What makes Atlanta a great city

Newnan

I got this from the Illinois Forum. The Atlanta area has grown extensively over the years. So I'd like to know, what attracts so many people to the area and what makes Atlanta a good city. This should be interesting

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cost of living, weather & economy - otherwise Atlanta would be any other small southern city.

You'd probably want to add location in. It's somewhat central location in the Southeast is good for anyone looking to go to another SE City (like Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Chattanooga, Greenville, Birmingham, etc.).

Another thing to add would probably be civic pride and vision: we never seem to be running short of dreams we want to achieve (like the aspirations today for transit, the Beltline, a tourist district in Centennial Park, more skyscrapers, conventions, Super Bowls, and even World's Fairs).

But what teshadoh described is pretty much the bare bones of it. :)

I was in Savannah over the New Year and the conversation turned to how improbable the success of Atlanta is. Thoughtfully, it would make much more sense for Savannah to have become the states leading city. We deceided that Coke and Delta played the predominant role in boosting Atlanta to where it is now. The terminus that is often touted as the reason for Atlanta'a success pales in comparison to the effects that an ocean port would have had on a cities economy. Delta deciding to relocate HQ in Atlanta over Birmingham was critical once the aviation era took away the necessity of a deep water port.

What continues to make Atlanta a great city? I would have to agree with Brad; climate, cost of living, and the overall business environment (low taxes, right to work laws) have made Atlanta a draw for established companies and start ups. Three top ranked universities and a college degree rate much higher then the national average have helped as well. And then there is the civic pride factor. Atlanta's business community has always been tireless boosters of this improbable city. It's tough to quantify that.

I agree with everyone's observations. Savannah would have been awesome, although I must say it gets pretty humid in the summer. I also agree that boosterism has played a large role in Atlanta's past success, and for that matter it still does. Becoming the state capital was also a biggie, and that in turn brought a large federal focus here after the war.

I don't want to reopen a can of worms, but I would add that Atlanta's reputation as a place that welcomes diversity has also been a significant factor. While that reputation may not be entirely deserved, I'd wager that things like Atlanta's strong association with the civil rights movement, the highly successful Pride festival, the fact that we've had several well regarded African American mayors, and the presence of the Carter Center have helped Atlanta break away from the pack of other Southern cities.

Frankly, you can find a fancy office or condo tower just about any place these days. But I believe people are drawn to areas which they perceive as offering hope and opportunity. They'll put up with about anything if they believe there's a chance to make a better life.

The terminus that is often touted as the reason for Atlanta'a success pales in comparison to the effects that an ocean port would have had on a cities economy.

I think the terminus is what first made it successful (in the 1800's and early 1900's), but it was Delta and Coke that carried the success from there and are the main reason we are here today.

The question is, though, what will happen to Delta and how will it affect our community?

The question is, though, what will happen to Delta and how will it affect our community?

I'm under the impression that Delta won't go under, based on talks between the company and pilots union. This is a good thing since Delta employs somewhere around 30k - 35k workers just in Atlanta. Not to mention about 80% of Hartsfield/Jackson's flights are Delta or associated. If it DID go under, it would look alot like Eastern back in the 80's. Atlanta would definitely suffer but it wouldn't be a death blow. The region's economy is just too diversified. With Atlanta's great location (about 70 - 80% of the nation's population is within 2 hours flytime from Atlanta) other airlines would fill in the tremendous vaccum Delta would create and we'd be back in the game in another 3-4 years.

Just my opinion though.

Archived