Bruno's grocery stores

Chris322

Hi Christina,

I am a full time stocker at my store, but I do help hang tags on Wed. I have been working in grocery business for 15 years (1991-2005 Bruno's and 1 yr with SFM). If I hear anything I will pass it on to the rest of the forum. Christina is your store starting the new Power Buy grogram in 1 week?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Chris and Paul,

It was great to hear back from you so soon.

I think we are all wait and see at this point in time. I try to stay positive but it is hard at times.

What position do you have? I would love to meet another price integ. person to compare notes. They have us do more and more. I swear every month is a new duty to perform.

If I hear any worthwhile news I will pass it on. Take care

Christina

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense but I think you are totally clueless as to the business (or lack of) this store does and it's imminent demise

Do you work at that store? Cause if you do, I'll trust that you know what you're talking about and step back. But, otherwise, I'll stick to my opinion. I didn't say for sure that it would get a bunch of business, IMO, it'll still get a lot, or enough, business to stay open. People in NE aren't going to drive all the way to the southern portion of Decatur just to get food.

Hi Chris and Paul,

It was great to hear back from you so soon.

I think we are all wait and see at this point in time. I try to stay positive but it is hard at times.

What position do you have? I would love to meet another price integ. person to compare notes. They have us do more and more. I swear every month is a new duty to perform.

If I hear any worthwhile news I will pass it on. Take care

Christina

Hey Christina, I am the assistant bookeeper and a customer service clerk. I started in 2004 as a cashier and moved up to office four months ago.

Do you work at that store? Cause if you do, I'll trust that you know what you're talking about and step back. But, otherwise, I'll stick to my opinion. I didn't say for sure that it would get a bunch of business, IMO, it'll still get a lot, or enough, business to stay open. People in NE aren't going to drive all the way to the southern portion of Decatur just to get food.

I work at 1 store. Not that one. Beltline store is doing no more than $125,000 week. It takes $200,000 and better to make a profit

Hey Christina, I am the assistant bookeeper and a customer service clerk. I started in 2004 as a cashier and moved up to office four months ago.

Hi again Chris. Have you noticed they are putting alot more on everyone except the cashiers and baggers? Sometimes I could just scream lol.

I havent heard anything else since my last post.

My manager has told us that we are alright for now and I have to believe what he says.

They just came and fixed a handicap ramp for the bank in our store so that is a pretty good sign I guess. We also have a pharmacy in our store that does a great business.

I am not on the front so I really dont know anything much about the stores sales. I know they are not what they were before. I think we still have many loyal customers and some that were when we we Bilo. I think thoes few just need to complain so they complain about the change over.

Good luck and keep in touch

Chris Store 293 Athens, Georgia

Hi Christina,

I am a full time stocker at my store, but I do help hang tags on Wed. I have been working in grocery business for 15 years (1991-2005 Bruno's and 1 yr with SFM). If I hear anything I will pass it on to the rest of the forum. Christina is your store starting the new Power Buy grogram in 1 week?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry I havent been back to check in with this but it has been a busy week. We have started the Power Buy program already. I think this is the third week for us . It is a great program BUT I dont know if it is going to do what is expected to revive the business. I probably should not say this outloud but what the heck, I noticed last Tues night hanging tags that some items that are normally .99 they changed to 10/10.00. Then Monday when I was doing price changes I overheard a customer talking to her friend. She was looking at an item that had the new lower price tag on it and she said "lower prices my ass! It took alot for me to not say anything. I did however go right to that aisle and started hanging tags.

We have a very large store and now with this new program on top of replacing gm tags with the white on black for the auditors and this new report for unauthorized coupons, I am just stretched out. Our front end manager Loree has had the cashiers hanging the shelf talkers for me and that helps me alot.

The last batch of black/white tags were mostly for the j-hook stuff and it is my understanding we are not hanging anymore of thoes because that company is not servicing our stores anymore. I dont know why.

I have been slowly removing the price freeze tags and making replacment tags for them instead and it was a good plan because we have until this wed to have them down. My manager and co manager walked the store and found about ten tags that I had not gotten. After a while they become part of the furniture.

Does your scan person have any extra help with all this new stuff? Last week I did not do the coupon thing because I had to scan all of isle 15 which is bleach, detergent etc. I did the whole thing except the bath soap and bug killer and paper plates. There just is not enough time for all of it so you set priorities and do what you can.

Well I have written a mini book here so I best get moving lol. Take care and I will keep you posted.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The way its been going this week. We have been short handed due to vacation been taken by co-workers. We just got our Power Buys in today (5-6 pallets). We beat late years sales. I noticed too some stuff going from .99 to a 1.00 so they can make 10/10.00. I was told by a manager that A&P was looking at SFM to buy but I will believe it when I see it.

Take care,

Paul (SFM#136 Muscle Shoals, Colbert Co., AL.)

Hi Paul,

Sorry I havent been back to check in with this but it has been a busy week. We have started the Power Buy program already. I think this is the third week for us . It is a great program BUT I dont know if it is going to do what is expected to revive the business. I probably should not say this outloud but what the heck, I noticed last Tues night hanging tags that some items that are normally .99 they changed to 10/10.00. Then Monday when I was doing price changes I overheard a customer talking to her friend. She was looking at an item that had the new lower price tag on it and she said "lower prices my ass! It took alot for me to not say anything. I did however go right to that aisle and started hanging tags.

We have a very large store and now with this new program on top of replacing gm tags with the white on black for the auditors and this new report for unauthorized coupons, I am just stretched out. Our front end manager Loree has had the cashiers hanging the shelf talkers for me and that helps me alot.

The last batch of black/white tags were mostly for the j-hook stuff and it is my understanding we are not hanging anymore of thoes because that company is not servicing our stores anymore. I dont know why.

I have been slowly removing the price freeze tags and making replacment tags for them instead and it was a good plan because we have until this wed to have them down. My manager and co manager walked the store and found about ten tags that I had not gotten. After a while they become part of the furniture.

Does your scan person have any extra help with all this new stuff? Last week I did not do the coupon thing because I had to scan all of isle 15 which is bleach, detergent etc. I did the whole thing except the bath soap and bug killer and paper plates. There just is not enough time for all of it so you set priorities and do what you can.

Well I have written a mini book here so I best get moving lol. Take care and I will keep you posted.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The way its been going this week. We have been short handed due to vacation been taken by co-workers. We just got our Power Buys in today (5-6 pallets). We beat late years sales. I noticed too some stuff going from .99 to a 1.00 so they can make 10/10.00. I was told by a manager that A&P was looking at SFM to buy but I will believe it when I see it.

Take care,

Paul (SFM#136 Muscle Shoals, Colbert Co., AL.)

Hi Paul,

The power buys will keep things busy for sure. We have a wall behind our Pharmacy and it is nothing but Power buys. It's a great idea. Have you gotten the shelf talkers yet?

I havent heard anything about A&P but there are none here in Ga. It is amazing how the rumor mill just keeps on turning. I hope it is true for you if it makes your job more secure.

I dont know if this affects your store or not but some of the items that have the old price freeze tags are not scanning on special. The last couple weeks alot of the links have been falling off items. They will scan on special but if you check the link number it is nof.

Guess this dosent affect you but some info just the same. Take care and have a good week.

Chris (sfm293 Lexington Road Athens, Georgia)

Can anybody tell me what is going on with the SFMs (former Bi-Lo) in TN? I found your postings yesterday when trying to hunt for news on SFM. I am/was a loyal Bi-Lo customer and have tried to stay loyal to the new SFM. For weeks it has been obvious that something was going on -- not getting in new stock (even Best Yet products), selling out empty deli/bakery containers, etc. Yesterday (Monday) it was even more strange with unadvertised half-off or more sales on many Top Care and Best Yet goods, still no restocks on some items, sell-outs on florist supplies like baskets and vases, missing display stands in bakery and meat, etc.

Your postings were the first I had heard about a possible sale/closing of the TN stores. It is really too bad what SFM did to our wonderful Tullahoma store. The personnel are great. SFM is a good example of how to take an outstanding business and run it into the ground in under a year. They strung along the employees about the change-over for months, then suddenly changed it to an SFM one morning. The employees were stressed to their limit. Prices wouldn't ring up. Stock dwindled as Southern Home products were sold and not replaced. Customers fled to avoid the confusion, and SFM hasn't done much to get them back. The meat prices are lower, but the canned/boxed goods are higher. SFM hasn't gotten deals with the manufacturers to give good sales to reattract buyers. When cereal is $1 more per box, with no sales in sight, of course we are going to go to Walmart -- even if we hate going there. SFM also failed to consider the individual stores and their buying habits. The Tullahoma store has been a leader in the sale of whole-grain, natural, organic, and vegetarian foods. First thing SFM did was eliminate the frozen section with these foods -- took months to get it restocked. Same with IQF chicken tenders -- SFM thought we should all eat breaded chicken nuggets.

I wanted to ask our store manager if he could tell me what was going on, but I never found him alone. Can anyone tell me what's up. Thanks.

Hi Snowbird,

I will ask my store manager tomorrow mornin to see whats going in with the TN stores. I was told a month or 2 that SFM was pulling out of TN.

Thanks,

Paul

Can anybody tell me what is going on with the SFMs (former Bi-Lo) in TN? I found your postings yesterday when trying to hunt for news on SFM. I am/was a loyal Bi-Lo customer and have tried to stay loyal to the new SFM. For weeks it has been obvious that something was going on -- not getting in new stock (even Best Yet products), selling out empty deli/bakery containers, etc. Yesterday (Monday) it was even more strange with unadvertised half-off or more sales on many Top Care and Best Yet goods, still no restocks on some items, sell-outs on florist supplies like baskets and vases, missing display stands in bakery and meat, etc.

Your postings were the first I had heard about a possible sale/closing of the TN stores. It is really too bad what SFM did to our wonderful Tullahoma store. The personnel are great. SFM is a good example of how to take an outstanding business and run it into the ground in under a year. They strung along the employees about the change-over for months, then suddenly changed it to an SFM one morning. The employees were stressed to their limit. Prices wouldn't ring up. Stock dwindled as Southern Home products were sold and not replaced. Customers fled to avoid the confusion, and SFM hasn't done much to get them back. The meat prices are lower, but the canned/boxed goods are higher. SFM hasn't gotten deals with the manufacturers to give good sales to reattract buyers. When cereal is $1 more per box, with no sales in sight, of course we are going to go to Walmart -- even if we hate going there. SFM also failed to consider the individual stores and their buying habits. The Tullahoma store has been a leader in the sale of whole-grain, natural, organic, and vegetarian foods. First thing SFM did was eliminate the frozen section with these foods -- took months to get it restocked. Same with IQF chicken tenders -- SFM thought we should all eat breaded chicken nuggets.

I wanted to ask our store manager if he could tell me what was going on, but I never found him alone. Can anyone tell me what's up. Thanks.

Snowbird is right about everything going on in the TN stores. All backstock of inventory is being depleted, as well as all private labels. There are a lot of items and products that can't be ordered without manager and DM approval. They do not want any kind of backstock in coolers, freezers, or backrooms in any of the TN stores.

They say it is for if we sell these stores, but it all seems pretty extreme to me as well as other employees. We are so tired of all the secrecy and the wait and see games. It is right ridiculous at this point. You can't go a day without customers asking you "What is going on?" or "When are you closing?" Being employees all we can basically say is your guess is as good as ours. Whatever it is, it is NOT business as usual like everyone keeps telling us.

Snowbird is right about everything going on in the TN stores. All backstock of inventory is being depleted, as well as all private labels. There are a lot of items and products that can't be ordered without manager and DM approval. They do not want any kind of backstock in coolers, freezers, or backrooms in any of the TN stores.

They say it is for if we sell these stores, but it all seems pretty extreme to me as well as other employees. We are so tired of all the secrecy and the wait and see games. It is right ridiculous at this point. You can't go a day without customers asking you "What is going on?" or "When are you closing?" Being employees all we can basically say is your guess is as good as ours. Whatever it is, it is NOT business as usual like everyone keeps telling us.

Had a nice chat with the manager at my SFM, and things look good. There is a buyer for the TN stores and it should be final by the end of October (SFM's end-of-year). The buyer doesn't want any store-brands left in the stores, so they are clearing out Best Yet, Top Care, Value whatever, and anything else they have found in the back (even found a few Bi-Lo cans). The Tullahoma store has had the best week in over a year as everyone stocks up. There may be a lag-time for some of the outside vendors during the change over, but I got a really good feeling things are looking up.

If you work at a TN SFM store, suggest to your manager that the employees come up with some plans to promote the new chain when it comes in to attract old customers and new ones. It doesn't cost much if you plan ahead for recipe cards, samples, charity fundraisers (like hot dogs and drinks), balloons for the kids, etc. Talk to your local vendors about helping out. A news release to the local paper and a few banners outside will help. Good luck to everyone.

Hi Snowbird,

I'm glad to hear the GOOD NEWS about the TN stores. Who is buying the TN stores or have they told you yet. Is all 7 or 8 TN stores being bought by the same company?

Thanks,

Paul

Had a nice chat with the manager at my SFM, and things look good. There is a buyer for the TN stores and it should be final by the end of October (SFM's end-of-year). The buyer doesn't want any store-brands left in the stores, so they are clearing out Best Yet, Top Care, Value whatever, and anything else they have found in the back (even found a few Bi-Lo cans). The Tullahoma store has had the best week in over a year as everyone stocks up. There may be a lag-time for some of the outside vendors during the change over, but I got a really good feeling things are looking up.

If you work at a TN SFM store, suggest to your manager that the employees come up with some plans to promote the new chain when it comes in to attract old customers and new ones. It doesn't cost much if you plan ahead for recipe cards, samples, charity fundraisers (like hot dogs and drinks), balloons for the kids, etc. Talk to your local vendors about helping out. A news release to the local paper and a few banners outside will help. Good luck to everyone.

Hey Paul,

What I heard was it is all 7 TN SFM stores, and it is some chain out of Missouri that we've never heard of. I just hope the deal goes through before the stores run out of food. Of course, I'm sure no one will be certain of any of this until the big banner goes up across the old SFM name. At least the employees seemed more optimistic and happier. Let me know if you hear anything. Thanks.

Hey Paul,

What I heard was it is all 7 TN SFM stores, and it is some chain out of Missouri that we've never heard of. I just hope the deal goes through before the stores run out of food. Of course, I'm sure no one will be certain of any of this until the big banner goes up across the old SFM name. At least the employees seemed more optimistic and happier. Let me know if you hear anything. Thanks.

After a quick Google search, I found a chain based in St. Louis, Missouri called Schnucks. It is a pretty large company with over 100 stores in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Mississippi and Iowa. Could this be SFM's buyer? If so, they seem to be a pretty good company.

--Chris

I used to shop at the E. Ellijay SFM when I used to live in N. Georgia and have the Southern Saver Card. Can I still use it? I now shop the Newnan SFM, near my home. I feel that Southern screwed up the stores in a way, since the East Ellijay store did better than the Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly as a Bi-Lo. But the Newnan SFM is doing well, since it's in a rural area, as Publix, Wal-Mart and Kroger are in the city area of Newnan. The prices are slowly recovering, some prices are lower than W-M and Kroger. I just hope that they clean up the layout and decor of the store, because it feels cramped and could be better if redesigned.

Hello Everyone,

I was told Tues. night at the union meeting that SFM is up for sell. SFM bonus is not going to be used anymore (power buy is replacing it)a co-manager told me that. I was told by the first of the year of 2007 that there will be a list of stores to be closed if they do not do any better by then. Can anyone tell me WHO is buying the TN stores?

Thanks,

Paul

I used to shop at the E. Ellijay SFM when I used to live in N. Georgia and have the Southern Saver Card. Can I still use it? I now shop the Newnan SFM, near my home. I feel that Southern screwed up the stores in a way, since the East Ellijay store did better than the Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly as a Bi-Lo. But the Newnan SFM is doing well, since it's in a rural area, as Publix, Wal-Mart and Kroger are in the city area of Newnan. The prices are slowly recovering, some prices are lower than W-M and Kroger. I just hope that they clean up the layout and decor of the store, because it feels cramped and could be better if redesigned.

Hello Everyone,

I was told Tues. night at the union meeting that SFM is up for sell. SFM bonus is not going to be used anymore (power buy is replacing it)a co-manager told me that. I was told by the first of the year of 2007 that there will be a list of stores to be closed if they do not do any better by then. Can anyone tell me WHO is buying the TN stores?

Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul, rumor was going around that price cutters were going to buy the TN stores. Then another rumor, the deal fell through. No one really knows anything. All rumors are taken with a grain of salt. Everyone is just playing the waiting game. We could last till the first of the year, is what sfm is saying. I don't see how we will make it that long, business is not exactly that great, putting it mildly. All that is known for sure is the TN stores are for sale.

We were told today at our union meeting that all stores owned by Lonestar Funds are for sale. These include stores in AL, TN, GA, FL, NC, and SC under the names BI-LO, Super BI-LO, Bruno's Food and Pharmacy, Bruno's Supercenter, Food World, Food Fair, and Food Max. Union Contracts for Food World, Food Fair, and Bruno's of Alabama have been finalized. Contracts for Food Max and Bruno's of Florida have yet to be signed.

A rumor that I heard states that there are currently 24 stores listed to be closed. The remaining stores will be sold. Publix is rumored to be looking at some of these stores.

With SFM pretty much out of the game completely, it is pretty safe to say they won't be buying any of these stores. With that said, who is left? The following is a list of possible buyers.

• Super Value

• Kroger

• Publix

• Food City

• Schnucks

• Price Cutters

My list is probably pretty far from accurate, but these days you just never know. Both BI-LO/Bruno's and SFM both seem to be at a critical point right now. Stay tuned.

Archived