CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Liberty Square Rennovations

RestedTraveler

The improvements and rennovations of the walkways along Beattie Place in front of Liberty Square are looking great! My daughter and I walked around there yesterday and snapped a few photos.

Here are some photos from Sunday, January 1, 2006:

20060101173.jpg

20060101177.jpg

There are quotes pertaining to "liberty" all about the parts of the walkway paved with stone.

20060101162.jpg

There is going to be a water feature between the Liberty Square Parking Garage and Number Two Liberty Square:

20060101185.jpg

The whole place is going to be lighted very well with both the landscape lighting and the uplighting on the covered walkways. :D

Edit: This one really belongs with this set, too:

80549878_4af190fbb6_b.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to post them. I've been wanting to go take some photos of this for a while, but I'm a cheapskate when it comes to parking in the vacinity.

These are indeed some nice improvements and it certainly will make the area more pedestrian-friendly.

The "liberty" quotes all along the way make for a very interesting scavenger hunt, too.

It looks like there's going to be a small cafe or restaurant there, very likely with outdoor seating on a large circular patio paved with the stone pavers. I could find no evidence that it is going to be a Starbucks or anything of the like though. I'm very curious to see what will it will be.

It definitely appears that there's going to be a walk-up ATM machine built into the left side of the structure though. The frame of the opening there is reinforced pretty heavily.

RT, I was in the same areas myself on Sunday. Did you notice that the water feature seems to have jets shooting from ground level? It will be interesting to see how it all looks when it is completed.

I also wish they would pick up the pace on the fountain planned for the triangle area in front of the Little Theater.

I didn't notice the jets, but I did see the additional plumbing flanking the part pictured above.

As for the Triangle in front of the Little Theatre. Is that what they're doing there between College Street and Bumcombe Street? I wasn't aware there was going to be a fountain there, but I have noticed that they're taking a long time to complete work in that area. A fountain would do nicely there, indeed. :thumbsup:

Great photos RT! This is a vast improvement for this late eighties development. Wish they would put up a sign announcing what the restaurant/shop/cofee house will be.

It looks like the landscaping and sidewalk redo runs all the way up to Church Street. Was this a city/private partnership?

I didn't notice the jets, but I did see the additional plumbing flanking the part pictured above.

As for the Triangle in front of the Little Theatre. Is that what they're doing there between College Street and Bumcombe Street? I wasn't aware there was going to be a fountain there, but I have noticed that they're taking a long time to complete work in that area. A fountain would do nicely there, indeed. :thumbsup:

That is my understanding. It has indeed been a long time coming though. The re-landscaping in front of Heritage Green is also taking a very long time as well.

That is my understanding. It has indeed been a long time coming though. The re-landscaping in front of Heritage Green is also taking a very long time as well.

I though the landscaping of Heritage Green was suppose to coincide with the opening of the childrens museum? Which by the way, does anybody know where they are on the funds for that? I thought almost all the money had been raised, but haven't heard anything lately.

• 1 month later...

My company was looking at relocating to one of the Liberty buildings back in October, so I asked the building's management what the cafe was going to be. The said it would be a breakfast/coffee cafe in the morning, then sell cocktails later in the day. They said they would "carry a recognizable coffee brand," but my impression is that it will be a local mom and pop type establishment.

A coworker was checking out the liberty quotes at Liberty Square this weekend and apparently one of them is misquoted: A Rousseau quote should say 'A country can not exist without liberty just as liberty cannot exist without virtue' actually reads "with virtue".

We're going to contact Liberty or Rescom to see if they can fix that before any grand opening or ribbon cutting. Pretty funny though.

A coworker was checking out the liberty quotes at Liberty Square this weekend and apparently one of them is misquoted: A Rousseau quote should say 'A country can not exist without liberty just as liberty cannot exist without virtue' actually reads "with virtue".

We're going to contact Liberty or Rescom to see if they can fix that before any grand opening or ribbon cutting. Pretty funny though.

:rofl: good catch!

When I looked in the as yet empty added retail space there, it's obvious that Rescom is all over it. I'm not sure if they're the ones that did the walkways and quotes though.

I've got photos of nearly every quote (if not all of them) all along that area that my daughter and I took a few weeks back. I didn't catch this error, myself. :blush: I'll try to upload them and post them when I've got some time.

Yea, I kinda came in late on the heels of this project so Harper were the only ones I saw there. Our guys were digging out for a water feature of some sort, have you seen this anywhere there?

The water feature is between the Liberty Square Parking Garage and Number Two Liberty Square. There's a photo of it above, but I'll re-post it here:

20060101185.jpg

Archived