Tallahassee | 2008

Florida

Tallahassee {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} 2007

NOW 2008!!

IMG_7931.jpg

What will become of our beautiful city this year?

I'm most looking forward to the completion of the Tennyson and Tallahassee Center condos, in addition to watching Plaza Tower rise thru the year.

Also on my wish list is to see the widening begin on I-10 thru Tallahassee, and work progress along Capital Circle.

Will we lure a discount carrier this year for the airport? I sure hope so.

And will what will become of Cascades Park and Gaines Street? Good things I hope.

And Turbocor will help to spark diversification of Tallahassee's economy.

These will be some of the things I'll be most excited about in the new year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree w/your list TJ and I'll add:

better local news and updated studios

an interior update to our 2 local major malls

more interesting local restaurants

progress even if it's on paper for the Performing Arts Center

visable progress on Gaines Street

the cleaning up of College Avenue

another non-government company locating here

a few new progressive county commissioners

more talk of county/city consolidation

new retail downtown

a more regional outlook by our governments

and finally....few more palms and a few less crappy myrtles!

I agree w/your list TJ and I'll add:

better local news and updated studios

:thumbsup: Big props for this one. Yes... yes... yes... They have no idea how big an impact our local news has on our City's image. I still don't think they understand (the news channels) the news is useless. "We're on your side" -- News Channel 27, well prove it! I mean, why don't we invite them over to our homes and let them sit on our side and watch themselves... we'll make it a party and compare our local news to the news of other cities throughout the country and see how they respond to it. Visually, its embarassing, and the coverage is so short for bascially every story that we basically don't learn anything which is why we stay so hungry for information.

Poonther can we have the news comparison party at your house?! (Only joking).

Connect Tallahassee and Columbus with an interstate! This would be awesome for both of these great cities! I know it can't be done in 2006, but it could be started. I know people in Columbus would like it, and I am sure people in Tally would like it too.

Connect Tallahassee and Columbus with an interstate! This would be awesome for both of these great cities! I know it can't be done in 2006, but it could be started. I know people in Columbus would like it, and I am sure people in Tally would like it too.

If it happens that the road is considered, GA would have to start it. I think the roadwork into Georgia from Tallahassee is quite a beautiful drive. And while 319 isn't an interstate, it feels like one thru Tallahassee, its not too late to make some changes to convert it into interstate, with access roads on the side to service the businesses along Thomasville Road. Either this, or we can find a brand new undeveloped path to convert. It would be great to have a more direct route to the north, I've been saying that for a long time. And given Columbus' location near the Alabama line, access to Montogmery and I-65 would be nice also.

I would like to see:

• a few new downtown restaurants on par with Harry's and 228

• good redevelopment proposals for recently disposed state property downtown

• new hi-rise condo units bought pre-construction as an investment sold to people who will actually live there

Ditto on the other items already mentioned above...

and I must say that I am pretty happy that I stumbled upon this forum this weekend from a link in Southwood's TownTalk - it is awesome!

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet-Tallahassee thetoolman! :yahoo:

I like the things you've put on your wish list... especially the request for more restaurants on par with Harry's as I am a downtown employee and I love to eat!

Southwood gave us a plug in the newsletter huh!? That's awesome! I wonder if anyone currently on the board (St.Joe, Celebrated...) is responsible! Thanks for sharing that!

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet-Tallahassee thetoolman! :yahoo:

Southwood gave us a plug in the newsletter huh!? That's awesome! I wonder if anyone currently on the board (St.Joe, Celebrated...) is responsible! Thanks for sharing that!

It was not an official plug - one of the Southwood residents posted pics of the new townhome design from Huffman Tarmey on the neighborhood forum (TownTalk) that were originally posted by you (I think) here. I explored the link and subsequently read a few thousand posts over the weekend!

That would be genius.

Im awaiting I-10 as well Taurean. I cant wait for the impressive Thomasville road interchange improvements...

Question... with all this activity around the interchange....... Doesnt it seem fit that they widen thomasville road into town from at least 4 lanes to 6 lanes? we are bottlenecking here...

Im awaiting I-10 as well Taurean. I cant wait for the impressive Thomasville road interchange improvements...

Question... with all this activity around the interchange....... Doesnt it seem fit that they widen thomasville road into town from at least 4 lanes to 6 lanes? we are bottlenecking here...

It would seem possible to do a little widening from I-10 possibly to Betton Road... this could mean giving up sidewalks in some places however.

Those Fly-overs are going to make a tremendous impact on the local streets... I haven't seen any plans to expand Thomasville road south of the interstate except immediately surrounding the interstate. But the fly-over more affects Capital Circle than Thomasville road, so I assume we'll be ok.

It was not an official plug - one of the Southwood residents posted pics of the new townhome design from Huffman Tarmey on the neighborhood forum (TownTalk) that were originally posted by you (I think) here. I explored the link and subsequently read a few thousand posts over the weekend!

I think it could have been another new member, SouthwoodResident, that gave us the nice plug. Last week he or she asked about the source of the images of the new-design condos.

Hi. I've been reading through the Southwood posts and pictures. Nice photography! I've lived in Southwood for a few years now, and it's been a nice experience. I've thought about buying a townhouse, and saw the drawings of the new townhomes. I like the look and wonder if someone could identify the source of the drawings?

Haufman/Tarmey designed them, same people who designed the Tennyson, many of the homes in the All-Saints area, and many of the homes there in Southwood already. I believe they've also done some work for K2 Urban although I haven't confirmed that, and they're also working on the Fallschase project. The picture of the Fallschase school was theirs that I posted.

Its great to have so many new people on here to talk to. I hope to see more excitement as a result.

It would seem possible to do a little widening from I-10 possibly to Betton Road... this could mean giving up sidewalks in some places however.

Those Fly-overs are going to make a tremendous impact on the local streets... I haven't seen any plans to expand Thomasville road south of the interstate except immediately surrounding the interstate. But the fly-over more affects Capital Circle than Thomasville road, so I assume we'll be ok.

Maybe I missed it, but are there any renderings for the new intechange?

It was me! The question was posed on the TownTalk as to what was being built across from Town Center so I simply posted the link to the Urban Planet forum where the renderings of the townhomes were posted.

I think SouthwoodResident may have also ended up on this forum from that same link.

If it happens that the road is considered, GA would have to start it. I think the roadwork into Georgia from Tallahassee is quite a beautiful drive. And while 319 isn't an interstate, it feels like one thru Tallahassee, its not too late to make some changes to convert it into interstate, with access roads on the side to service the businesses along Thomasville Road. Either this, or we can find a brand new undeveloped path to convert. It would be great to have a more direct route to the north, I've been saying that for a long time. And given Columbus' location near the Alabama line, access to Montogmery and I-65 would be nice also.
U.S. 19 through Monticello and South Georgia was destined to be an interstate in an earlier time. The road, known as the "Georgia-Florida Parkway" was supposed to be an Interstate route connecting I-75 in Macon to I-10 in Monticello, along the way going through Thomasville and Albany.

I doubt any revivial will happen, unless a legislator gets on their high horse and gets funding under the guise of economic development or something. As far as connecting Tallahassee to Columbus, it's not a bad idea at all, but I can imagine those stupid tree huggers protesting it, that it will harm the 'Hootch.

I-10 is going to be widened to 6 lanes through the entire state. I don't know it all of it is warranted. Leon, Gadsden and Jefferson do need a 6 lane I-10, but I don't think the whole thing needs to be widened, given the amount of traffic it has. Those funds could be better served to widen I-75 to 6 lanes in Southwest Florida, which so desperately needs it.

Widening Thomasville is not in our future. NIMBYs are going to heavily protest it. And we can't reduce the entire bottleneck to begin with. Even if we widen it to 6 lanes from Metropolitan to Betton.....that 2 lane stretch of Thomasville in midtown cannot be widened without bulldozing some buildings. We're gonna have a bottleneck regardless, so I think we'll have to learn to live with Thomasville.

I-75 into Tampa is completely different than Thomasville Rd. There are already neighborhoods established along T'ville whereas I-75 was built with room for expansion envisioned when original land was purchased.

Just think if it was your house...would it still be "stupid?"

I-75 into Tampa is completely different than Thomasville Rd. There are already neighborhoods established along T'ville whereas I-75 was built with room for expansion envisioned when original land was purchased.

If it's my house? Yes, honestly, I would be annoyed. But it's for the greater good. My home in Miami is two blocks from the Turnpike Extension, which was built 15 years after the house was. Yes, I am annoyed that I can hear traffic from the road. But, it's for the good of everyone. It's good for me too, where I can hop on the Turnpike, instead of sitting in traffic on the Palmetto.

Like someone in the forums said the other day, the people that beotch and complain about the project are the first people to benefit from it. Those "stupid" NIMBYs in regard to Blair Stone, they're the same ones using the bloody road!

This may sound controversial, but most people are stupid (myself included). They don't accurate see the big picture, and they need to be forced to sometimes.

Where did I compare I-75 to Thomasville Road? To simplify what I said, I stated that the money being used to widen I-10 could be used to widen I-75.

I just looked at the state's list of road-projects for South-west Florida and there seems to be a good bit of money going to improve I-75 and other roads in that part of the state. Still I wouldn't worry that Tallahassee is recieveing undeserved money for our road improvements, as we're always last for anything the state does. It's kinda like the mother making sure the kids have enough to eat before she eats.

I don't know the history of the Florida-Georgia Parkway, but if what you say is true, we need to get our act together and pressure whatever representitives we have to get that road built.

Putting myself in their shoes, yes I would be annoyed because I like to be able to sit on my porch and breath fresh air, not having to hear cars roaring down the highway like they're driving in the Indy 500. But if it was for the greater good, then I'd have to suck it up and deal with it. In the end I would appreciate it more because I would be able to hop on the interstate and just go.

Archived