Forsyth County's Population

twincity

to my forsyth co. residents,

im away at school right now so im not able to witness the changes. is there evidence of a sharp popultaion increase around the city/county. here lately there have been a few articles on the county's or WS metro's population increase and school overcrowding in the last couple of years. Is Forsyth finally starting to catch with the growth rates of Guilford, Wake, Durham, and Mecklenburg? are there any new developing hot spots in the city?

today's article

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the schools are definetley overcrowding as more Hispanics are moving in. Trust me my mom's a teacher and the number of ESL (English as a Second Language) schools have gone from 10 to 25 in a matter of less than 10 years! The newly constructed Meadowlark middle and elementary schhols out in west Winston near Lewisville have at least 11 or 12 pods out in the soccer field already! South Winston near the Davidson County border seems to be booming alot, with a new Wal-Mart Supercenter approved and over 20 subdivisons under construction.

The western edge of W-S seems to be growing a lot. Additionally, all of the suburban towns - Kernersville, Clemmons, Lewisville, etc are growing. Since there hasn't been much school construction to compensate for the population growth, the school system is playing catch-up (eg. two new high schools this year).

Also, I had never heard of Winston-Salem Prep. Is that a new private school? Where in the city is it?

Also, I had never heard of Winston-Salem Prep. Is that a new private school? Where in the city is it?

Winston-Salem Prep is located on Clemmonsville Rd near the 150 interchange. It is not at all a private school, but for kids that have been expelled or are a danger to studnets are sent so that they don't miss out on school. The place use to be Independence High School, but the school system shut it down due to too much maintenance costs and it was opened up just this year as Winston Prep, kind of a wired name considering.

^ W-S Prep is at Atkins Middle School in East Winston. i think they take up the 1st floor? The school out on clemmonville road is either Griffith or Independence High.

well something is odd here because the sign out front of the building on Clemmonsville Rd says "middle school preparatory academy." Hmmm..........makes me think. :huh: Anyway, no big deal.

Archived