They are too much in-debt right now to even consider purchasing another chain.

BI-LO.....again....I dont see Bruno's becoming BI-LO. Lone Star Funds if you can remember is also trying to shed BI-LO as well. Plus, why go thru the hassle of totally separating from them, just to rejoin them months later. Makes absolutely no sense....but hey stranger things have happened.........

Kroger......how awesome would it be if Kroger bought Bruno's? It would most likely be the only one to keep Bruno's union in-tact. It would renovate the existing stores, bring LOWER prices (because we all know that Bruno's isnt the cheapest) and like someone else mentioned, breathe new life into the stores and give Wally World a run for their money.

Rouses Markets........I have also heard the rumor about that chain wanting the coastal stores. I have also heard that some Rouses executives have been seen in some coastal stores........if this does pan out, it might bode well for the BHM-MGM stores. If Kroger were to buy Bruno's, most likely they would only be intrested in the BHM-MGM stores because they are easily supported from their Atlanta DC......Mobile/Pensacola too far south. Rouses would be a good fit for the coastal stores.

BUT...here is the thorn in Bruno's side----C&S. I hate to say it, but its proably what will happen. C&S most likely will buy the comapny to save their own asses. C&S has absolutely no clue how to run a chain----look at the colossal failure known as Southern Family Markets. And dont tell me that Bruno's and C&S/Southern Family Markets arent tied in together somehow----because when the old Food-Fair/Southern Family Markets in BHM were shut a couple of years ago---where were employees given the option to transfer to----BRUNOS AND FOOD-WORLD STORES. I have always suspected that the Southern Family chain was just a Bruno's shell company. My guess is, and it makes me absoutely sick to think about it....but honestly folks this proably will happen....C&S will get the company and either keep the stores as-is or convert some to Southern Family Markets. If this happens----i would dare say that 75-90% of Bruno's existing stores will be shuttered by years end because simply C&S has no clue on how to run a company.

The best bet for Bruno's is for Kroger to buy the BHM-MGM-TUS-ANN/GAD stores and for Rouses to buy the coastal stores. Yes, the Brunos/Food-World nameplates will disappear forever.....but Bruno's teammates will have their jobs, the stores will stay open, and finally the Bruno's teammates can breathe easy for a while and not have to constantly worry about their store closing or them losing their job.

Yea Chris when I wrote that about Bilo i hadnt yet read about the chapter 11 filing. I too have heard the AWG rumor. Maybe it will pan-out, who knows.....

But honestly, and please dont take me the wrong way......because yes you are a Bruno's veteran.....Im a vet with Winn-Dixie.....it is time for something drastic to happen with Bruno's. If AWG buys them, most likely they will keep the Bruno's name. If you were to stop 10 people on the street here in BHM, I guarantee you that 9 of them will have something negative to say about the company. Me personally I feel bad for all you guys and hate that yall are goin thru this. Brunos needs a complete makeover----top to bottom inside out.....including a name change. Only then will people here in the region game some decent respect for the stores and give Wal-crap and Pub-junk a run for their money. If you dont have the customers respect---you have no customers and that is what has happened to Bruno's. Again please dont take that the wrong way......

The delaying of the hearing is def a good sign tho......

Yea Chris when I wrote that about Bilo i hadnt yet read about the chapter 11 filing. I too have heard the AWG rumor. Maybe it will pan-out, who knows.....

But honestly, and please dont take me the wrong way......because yes you are a Bruno's veteran.....Im a vet with Winn-Dixie.....it is time for something drastic to happen with Bruno's. If AWG buys them, most likely they will keep the Bruno's name. If you were to stop 10 people on the street here in BHM, I guarantee you that 9 of them will have something negative to say about the company. Me personally I feel bad for all you guys and hate that yall are goin thru this. Brunos needs a complete makeover----top to bottom inside out.....including a name change. Only then will people here in the region game some decent respect for the stores and give Wal-crap and Pub-junk a run for their money. If you dont have the customers respect---you have no customers and that is what has happened to Bruno's. Again please dont take that the wrong way......

The delaying of the hearing is def a good sign tho......

Well if we get our wish, I see Kroger changing the stores to Kroger stores. Saves them money on advertising since they already in HSV and points east. Homeland....eh....thats a toughie. Maybe if the AWG deal happens then they will do some market research and realize that the Bruno's name is mud here like you said. And I'm gonna half-way disagree with you. If the Bruno's name goes, Food-World needs to go too. Wipe the slate clean. Again no-offense. But Bham is growin rather tired of the Bruno's company....the slate needs to be wiped clean and all references to Bruno's needs to be cut.....hey if they werent tired this wouldnt be happening. And the same is to be said with my alma matter too......WD is not the same WD it was pre chap-11. Some changes for the better, some worse. Honestly, I'm surprised they lasted this long in BHM anyway.......

Well if we get our wish, I see Kroger changing the stores to Kroger stores. Saves them money on advertising since they already in HSV and points east. Homeland....eh....thats a toughie. Maybe if the AWG deal happens then they will do some market research and realize that the Bruno's name is mud here like you said. And I'm gonna half-way disagree with you. If the Bruno's name goes, Food-World needs to go too. Wipe the slate clean. Again no-offense. But Bham is growin rather tired of the Bruno's company....the slate needs to be wiped clean and all references to Bruno's needs to be cut.....hey if they werent tired this wouldnt be happening. And the same is to be said with my alma matter too......WD is not the same WD it was pre chap-11. Some changes for the better, some worse. Honestly, I'm surprised they lasted this long in BHM anyway.......

I am a Food World employee and I would love for both names to be gone. We have belonged to so many different people and honestly I think the names have run their course. I am also a former Delchamps employee that was bought by Jitney Jungle(what a joke), Ahold and Food World(Brunos)Now----Delchamps---that was a name back in the day when the old men were alive. People in my town will still say-I'm going to Delchamps when they say they are going to buy groceries.Anyway, as an employee I can tell you that my co-workers and myself are praying someone buys us SOON!!

Did you know that Rouses' put an ad in the paper in Mobile last Sunday seeking applications for Store Managers? I'm thinking they have enough prospects in LA to fill those positions there so maybe this is a good sign for the Southern stores. We can only hope and pray it is Rouses or Krogers since they seem to know how to really run grocery business. I have been in the grocery business for 40 years and man I'd love to go back to the early days and KNOW the company I was working for knew the biz.Also there would be NO wallyworld.

Hi DR Gizmo. As a fellow Bruno's employee (Foodmax), I feel your pain. We are all on pins and needles hoping someone buys us soon! I think there is a pretty good chance Rouses will buy the stores in that area. Why else would they be seeking store managers in Mobile? I really don't think Kroger will come that far south. As "Formercashier" said, it would be very easy for Kroger to service the stores in Gadsden, Oxford, Sylacauga, Pell City, Rainbow City, Cullman, Moody, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, etc. because they are within reasonable driving distance from Atlanta. Kroger already runs stores in Huntsville, Auburn, Opelika, and Lannett. Personally, I think if Kroger buys anything, it will be from Montgomery north. I have heard that C&S has picked 6 stores that they want, but I have no clue which stores they are. I just hope and pray that Kroger buys us!

Good Morning Chris-

The answer I got about employment for managers with Rouses was if they bought the employees they wouldn't buy the managers so therefore when they got their WARN notice they were advised really to seek employment (I"m guessing with Rouses' or whomever)Everyone down this way are scrambling to take vacations because that's something we're not sure if the Union will concede to the new buyer. Even though Rouses is not a UFCW affiliate I have read several articles about them and they are ran with the old Delchamps philosophy---family owned and operated.I have mixed reactions from fellow employees and friends from other stores if they'll fight to get the union back in if we lose it in the buyout. It would be great not to be owned or really ran by a holding company that knows NOTHING about grocery business.

Will keep you and other fellow-co-workers in my prayers and pray that the uncertainty of our work and insurance will not skip a beat.

Hi DR Gizmo. As a fellow Bruno's employee (Foodmax), I feel your pain. We are all on pins and needles hoping someone buys us soon! I think there is a pretty good chance Rouses will buy the stores in that area. Why else would they be seeking store managers in Mobile? I really don't think Kroger will come that far south. As "Formercashier" said, it would be very easy for Kroger to service the stores in Gadsden, Oxford, Sylacauga, Pell City, Rainbow City, Cullman, Moody, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, etc. because they are within reasonable driving distance from Atlanta. Kroger already runs stores in Huntsville, Auburn, Opelika, and Lannett. Personally, I think if Kroger buys anything, it will be from Montgomery north. I have heard that C&S has picked 6 stores that they want, but I have no clue which stores they are. I just hope and pray that Kroger buys us!

Kroger claims 10 stores in Alabama. In addition to the ones you named, also Hartselle, Decatur, and Madison. They also have a closed store in Talledega and are marketing the site for sale. Compare with 175 in Georgia, 121 in Tennessee and 32 in Mississippi. Expansion in Alabama would seem to be a good idea for them.

Thanks. I missed those stores. The closed store in Talladega was actually a former Food World store that closed in 2005. Bruno's bought it from Kroger in the 1980s when Kroger all but exited Alabama. There was an understanding between Bruno's and Kroger at that time that Kroger would for the most part stay out of the Bruno's operating area. There would not be anything left to hold them back now.

They need to find a buyer for these stores ASAP! The Anniston Star reported today that the Oxford Foodmax will close in May if they don't find a buyer. This is hurting business for the stores! The quicker they get some company in that can run these stores, the better off everyone will be!

Hey yall.......is it just me or i everyone beginning to get a little scared?

Anyway talked to a lady from the Kroger Co today and she of course could not comennt on the situation.

But she did give me a number to the main Kroger corp offices. She said when you call to ask for Acquisitions. Maybe if enough of us call Kroger get the message that we want them!!!!!

here is the number 1-513-762-4000 call it between 8-5 EST.

lets hope this works!!!

Hey yall.......is it just me or i everyone beginning to get a little scared?

Anyway talked to a lady from the Kroger Co today and she of course could not comennt on the situation.

But she did give me a number to the main Kroger corp offices. She said when you call to ask for Acquisitions. Maybe if enough of us call Kroger get the message that we want them!!!!!

here is the number 1-513-762-4000 call it between 8-5 EST.

lets hope this works!!!

Archived