Tallahassee | 2008

Florida

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was in charge this year, I'd gather up a few people from the Economic Development council and we'd go on a trip to cities like Atlanta, Austin and Raleigh, to get ideas from those people on how we can lure better-paying jobs here. Once we got some good ideas, I would implement them. Second, I'd find a way to get FSU, FAMU, TCC, COT and Leon County all on the same page because believe it or not, each of them play a vital role in bringing good jobs here.

If I was in charge this year, I'd gather up a few people from the Economic Development council and we'd go on a trip to cities like Atlanta, Austin and Raleigh, to get ideas from those people on how we can lure better-paying jobs here. Once we got some good ideas, I would implement them. Second, I'd find a way to get FSU, FAMU, TCC, COT and Leon County all on the same page because believe it or not, each of them play a vital role in bringing good jobs here.

I agree. I'm curious among those who read these threads... how would you all like Tallahassee to develop?

I'd like to ultimately see (maybe 30 years from now) a city about the size of Austin, TX with a beautiful, full skyline, surrounded by beautiful canopy covered neighborhoods. I'd also like to see more international flavor/diversity in our city. We are racially diverse, but that's not the same. And I'd like for the school board to place more emphasis on learning foreign languages at an early ages and more public school emphasis on engineering.

For the future I'd like for there to be some company producing all sorts of goods that say "Made in Tallahassee" much like the product line of SONY with their variety of TVs, radios, computers, memory cards, cameras, etc. I think we can do it wether its a dog toy, a magnetic based product, or a television set. I think Tallahassee should take a close look at getting into Audio equipment R&D industry as magnets play a key role in the production of quality sound.

I really hope to one day see developments that connect Tallahassee with the central core of Qunicy and industrial Gadsden county, and the Wakulla County coast as a resort area. You'd be able to drive from one city to the other without the feeling of leaving civilization. There would be a transition from industrial jobs in Gadsden, Service/Technology/Government/Education driven Tallahassee and Leon County, and Golfing, Hunting, Fishing, Vacation Resort Wakulla County. Jefferson would remain for the most part untouched.

I'd hope to see FAMU and FSU as top notch universities earning national recognition for both academics and sports, and best public schools in the state. And I think it may be interesting to one day see a UT (University of Tallahassee) established, kinda to rival UM.

My ideal population for Tallahassee: 400,000-450,000 people.

Metro: 600,000-850,000.

My goals would be, not to expand the boundaries of Tallahassee's reach but to fill in the voids with quality development.

I would like to see an improvement of our DT infrastructure in order to create an accessible DT so that people would like to live there. I think with 3k residents DT, and some enviromentally monitored development connecting the region would be ultimate for a successful society. I dont htink wakulla would like the role of being our resort town though (even if they are).

I like bringing in green industries, and audio companies seem like an awsome fit. The loan money from 2 major universities certainly would support them locally. Maybe also a pharmacutical lab for famu's awsome program to fuel. I liek the idea of our city supporting the ventures of local nursaries both in leon and our neighboring counties.

I dont like the idea of spending a bunch of money on trips to other cities for our idea people. Its an issue easily resolved with conversing, not meeting really. Save a lil on the cost of operating a service like economic development, and we can have more money to lure companies with. companies want cheaper stuff, deals on power and such. We pick the ones we want and blow them away with intent and knowledge base- sold! To tallahassee!

How about getting a sound stage like the one coming together in georgia. Fsu film school- on steriods!

Second, I'd find a way to get FSU, FAMU, TCC, COT and Leon County all on the same page because believe it or not, each of them play a vital role in bringing good jobs here.

This is so vital to our well-being and good growth EG. I feel that consolidation would help greatly in this matter, as would FAMU getting their house better in-shape and for FSU to quit demanding and fighting the city all the time. Only TCC and COT are doing a good job currently IMO.

I'd also add to this mix the MPO, the goverments of Wakulla, Gadsden and Jefferson Counties, and the Chamber of Commerce becoming a true regional chamber having members from the entire metro area and supporting development in all areas of the metro.

MPO, the goverments of Wakulla, Gadsden and Jefferson Counties, and the Chamber of Commerce becoming a true regional chamber having members from the entire metro area and supporting development in all areas of the metro.

I agree. This is very vital. Gone should be the days when we complain about a company leaving Tallahassee to save money in Gadsden or vice versa. We definately need the regional cooperation. It would help in so many ways.

• 11 months later...

2006: Good: Tennyson and Tallahassee Center

Bad: No Diamond on Monroe or 417 Park

Ugly: Torrey Pines

In 2007 we should see the Titans begin play, Floridian beginning construction, Plaza Tower very close to completion, more movement on the PAC and convention center (hopefully), and maybe more to come on the Florida Retail Federation building.

I would like to see the following in 2007:

1. Construction to start on the Welaunee Development

2. Construction to begin on the Compass Pointe Development at the Airport

3. Fallschase to start construction

4. American Eagle and United Express Airlines to begin flying out of Tallahassee

5. Two major Fortune 500 corporations to announce their relocation to Tallahassee Metro Area :yahoo:

6. FSU to win the ACC championship in football

7. FAMU to win the MEAC championship

I would like to see the following in 2007:
  1. Construction to start on the Welaunee Development

2. Construction to begin on the Compass Pointe Development at the Airport

3. Fallschase to start construction

4. American Eagle and United Express Airlines to begin flying out of Tallahassee

5. Two major Fortune 500 corporations to announce their relocation to Tallahassee Metro Area :yahoo:

6. FSU to win the ACC championship in football

7. FAMU to win the MEAC championship

I notice you didn't mention Fallschase... I suppose not as excited about that one huh? I'm excited about Fallschase and I'm a bit disappointed we have no progress to measure at this point.

TJ, look at number three. I am anxiously awaiting the construction of Fallschase. :D

• 3 months later...

Get out & See

Tallahassee

May 12, 2007

FREE Admission at these participating Locations

Museum of Florida History

10am - 4:30 pm

850-245-6400

500 S. Bronough Street

www.flheritage.com/museum/

Knott House Museum

10am - 4 pm

850-922-2459

301 East Park Avenue

www.taltrust.org/knott.htm

Mission San Luis

10 am - 4:30 pm

850-487-3655

2021 West Mission Road

www.missionsanluis.org

Challenger Learning Center

10am - 9pm

850-645-7827

200 South Duval Street

www.challengertlh.com

*Free Planetarium running every hour. IMAX will cost ya!

Historic Capitol Museum

10am - 4:30pm

850-487-1902

Monroe Street at Apalachee Parkway

www.flheritage.com/museum/sites/oldcapitol/

Tallahassee Museum

9am - 5pm

850-576-1636

3945 Museum Drive

www.tallahasseemuseum.org/

Mary Brogan Museum of Arts and Science

10am - 5pm

850-513-0700

350 South Duval Street

www.thebrogan.com

Maclay Gardens

8am - Sunset

850-487-4115

2440 Thomasville Road

www.ssnow.com/maclay

Downtown Marketplace

8am - 2pm

850-224-3252

111 South Monroe Street

www.tallahasseedowntown.com

FAMU Black Archives / Carnegie Library

10am - 4pm

850-599-3020

1500 South Martin Luther King Blvd

www.famu.edu/oldsite/acad/archives/index.html

LeMoyne Center for Visual Arts

10am - 5pm

850-222-8800

125 North Gadsden Street

www.lemoyne.org

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

2007 set the stage for further growth Business looks to springboard from '07

By Steve Liner

BUSINESS MATTERS EDITOR

This year may go down in area business history as the time we finally looked around and found ourselves. In a lot of ways, Tallahassee and the surrounding area is hitting its stride, a fact that makes 2008 look brighter here than just about any other market in the U.S.

Among business stories receiving the most attention in 2007 was DayJet, whose saga actually began at the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce annual conference at Amelia island in August 2005, with the appearance of Ed Iacabucci, the CEO who first envisioned the ground-breaking scheduling component that stands behind the revolutionary on-demand heart of the airline. Later, DayJet chose Tallahassee for its national ceremonial start. Last month, the airline announced it already was expanding by 28 new cities.

Turbocor was not far behind. Officially announced in 2006, Turbocor spawned its first spin off, precision parts maker Global CNC Solutions, a Tallahassee company, in January, more than six months before the ribbon was cut on Turbocor's plant. And in the fall Tallahassee hosted dignitaries from The Netherlands as well as Canada for the official plant opening.

Tallahassee's name as a center for entrepreneurship was enhanced when Leon County seeded the Vision 2020 venture capital fund and with recognition of Mainline Information System's Rick Kearney as Entrepreneur of the Year. Kearney later made news when he opened the upscale Staybridge Suites Hotel on Mainline's Summit East campus on U.S. 90 in Tallahassee.

Also on that campus (and mentored by Kearney) is Tallahassee-based Internet buying service eLayaway. The company posted real sales growth of 5,137 from December 2006 to this month, it was announced.

Source: TDO.com

2007 set the stage for further growth Business looks to springboard from '07

By Steve Liner

BUSINESS MATTERS EDITOR

This year may go down in area business history as the time we finally looked around and found ourselves. In a lot of ways, Tallahassee and the surrounding area is hitting its stride, a fact that makes 2008 look brighter here than just about any other market in the U.S.

Among business stories receiving the most attention in 2007 was DayJet, whose saga actually began at the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce annual conference at Amelia island in August 2005, with the appearance of Ed Iacabucci, the CEO who first envisioned the ground-breaking scheduling component that stands behind the revolutionary on-demand heart of the airline. Later, DayJet chose Tallahassee for its national ceremonial start. Last month, the airline announced it already was expanding by 28 new cities.

Turbocor was not far behind. Officially announced in 2006, Turbocor spawned its first spin off, precision parts maker Global CNC Solutions, a Tallahassee company, in January, more than six months before the ribbon was cut on Turbocor's plant. And in the fall Tallahassee hosted dignitaries from The Netherlands as well as Canada for the official plant opening.

Tallahassee's name as a center for entrepreneurship was enhanced when Leon County seeded the Vision 2020 venture capital fund and with recognition of Mainline Information System's Rick Kearney as Entrepreneur of the Year. Kearney later made news when he opened the upscale Staybridge Suites Hotel on Mainline's Summit East campus on U.S. 90 in Tallahassee.

Also on that campus (and mentored by Kearney) is Tallahassee-based Internet buying service eLayaway. The company posted real sales growth of 5,137 from December 2006 to this month, it was announced.

Source: TDO.com

Tallahassee Mayor Pleased with 2007

TALLAHASSEE -- Tallahassee's mayor says he's proud of what his city accomplished this year, especially on a restricted budget.

Mayor John Marks delivered some end of the year remarks to reporters in his office at City Hall on Monday.

Marks says the cities high approval rating shows good work is being done. He says he's most pleased with the cities efforts on regionalism, improved airline services, affordable housing and the cities go-green initiative.

"The fact that we are able to achieve what we have achieved not withstanding those constraints put on us by state government," said Marks. "Our citizens still give us an 80 percent approval rating."

Mayor Marks says in 2008 the city will focus on improving Gain Street, economic development and continue efforts to go green. He says the city is also working on some recycling initiatives.

Source: WCTV.tv

DayJet is not something the typical air traveler in Tallahassee will ever use. It will be nice for the more upper end businessmen/lobbyists/execs, etc (which is good, because it may help TLH get a more business friendly image that it currently lacks). But I dont see many families or leisure travelers planning a trip to Orlando (for example only) booking a flight on DayJet rather than what we currently have. Plus there's a lot of strings attatched, you have to guarantee a certain amount of flights per year, etc.

We will have to wait and see about AA, regarding their fares, etc. I really hope their entrance into the Tallahassee market will help, but I fear we will have the same problem with just an additional airline. I tend to like flying AA, and really hope that they drive down fares to a more reasonable rate.

And as was said many times before, AA was planning on adding TLH anyway, the city had little to do with it, yet they took all the credit.

Maybe it was more his choice of words, saying improvement in airline services rather than saying something more like "overall improvements at the airport" in general.

Until airfare comes down at TLH, he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone there were airline improvements made.

Maybe it was more his choice of words, saying improvement in airline services rather than saying something more like "overall improvements at the airport" in general.

Until airfare comes down at TLH, he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone there were airline improvements made.

Archived