Tallahassee | 2008

Florida

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New City Developments for 2008

TALLAHASSEE - Tallahassee residents can plan on seeing some new developments this year as long as the Mayor gets his way.

Plans are in the works to improve a major corridor, go green, and continue affordable housing. Some of these projects, such as the city's push to "go green," are already underway. The mayor says commissioners will focus on the Gaines Street Revitalization throughout the year. A lot of residents, however, say they'll believe it when they see it.

Run down buildings and vacant lots line the busy Gaines Street, and the sign on the street says it: this place is about to undergo some serious revitalization, including preserving historical resources and bringing in more businesses. Frequent travelers of the corridor say the changes are welcome but they aren't holding their breath."A lot of abandoned buildings are on Gaines Street," said Conchita Gibbs, a Tallahassee resident. "And if you can put life into those it would be fine, it would be a major attraction."

Also on the list for the new year: continuing the city's major "go green" initiative. The city hopes to recruit more residents to recycle. "I think they're doing a good job, but I think we could also do more," said Pam Hull, another city resident. "I think as far as recycling, I think making it easier for the community and people in their neighborhoods. Switching gears to the housing market the mayor hopes to continue his push for affordable housing, including a controversial move making major housing developments include ten percent of affordable units.

Some residents say it's a great idea. Others worry it could downgrade their neighborhoods. "We've successfully defended our exclusionary housing ordinance," said Mayor John Marks. "This was an initiative that was watched nationwide." As for other developments in 2008, Mayor Marks says there's a lot more on the drawing board that will be announced in the months to come.

Source/Video: WCTV.tv

Archived