Virginia Beach City Center/Town Center West

vdogg

Well if he is concerned about his view being blocked by a 9-story building then surely he has scaled back his grand plans somewhat. :rolleyes: At the very least that would make me think that Pembroke 6 is staying put. I wonder if that retail/office park is still a go? :unsure: They should have been much further along by now and any new details have slowed to a trickle.

Either he has scaled back or he's figuring out how tall he needs to make the pembroke towers in order to have a good view. :thumbsup: I'll ponder on the latter. :D

Metalman

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

City Center goes for a vote before council tonight. I'll let you guys know if I hear any more details or results. The televised meeting should be online by Thursday.

edit: Actually, the live broadcast is about to begin online right now.

City Center goes for a vote before council tonight. I'll let you guys know if I hear any more details or results. The televised meeting should be online by Thursday.

edit: Actually, the live broadcast is about to begin online right now.

I thought this was already approved!

I thought this was already approved!

By the planning commission. The city council still has to approve before so much as one shovel of dirt can be turned. The planning commission offers recommendations but it is ultimately up to the council to accept. This is the final step in the process for them basically.

The project was approved by a 10-1 vote though there was fierce opposition from the owners of pembroke office park. They were opposed on the grounds that it would block pembroke 6's Vista ( :rofl: ) and the garage would be too close to the property. They were also concerned on the urban design/density of the project being so close to their suburban office park, which is absolutely a ridiculous statement. After hearing the people from great atlantic speak I fail to see how they could have any grand plans for their property and I fear the 10-12 story building they were planning may be dead in the water. This is unfortunate because we will likely have to deal with this ugly, bland, 70's style architecture for years to come. <_< Two residual bits information leaked out at this meeting. The first is that there is a new firehouse planned to be on the City View property. The second is that that one of the main reasons for the developer developing the property in the manner in which he has chosen is due to some info he may have for development of the FX and Hannaford sites. Also, a council member seemed to suggest that they were in consultation with development interests for 2 corner sites at the intersection on independence and Va. Beach Blvd though he didn't get any more specific than that. Oh, and the rendering looks better in color too, but still looks like Oyster Point.

I am kind of confused. So I am understanding correctly the project was approved from city council but then you reported that the plans Great Atlantic have may be dead in the water. Are they backing out? And City View is the site for a firehouse? I wonder how that would work? :blink: .

Oh and that was interesting hearing talks of possible new interests for the intersection of VB Blvd and Indy. Really, the only property available is Taco Bell since the opposite corner now has a new small strip center. I wonder if he could have meant across the street though that is a gas station. I wouldn't think they nor the BB&T branch across from them would be interested in selling. Who knows? :dontknow:

I am kind of confused. So I am understanding correctly the project was approved from city council but then you reported that the plans Great Atlantic have may be dead in the water. Are they backing out? And City View is the site for a firehouse? I wonder how that would work? :blink: .

I have no firm information stating such, just making an educated guess based on the reasons they cited for their opposition and the likely developable sites should they indeed still want to build a 10-12 story building, which at this point seems up in the air. They said that they were trying to work a way to have a fire station on the City View property but that they are still in the conceptual phases. They also said that this fire station location would be tied to whether constitution will be extended in a timely manner.

I wouldn't think they nor the BB&T branch across from them would be interested in selling. Who knows? :dontknow:

Money talks, for the right price anyone would sell. I'd see the BB&T more likely to sell than the gas station because BB&T could retain their prominent location by taking up residence in whatever structure would replace them.

There probably needs to be a well thought out and officially endorsed Specific Plan for the Pembroke area. The City is too dependent on unrelated, private parties to pull off what has become a very complex project. The Armada Hoffler section and City View area are well thought out, but how do you connect the disparate pieces, provide open space, parks, a workable transportation system and the like with such a laissez faire approach? It's time to pull in somebody who can be objective, like the Urban Land Institute, and assess this as the big issue that this is before it's too late and the little outlying parcel restaurants and big boxes wreck the potential of the area.

I wholeheartedly agree. If this is is be cohesive area (as much as it can be) there needs to be a master plan the city endorses. I realize they want mixed use but what about a more comprehensive plan such as thought out connectivity between the several plots of land. The real problem is the city does not own any of the land around Pembroke so it is getting piece mealed together and moreso as developers see fit. Too bad the city didn't have the forethought such as Norfolk to begin buying up land for such a master land.

It's time to pull in somebody who can be objective,

Sounds like a job for Ray Gindroz. We need to get him on the payroll quick. Between Norfolk and now Portsmouths revitalizations his resume in this area has become quite impressive.

:D What do you mean you need to pull someone in here. What's wrong with a multi-story walmart? :rofl:

Town Center Walmart will be a great addition! :rolleyes: I wonder if the TC in NOVA has a walmart!

If you mean the one in Reston, the answer would be a resounding NO. :blink:

If you mean the one in Reston, the answer would be a resounding NO. :blink:

I was being sarcastic. I think its kind of funny and was waiting for this. What I mean by it being funny is, is this is like 10 steps back from the idea of the TC.I think the only way this will be stopped is if the citizens protest this to the council. Enough people gripe it will be shot down. This is the time NIMBY's will be on your side!

The fact that norfolk, portsmouth and chesapeake have all consulted Gindroz might mean that Va Beach won't want him.

This would be typical Vabeach politics but also it would also cause conflicts with Divaris or however you spell his name. He has his vision and also Vabeach hasn't been spending decades on buying land and planning. Vabeach has done alot in the short period of time but things like this take a long time in planning and this is more of a private venture.

• 1 month later...

Well, a little more digging and I answered my own question! :w00t:

Beautiful color renderings!

http://www.thomashamiltonassociates.com/town_center_west.php

I haven't even read it yet. I just saw it and quickly posted...so let me get back to reading.

Excellent find! I've been crawling the net for 3 days looking for updates, you scooped me. :angry:

When the news of this first came out I did a search for thomas hamilton and associates. A website came up but it was under construction. Well, I didn't remember about the website until I type the first post asking for updated news.

...and there we go, the website was up.

ummm... suburban :(

It's seems more like a hybrid to me actually. Does away with the huge parking lot in favor of a parking garage but does have that suburban office park look. It's not terrible but it's not great either.

Archived