Virginia Beach City Center/Town Center West

vdogg

I found something very interesting on the planning docket for January. :D

planningdocket.jpg

Va.jpg

This intrigues me for a couple of reasons. First of all the name, 2nd of all because they are asking for mixed use development zoning which means they are definately planning a mixed use development in this location. Last but not least, this is literally across the street from city walk (next door to Pembroke 6) and mere blocks from towncenter. I can't wait for January to find out more. :)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh btw, this is just the brief agenda. They should release a full agenda in a couple of weeks and that always includes the project details including renderings. I'll be on the lookout for when that happens and post it here as soon as it does.

Trying to figure out just where that pin is located. It looks like Pembroke Six maybe above the pin. To the left of the pin (the white building) looks like a credit union - can't remember the name. It is difficult to tell really.

Yes, pembroke 6 is located above my poorly located pin. The last I heard about the office tower issue I was told the owners were adamant that they would do whatever they need to do to service the city of Va. Beach. first. The city has a lot of offices in that park and I think they were having some trouble finding relocation sites. If this issue has been resolved you may be right about them going forward with the office tower/parking garage. The only problem with that theory is that neither of those structures would require mixed use zoning, and could indeed exist under current zoning. Also, I could've sworn that I saw some where that the city walk entities had actually been combined into City Center, LLC (much like the towncenter entities were combined into Town Center associates LLC). They do this so they can act as one company and it gets things done more efficiently. Considering the location this may actually be spill over from city walk or part of the project itself and we just haven't been made aware of the property purchase yet.

Is the rezoning location the site of the former LoneStar(?) steakhouse?

I think so, i'm gonna go by there today and see exactly what businesses are on that location.

I was wondering the same thing although you mean Longbranch Saloon steakhouse.

Ok guys, some more info. Yes, there rezoning is on the property where the steakhouse once was. There is also a pawn shop next to or on that property but i am unsure as to whether that is part of the rezoning. Also, spoke with my source ( :lol: ) and she says they are now talking of moving their offices into pembroke 3 ( they've talked about moving into TC and other locations as well but this is the current thinking) and out of pembroke 6. The exact fate of pembroke 6 remains up in the air but the move is still tentatively scheduled for the end of the year. This may indeed be related to that, but i simply don't have enough information to say definatively one way or another.

Ok guys, some more info. Yes, there rezoning is on the property where the steakhouse once was. There is also a pawn shop next to or on that property but i am unsure as to whether that is part of the rezoning. Also, spoke with my source ( :lol: ) and she says they are now talking of moving their offices into pembroke 3 ( they've talked about moving into TC and other locations as well but this is the current thinking) and out of pembroke 6. The exact fate of pembroke 6 remains up in the air but the move is still tentatively scheduled for the end of the year. This may indeed be related to that, but i simply don't have enough information to say definatively one way or another.

Somehow I would think that the rezoning would apply to both former Longbranch and pawn shop properties being that Longbranch's is very small. I would imagine investors are scouraging every speck of land in the Pembroke area since things are booming over there. :rolleyes:

Yeah but it's not just that resturant but the parking lot on the side of it as well. Looking at the aerial you can definately fit a larger building on that site, and probably much taller to maximize the use of that land. I really can't imagine a pawn shop going well next to a mixed use development but who knows how this is gonna turn out.

:D Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the pembroke retail and office park which will consist of a 10-12 story office tower connected to a 54,000sq ft retail center on the former longhorn steakhouse site. (items 4 and 6)

getimage1.jpg.

planningdocket.jpg

Va.jpg

It's been in the projects and construction thread all this time too (i had to make a few phone calls to jog my memory). This will be getting its own thread shortly.

The dots on that map are a bit misleading because there is a gas station at the corner of independence and Va.Beach blvd and the that 6 seems to be in the middle of the park but from what i've been told pembroke 6 was the building that's been targeted. While not 100% certain this is the related project i am 90% certain. The mix of office and retail of course requires mixed use zoning.

• 4 weeks later...

I have obtained some more information on this project so I am making a new thread and will be moving stuff in here as the day goes on. First the details "The purpose of the rezoning is to construct a midrise mixed use building containing retail, offices, and residential condominiums. The land itself is in strategic growth area 4 which the city has deemed acceptable for mid to highrise construction." Also for the same project an application has been submitted for a conditional use permit for property 4752 Virginia Beach blvd for multifamily dwelling. This is for the condo component. No renderings yet, i'll check when I get home to see if the staff report is ready (I'm in Baltimore right now and don't have access to everything I need on this computer). Expect an official announcement soon.

That address, 4752 VB Blvd checks out to be the former Longbranch Steakhouse. Just giving a little thought to it, it would seem to be kinda out of place having residences there at that location. I can't recall what is close to that location besides the pawn shop but I am not sure if that will be part of the redevelopment as well.

That address, 4752 VB Blvd checks out to be the former Longbranch Steakhouse. Just giving a little thought to it, it would seem to be kinda out of place having residences there at that location. I can't recall what is close to that location besides the pawn shop but I am not sure if that will be part of the redevelopment as well.

Keep in mind that this development will be immediately across the street from city walk. The projects will most likely compliment eachother not to mention that it will be nice to see relatively tall structures rising on both sides of Virginia Beach Blvd. :) I think in the end it will be the catalyst to our expanded downtown (taking us further away from the town center enclave). If they were to get pedestrian bridges up between these two projects that would be great as well. I had the chance to tour Silver Springs downtown today. I must admit that I love their set up and I hope that Va. Beach can start leaning in that direction soon. I found their TC area to be somewhat denser than ours and they had quite a bit of unique fine dining establishments to choose from (not the national chains that we've become accustomed to in the pembroke area). I'm eager to get a hold of the staff report to figure out the type of retail we can expect to come out of this.

If this is across from City Walk then yeah, that would make sense and I agree would further densify and grow our downtown area. When are you expected to have the staff report you speak of? Also, if you are taking 95 south the traffic looks very heavy in the metro DC area. I was just checking for a friend who is headed from VB towards DC.

Archived