I-49 progress in Arkansas

NCB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Well I pretty much know for a fact that I'll be in southwest Arkansas for summer. I normally go during Mardi Gras as well, but I'm going to need to stay here and use the time off to get some katrina related work done. I am still not sure about a trip to other parts of Arkansas though.

NCB, did you hear that the Mardi Gras celebration in Shreveport may attract more visitors because of all the destruction in New Orleans?

Yea I heard about that. This is going to be the case in '06 for Galveston, Baton Rouge, Mobile, Shreveport, Saint Louis, or any of the other mid-large cities that have annual Mardi Gras celebrations. Though it is expected that Mardi Gras in New Orleans will almost compleely be back to normal in all way by 2008-2010

Yea I heard about that. This is going to be the case in '06 for Galveston, Baton Rouge, Mobile, Shreveport, Saint Louis, or any of the other mid-large cities that have annual Mardi Gras celebrations. Though it is expected that Mardi Gras in New Orleans will almost compleely be back to normal in all way by 2008-2010

That's good to hear!

• 1 month later...

Well, the NWA Council comprises of the who's who of NWA, like the Waltons, Hunts, Tysons, Lindseys, etc. I'm not exactly sure what spurred the need to create a 'Transportation Committee' (I keep forgetting to ask Christine about that-- she's the one quoted in that article). I'll ask next I see her.

Although I haven't heard this from anyone else either, I would venture to speculate that part of the reason the Bella Vista bypass is such a high priority for the NWA Council is that completing such a major stretch of the future I-49 would make their (and others in AR) position for completing the rest of I-49 stronger. In other words, they could then point out to Washington politicians/administrations/whoever that 'hey look, we have I-49 done in LA to Texarkana (which is in the works), and we have it done from I-40 to I-44, but we have a huge gap in W AR. This is a high priority and has major regional/interstate significance so we need funding.' Just a guess.

Well, the NWA Council comprises of the who's who of NWA, like the Waltons, Hunts, Tysons, Lindseys, etc. I'm not exactly sure what spurred the need to create a 'Transportation Committee' (I keep forgetting to ask Christine about that-- she's the one quoted in that article). I'll ask next I see her.

Although I haven't heard this from anyone else either, I would venture to speculate that part of the reason the Bella Vista bypass is such a high priority for the NWA Council is that completing such a major stretch of the future I-49 would make their (and others in AR) position for completing the rest of I-49 stronger. In other words, they could then point out to Washington politicians/administrations/whoever that 'hey look, we have I-49 done in LA to Texarkana (which is in the works), and we have it done from I-40 to I-44, but we have a huge gap in W AR. This is a high priority and has major regional/interstate significance so we need funding.' Just a guess.

I agree, it sounds like Louisiana and Missouri are working on their sections. I think the last part to be finished will be the section through the Ouachitas.

^I'm pretty sure that the Louisiana section is complete.

Part of the I-49 North section in Louisiana is nearly complete, though construction hasn't started yet on I-49 South from Lafayette-New Orleans in Louisiana. After Katrina, new studies are taking place on I-49 South in order to make sure it becomes a well designed evacuation route when necessary.

Part of the I-49 North section in Louisiana is nearly complete, though construction hasn't started yet on I-49 South from Lafayette-New Orleans in Louisiana. After Katrina, new studies are taking place on I-49 South in order to make sure it becomes a well designed evacuation route when necessary.

Thanks for the update Nate.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived