What will the south be like in 2050

Newnan

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the south will continue to thrive and more cities will begin and continue to grow into major cities like those in the Northeast.I predict the I-85 coridor will be a continueous streach from Atlanta to Raliegh and cities in upstate SC will see Major economic growth.Myrtle Beach will be a mini Miami and the Whole region will be the economic backbone of the US.

Just take current trends and stretch them out 44 years:

1. The South will be much more diverse demographically; Hispanics will be the majority in Texas, and the rest of the region will be more of a mix than it currently is, and it will be much more heavily populated than now.

2. Suburban sprawl will spread further, although downtowns and urban cores will also see increased development.

3. The South will be significantly wealthier and better-educated than today.

Along the I-85 corridor,

sprawl, sprawl, sprawl.....

sprawl, sprawl, sprawl.....

more highways, more highways, more highways....

more highways, more highways, more highways....

It [meaning I-85] will become the official parking lot of the south from Durham to Atlanta

Im also optimistic lessons learned from the northeast and midwest will bring smarter growth and planning to the south :D

Not only do I believe that the upper south and Florida will grow into huge metros, I think the gulf coast metros from Tallahassee, to Pensacola, to Mobile, to Biloxi, and on the New Orleans will all meet like one endless city. I think Charlotte and Atlanta will continue to grow. I also think that the image of the south will improve as more people move here from outside of the area. I just hope thats a good thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My vision of the South, in the future will be much denser downtowns resembling downtowns of the Northeast, less racial problems, more groups mixing and mingling lol, Better transportation especially in Florida, High Speed Rail! Ton's of freeways but I predict less congestion and sprawl because we've learned from the North, to conserve our lands but also densify our downtowns.

I predict that Dallas-Ft Worth will replace Chicago as the nation's 3rd largest metropolitan area. I also predict that the San Antonio and Austin urbanized areas will touch and each will contain 3.5 million people for a total of 7 million people between both metros. I also predict that San Antonio and Austin will be connected by 1 very urbanized interstate (I-35), one less urbanized toll road (SH-130), and commuter rail.

I see growth along the I-75 corridor between Macon, Atlanta, and Chattanooga, and one day the corridor will be litted with uninterrupted development. Same goes for pretty much the entire I-85 corridor.

Development will accelerate between Birmingham and Huntsville and between Huntsville and Nashville. Birmingham and Tuscaloosa will be lumped into a CMSA.

Archived