Bi-lo on Main St.

deltad22

I just recently moved into the downtown area and I'm extremely dissapointed in the Bi-lo on Main st. I sent an email to the bilo corporate office to let them know my concerns. Bi-lo emailed me back and wanted to know if I could be more specific about the location of the store. Could just be me, but im sure theres only one Bi-lo on Main st. in Greenville. They basically gave me the thanks for your email reply.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Bilo could actually be something. I really want corporate to redo that store into an urban market. With all the residence in the area, and its really upper class, and also with Publix coming downtown, you'd think that Bilo would get their act toghether.

That Bilo could actually be something. I really want corporate to redo that store into an urban market. With all the residence in the area, and its really upper class, and also with Publix coming downtown, you'd think that Bilo would get their act toghether.

I agree 100% That location is prime! I would like to see them redo the store and give it a newer more contemporary look. It needs better lighting, safety, and SPACE!

I used to shop there for small items because of its convenience, but I now shop at the Publix on Pelham. They have all I need and top-notch customer service. I agree that this Bi-Lo needs to be renovated or expanded. There should be a deli/bakery in every supermarket that locates in downtown.

Call me crazy, but I like this Bi-Lo. The inside is the spitting image of Western on Highland Avenue in Southside Birmingham (where I spent my early 20's). Same size, same layout, same smell. Same mix of people too, older affluent in their Merc's, yuppies, club kids, wino's, elderly, etc. I love going in just for the feeling of deja vu! :D

Hmmm, I've always thought that this Bilo was a bit "SKETCH". I just assume drive to the Publix on Pelham- it's only another 5 minutes.

I'd hope that they would tear this down, turn this whole shopping complex into residences and relocate a nicer, more upscale bilo downtown. Because to be absolutely honest, with the price range of residences in the CBD, no one is going to shop at this Bilo. Seriously.

Yes, this store needs something to keep up with an incoming Publix. It is a shame for a locally based supermarket with a very old and outdated store with sketchy people, mostly from the sketch Scott Tower, shopping there. There are those plans for a new Bi-Lo in the South Church Street/University Ridge area.

As for Publix, their McBee store will be slightly larger (now 30,000 square feet) to be the same size as their Atlantic Station store in Atlanta according to some managers I spoke with. The store will include your basic needs, a deli/bakery and a pharmacy.

As for Publix, their McBee store will be slightly larger (now 30,000 square feet) to be the same size as their Atlantic Station store in Atlanta according to some managers I spoke with. The store will include your basic needs, a deli/bakery and a pharmacy.

I hope with the demographics of downtown that this Publix has sushi, espresso bar, etc. :D

Bi-lo hasn't been locally owned for years...and only recently has it come back under American control.

Don't think for one minute that your dollars stay here, just because you shop at Bi-lo. Before, they were going to the Netherlands. Now, they're going to investors who own a piece of a Texas-based hedge fund.

^ Yeah, in ranking grocery stores both current and ones to come, I'd say:

1. Whole Foods

2. Earth Fare

3. Publix

4. Fresh Market

5. Bi-Lo

6. Ingles

7. Food Lion

Any of you ex Bostonians (I know there are a few here) remember Bread & Circus. Great stores! Did Whole Foods buy them?

I don't remember any Bread & Circus's in Boston, but I only lived there for the summer (2005). Plus I was working hard as an intern and didn't have my car there, so the fact that I didn't see one doesn't necessarily mean anything. :)

So it was more of a natural foods/healthy supermarket like Whole Foods?

I don't remember any Bread & Circus's in Boston, but I only lived there for the summer (2005). Plus I was working hard as an intern and didn't have my car there, so the fact that I didn't see one doesn't necessarily mean anything. :)

So it was more of a natural foods/healthy supermarket like Whole Foods?

It was very much like a Whole Foods, but I thought better. Just had a certain attitude. I think they've been gone about 6 years or so....maybe longer. Somebody bought them and I think it was Whole.

I've got Shaws, Market Basket, and Price Chopper, mostly from MetroWest, but yeah, I still got those key cards. Can't say that I ever went to Star Mkt. There was this small place on Beacon in Brookline that I remember, between Hawes and Coolidge Cnr. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I'll get the name when I'm up there for Linux World Expo in April.

I just recently moved into the downtown area and I'm extremely dissapointed in the Bi-lo on Main st. I sent an email to the bilo corporate office to let them know my concerns. Bi-lo emailed me back and wanted to know if I could be more specific about the location of the store. Could just be me, but im sure theres only one Bi-lo on Main st. in Greenville. They basically gave me the thanks for your email reply.

I think the shopping center sign at the corner there displays the address as "500 W. Park Ave." (I live off North Main, myself).

That's probably just about the only "baby Bi-Lo" left, since the one at Lewis Plaza closed several years ago.

I've got Shaws, Market Basket, and Price Chopper, mostly from MetroWest, but yeah, I still got those key cards. Can't say that I ever went to Star Mkt. There was this small place on Beacon in Brookline that I remember, between Hawes and Coolidge Cnr. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I'll get the name when I'm up there for Linux World Expo in April.

I remember a Stop & Shop in that vicinity (I think there is a video rental place right beside it), but you're probably thinking of a smaller market that is not a chain, yes?

Back to the topic, I don't care for the Bi-Lo just off of Main Street either. The few times I've been in there it seemed old and cramped. I didn't feel too safe, either.

I agree 100% That location is prime! I would like to see them redo the store and give it a newer more contemporary look. It needs better lighting, safety, and SPACE!

This is one positive I can agree about the location. Residents in the North Main and Earle Streets area need a supermarket nearby, this Bi-Lo is only two blocks away. Unfortunately, this store is showing signs of age: lack of essential departments (i.e. seafood, floral, pharmacy), old equipment (i.e. registers, coolers, freezers), poor lighting, cramped spaces, etc. I heard they have had some interest in expanding into the former Rite Aid/Eckerd space (most previously a Dollar General) for a pharmacy department and more aisle space. For now, some residents drive a couple miles up to the North Pleasantburg Bi-Lo.

Yeah, it wasn't a chain or anything, just a Mom & Pop type place. Pretty nice, I enjoyed just being able to walk a few blocks to get what I needed. Completely off the subjects at hand, I figure we could also use a JP Licks here in Greenville. Rum ice cream.... :)

This is one positive I can agree about the location. Residents in the North Main and Earle Streets area need a supermarket nearby, this Bi-Lo is only two blocks away. Unfortunately, this store is showing signs of age: lack of essential departments (i.e. seafood, floral, pharmacy), old equipment (i.e. registers, coolers, freezers), poor lighting, cramped spaces, etc. I heard they have had some interest in expanding into the former Rite Aid/Eckerd space (most previously a Dollar General) for a pharmacy department and more aisle space. For now, some residents drive a couple miles up to the North Pleasantburg Bi-Lo.

I would love to see this happen. I shop there about once every two weeks. It is convenient and BiLo is pretty good on the basics, which is mostly what I buy.

The residential area around this store has improved a lot in the last few years. These changes include the 623 Main Condos, the Park & Townes units under construction, condo conversion at Heritage Park (on Townes) as well as a decent amount of rehabs on Townes and the surrounding streets.

The BiLo caters more to the lower-income folks that are most immediately adjacent. Few of the the true "North Main" yuppies seem to shop there. What I would suggest is that BiLo expand the store into the now vacant adacent space, including a new interior/equipment in the existing part. Then have a big grand re-opening and send out lots of coupons to the North Mainers. Keep enough of the basics around to still serve there existing customers though. If the yuppies start to outnumber the working class folks, they will lose the 'hood' reputation that it has now.

As for the current safety aspect, I have shopped there day and night, always alone, and have never had a problem. Believe me, my physical stature wouldn't cause that either. The perception is the problem, not the reality. Poor people gotta shop too.

According to the latest issue of the Journal, "There are more rumors that BiLo may open a location on Church Street by the Sirrine stadium".

Archived