Virginia Beach City Center/Town Center West

vdogg

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds an awful lot like the building that is supposed to be Town Center West. Are we sure that it is not the same building being renamed?

It is the exact same project, hence the thread title. The project is called city center, the building will be labelled "Town Center West" according to the planning documents. I was whistling because we broke this story about a month ago. :lol:

It would seem to be the same location. Here is a rendering from the Pilot. I like all the glass with the concrete.

citycenter.jpg

Ok guys, look, this is the same project, which is why I put the article in this thread. This is completely different however from the "Pembroke Retail Office Park" that was announced a year ago.

It is curious how in the rendering it looks like they changed the label on top of the building.

So in the online article that you had a link to, what is happening to the Lonestar building? From the previous posts it looked to me as if this new building would rap sort of around the Lonestar bulding. In the article, it made it sound like TCW would be built on top of it.

Edit: Oh wait, I just looked at the pictures again of where it will be. I havent been down that way in a while so I'm guessing what I saw TCW being built around was the pawn shop you mentioned. What is happening to it then, anything?

Vdogg, do you know who will be redeveloping the Pembroke building? Just curious if that project is still a go.

Yeah, I'll have to dig up that name when I get home. I've talked to my mother and they've been all over the place on it. It is still a planned project as far as I know but things were really supposed to be start happening by the beginning of this year so I don't know what gives. There are a lot of city offices in those buildings and one of the issues is ensuring that the city is accomodated before they move forward on their plans with any of those buildings. I do know that at least my mothers office has been informed to expect to move so who knows. :dontknow:

So in the online article that you had a link to, what is happening to the Lonestar building? From the previous posts it looked to me as if this new building would rap sort of around the Lonestar bulding. In the article, it made it sound like TCW would be built on top of it.

Edit: Oh wait, I just looked at the pictures again of where it will be. I havent been down that way in a while so I'm guessing what I saw TCW being built around was the pawn shop you mentioned. What is happening to it then, anything?

Lonestar is getting torn down to make way for this project. I do not know the status of the pawn shop however, hopefully they will move too, as it's really not compatible with this project.

It would seem to be the same location. Here is a rendering from the Pilot. I like all the glass with the concrete.

citycenter.jpg

*heavy dose of sarcasm* Looks familiar. Isn't there a building that looks like it nearby. Oh yeah, the AH Tower.

I suppose, like all the new hotels on the Strip, all new buildings in Pembroke have to look the same.

*heavy dose of sarcasm* Looks familiar. Isn't there a building that looks like it nearby. Oh yeah, the AH Tower.

I suppose, like all the new hotels on the Strip, all new buildings in Pembroke have to look the same.

I think it looks like the tower in city center, oyster point. Can we please find new name's for these projects other than town center or city center.

I think it looks like the tower in city center, oyster point.

Yeah, it looks nothing like the AH tower to me but looks almost exactly like that office buildings in NN city center. Is color really that expensive? :lol: Could we perhaps start putting out color renderings please?

Yeah, I suppose AH has less glass. However, they're still both white granite/concrete buildings with blue glass. I'm just looking for some color like rose or red brick, rose or black granite, green stone, even beige concrete, just anything besides blue glass and white concrete.

I think it looks like the tower in city center, oyster point. Can we please find new name's for these projects other than town center or city center.

Gawd Yes! I'm confused all the time. Ther'es going to be a rash of jokes about this stuff--people not knowing where Town Center, City Vista, Village Mega-Node, People's Nexus, Power-Tower Center, Commerce Centroid, Urban G-Spot, Lexus Commons.. I can't keep up with it, guess I'll go retire to Bunny Run.

Oyster Point and Pembroke are way better names.

I finally got to look over the Pilot article concerning this building...and I like what I'm hearing about this one. This is a totally private owner developing this project to fit in with Town Center. Names are names and don't really matter much to me, and the color might not be agressive enough for some. I think that similar colors help to tie it all together with a bookend type of effect. I'm stoked that this project will hopefully transform the transition area into an urban landscape. It also sounds like the push is on for the Flea Market to get redeveloped. I'm just pumped, we could have gotten a new car stereo dealer and swimming pool accessory shop...instead we have to deal with a building that helps expand and legitimize TC's presence. ^_^

I think also the more redevelopment comes along the more other properties will look to do the same. I can imagine there are other properties such as the flea market that are being seriously considered for great mixed use purposes. And as you said this City Center development puts the book-end on the west end hopefully causing more properties to want to join in.

The planning commission has approved city center, it goes to a vote by council on March 28th.

There was actually an interesting moment in the Planning Commission meeting last week when this came up for the consent agenda. A rep for Great Atlantic Management (who manages the Pembroke Office Park) was rather concerned about how close this building, or better yet the parking garage, was going to be to the #6 building. The item was removed from the consent agenda to give him time to go outside with the architect reps and the zoning attorney to discuss the issue. When they came back in, I asked him how close it was going to be (he was sitting just behind me) and he said that they had agreed to work it out to their satisfaction if he removed his objection to placing it on the consent agenda - which he did. So I'm wondering what the future of the Pembroke Buildings really is since he was quite concerned about the proximity and the views that his tenants would be left with.

There was actually an interesting moment in the Planning Commission meeting last week when this came up for the consent agenda. A rep for Great Atlantic Management (who manages the Pembroke Office Park) was rather concerned about how close this building, or better yet the parking garage, was going to be to the #6 building. The item was removed from the consent agenda to give him time to go outside with the architect reps and the zoning attorney to discuss the issue. When they came back in, I asked him how close it was going to be (he was sitting just behind me) and he said that they had agreed to work it out to their satisfaction if he removed his objection to placing it on the consent agenda - which he did. So I'm wondering what the future of the Pembroke Buildings really is since he was quite concerned about the proximity and the views that his tenants would be left with.

Well if he is concerned about his view being blocked by a 9-story building then surely he has scaled back his grand plans somewhat. :rolleyes: At the very least that would make me think that Pembroke 6 is staying put. I wonder if that retail/office park is still a go? :unsure: They should have been much further along by now and any new details have slowed to a trickle.

Archived