Tallahassee | 2008

Florida

But like most of us can't a NIMBY find a new place to call home. Often times the government will offer to buy you out of your home if a project is going to run close to it.

I can understand a NIMBY with a valid concern, such as one who complains about parties and loud music from neighbors, or living near a sexual preditor, or dogs always barking... but not the type that complain about progress all in the name of keeping the door shut to others. To me, that's selfish.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a thread out in the Florida forum that asks which Florida cities will shine in 2006. I think Tallahassee will definately shine this year. There are tons of things going on that will drastically add more life to our city, and bring tons of new colors.

What types of things, going on and proposed do you all think will have drastic affects on our city? Keep an open mind, and try to think of more than just changes to the downtown... :)

Absolutely... I'm also very excited about this road and Capital Circle. I can't want to get the whole thing done... Capital circle must be completed within the next 10 years if we're to stay in the economic race.

the project that excites me most of all those going on in Tallahassee... Capital Cascades Trail.

Murphy were you paying attention back before we approved Blueprint2000 to the Tallahassee Democrat Articles on the Capital Cascades Trail. One day in April of 1999 they used a picture that showed a Boat/a Rich man's boat, in this large artifical body of water with Tallahassee's skyline in the background. I think this image single handedly won my support. Now of course they tell us those images were unrealistic. LOL! Shame on them.

For shame! yes actually i found the article in recent history when the democrate did thier "tally history" special feature which included a few tidbits on the tallahassee canal projects we discussed on here. in looking for more on that i came across the picture you mentioned. What a Freaking Awsome thing that would be... Just flood the Franklin blvd area, appalachee parkway would be magnificent!

• 2 weeks later...

Business Outlook 2006

My View by TJ Lewis

Tennyson.jpg

Frankly... I was disappointed with this year's Business Outlook 2006. It didn't teach me anything new. The only word that I take with me from reading it is, "steady"... which is something I've been reading for years.

The Condo coverage was poor, at best. The figures used for units sold weren't accurate, or at least lagged behind the figures given to me months ago by those in sales for the individual projects. For example, the Plaza Tower had sold over half of its 202 units back in December. Today's paper said they'd only sold 100, that's not half. That's fewer sold than there were in December. And they didn't care to mention how sales for the Plaza Tower may not refelct reservations that were made prior to Hurricane Wilma hit the BCOM offices in Miami, which may not have been processed yet. I've also been told by those working at Granger that the Tennyson is completely sold, 100%, and any units available are resales. The Democrat reports 86/90 have been sold.

The thing that annoyed me most is "they" reported the Governor's Inn at 3 stories in the article and 2 stories in the "Downtown Condos Under Construction" graphic, and the Governor's Inn is NOT under construction any longer, as you all know, these units were converted last year, and the conversion is complete as I reported to you the day The Governor's Inn opened their doors for tours in OCTOBER OF 2005. I'm also sorry they didn't care to mention the Cloisters Lofts in the All Saints area as a set of 2 Buildings one as a 3 story, the other as 4 stories. They did mention the All Saints Condos as a two story project. No mention of Frenchtown redevelopment as far as I could see.

How about a mention of any of the restaurants slated for the retail space at any of the projects, there was no update on the Diamond at Monroe LLC, the Floridan Office/Hyatt Place Hotel, Gaines Street Revitalization or the Marriott Residence Inn under construction at the corner of Gaines and Railroad. They mention the Civic Center Hotel at 19 stories and still report the 96 condos are part of the plan, when we heard CCA members say at the City Commission Meeting CLEAR AS DAY we're back to 47 units. :angry:

My point is, The Tallahassee Democrat didn't do its homework and probably put this report together overnight. I'm disappointed... and that's an understatment. -_-

I called the Tallahassee Democrat about the Online Extra promised in the paper. The man I spoke with was "99.9% sure" that I was looking in the right place, but said they probably "let this one slip thru the cracks". He says if its not up later today it will be up tomorrow.

I called the Tallahassee Democrat about the Online Extra promised in the paper. The man I spoke with was "99.9% sure" that I was looking in the right place, but said they probably "let this one slip thru the cracks". He says if its not up later today it will be up tomorrow.

It's now 1:20 Monday afternoon and the Democrat still hasn't posted the Online Extra on their website....arghhhh! :angry:

Speed reading rocks. While I'm proud that we are coming up, the fact remains that state government STILL makes up a big portion of the city's job base. No offense, but that's lame to have the bulk of a community's jobs come from the government sector. Hopefully with Turbocor coming here, that can be the spark for future good-paying jobs to set up shop here.

Archived