Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

Hi Wartime,

I was told by a truck driver from B'ham, AL. that SFM is looking to buy some more Food World in AL. Bruno's is closing a store in Montgomery(don't remember the store no.). We are going to start to sell cheaper grocery by the name brand Value Time (there could be other name brands included) and we are going to get a total store reset in the middle of July that will include 300 new items(cheaper items). That's all I know for now.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks. The SFM where I am is not doing good at all and I cannot imagine C & S will hang on to all of the old Bi-Lo stores.

Wartime

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Wartime,

I was told by a truck driver from B'ham, AL. that SFM is looking to buy some more Food World in AL. Bruno's is closing a store in Montgomery(don't remember the store no.). We are going to start to sell cheaper grocery by the name brand Value Time (there could be other name brands included) and we are going to get a total store reset in the middle of July that will include 300 new items(cheaper items). That's all I know for now.

Thanks,

Paul

That somewhat goes along with my theory of SFM buying the underperforming Bruno's stores. Now all we need is someone from Publix to see if the rest is true. Did the truckdriver mention any dates? We had guessed that whatever happens would happen soon. It is funny that all our rumors start with truckdrivers!

--Chris

Paul, I know Mr. Livorsi's plan for a turn around. Do you think it will work? How well has he done in other stores? I heard Bruno's/Bi-lo was moving its offices out of the B'ham area. Does anyone know if Bi-Lo has a significant presnece in any state and if so, which state that is? I am guessing, since Bi-lo is a customer of C & S, they will try to avoid any direct competition with each other.

That somewhat goes along with my theory of SFM buying the underperforming Bruno's stores. Now all we need is someone from Publix to see if the rest is true. Did the truckdriver mention any dates? We had guessed that whatever happens would happen soon. It is funny that all our rumors start with truckdrivers!

--Chris

Wartime, I have not heard anything about Bruno's moving their office out of B'ham area. I know that Bi-Lo's has some stores in TN,SC,NC not counting the store in AL,FL, might still have some more stores in GA,MS (Bruno's). My store manager has a meeting this week on thursday.

Paul

Paul, I know Mr. Livorsi's plan for a turn around. Do you think it will work? How well has he done in other stores? I heard Bruno's/Bi-lo was moving its offices out of the B'ham area. Does anyone know if Bi-Lo has a significant presnece in any state and if so, which state that is? I am guessing, since Bi-lo is a customer of C & S, they will try to avoid any direct competition with each other.

Bi-Lo/Bruno's is based in Mauldin, SC and moved all operations to Mauldin in 2005. The old Bruno's offices in Birmingham are now the Southern Family Markets offices. Their home market is mainly North and South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. Bruno's picks up with Alabama and Florida, giving them a presence in six states.--Chris

Now that Mr Livorsi is gone, does his plan remain in place? Also, have any of you seen the lawsuit recently filed against C & S? Any idea how that might affect SFM?

Bi-Lo/Bruno's is based in Mauldin, SC and moved all operations to Mauldin in 2005. The old Bruno's offices in Birmingham are now the Southern Family Markets offices. Their home market is mainly North and South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. Bruno's picks up with Alabama and Florida, giving them a presence in six states.--Chris

Got a question, is the C & S facility in B'ham union?

Got a question, is the C & S facility in B'ham union?

My guess would be yes, but I don't know for sure. I would think so since it was formerly Bruno's. I will try to find out a definite answer the next time I see a truck driver. By the way, Wartime, at which store do you work? I am at Foodmax 241 in Anniston.

I am not in a store, just in the industry and trying to figure out where things are going. My guess is there are too many grocery chains out there and some are just not going to make it. I want to gauge the industry and make sure I am in the right place.

My guess would be yes, but I don't know for sure. I would think so since it was formerly Bruno's. I will try to find out a definite answer the next time I see a truck driver. By the way, Wartime, at which store do you work? I am at Foodmax 241 in Anniston.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Bruno's is sharing the old Bruno's office with SFM. I asked someone who use to be a co-manager in my store and she moved up to become a company(sfm) auditer.

Paul

Chris,

Bruno's is sharing the old Bruno's office with SFM. I asked someone who use to be a co-manager in my store and she moved up to become a company(sfm) auditer.

Paul

About 2 days ago, I found the original letter that Bruno's gave us when they started merging that told about everything. Bruno's Security and HR departments, along with a couple other things, stayed in Birmingham. Main store operations and payroll all moved to Mauldin.

Paul,

Does SFM still use the override keys that you scan, like the ones Bruno's used? The Bruno's part still uses them, but Bi-Lo does not, and we can't figure out how to order the clear holders for them. If you do use them, can you try to find some type of order code for them. Since they come from the same warehouse, the code should be the same.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris

I will have to ask someone at work if they still use the clear covers. But I think they just type in a number to do a override.

Paul

Paul,

Does SFM still use the override keys that you scan, like the ones Bruno's used? The Bruno's part still uses them, but Bi-Lo does not, and we can't figure out how to order the clear holders for them. If you do use them, can you try to find some type of order code for them. Since they come from the same warehouse, the code should be the same.

Thanks,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Southern Family Market closing 14 stores 1 in AL, 1 in MS and 12 in GA. The rumor are that SFM is buying all of the Food Worlds.

Paul

This goes along with what I heard before. I assume this will include Foodmax as well, as there are only 5 left. What about the Bruno's stores?

looks like the Meridianville Al (North Huntsville) store is closing August 12th.

That bites, anyone know if another grocer is looking to replace it.

That just leaves Star Market, and Griners in this fast growing area.

A new Publix. approx 8-10 miles away and Kroger approx 6 along the Winchester Rd area

also serve this area.

I have not heard about the Meridianville store closing. The only store in AL. closing is in Moulton, Lawrence Co., AL. store #121

looks like the Meridianville Al (North Huntsville) store is closing August 12th.

A new Publix. approx 8-10 miles away and Kroger approx 6 along the Winchester Rd area

also serve this area.

also serve this area.

If it is a fast growing area, something will come in although it may not be right away. Give me an honest answer: did anyone shop at the SFM because they liked it, or was it just the closest thing?

Archived