Urban vs Rural Arkansas

Mith242

There was an article in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette that had an article talking about rural Arkansas. But it made me think more about some of what was said in other topics about people leaving some areas of the state. Eastern Arkansas seems to be getting hit hard although eastern Arkansas cities seem to be getting hit as well not just rural areas. 2004 estimates had 1,601,075 people living in urban areas of Arkansas and 1,151,554 living in rural areas. Not sure when urban areas passed up rural areas in Arkansas but I do know it happened before 1980. Anyone have any comments about this?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I heard them say that urban passed up rural in the 2000 census. There was an article on KARK.com about it...it was titled something like "Arkansas Now Mostly Urban" But it could've been just about how the urban areas had grown...not really sure.

I thought I heard them say that urban passed up rural in the 2000 census. There was an article on KARK.com about it...it was titled something like "Arkansas Now Mostly Urban" But it could've been just about how the urban areas had grown...not really sure.

I admit I'm not sure when it happened to be honest but from the figures I've seen the urban population had already passed the rural population in Arkansas by 1980.

To me, there's really only a few places in Arkansas that are classified as Urban, like : Little Rock, North Little Rock, Pine Bluff, Fayetteville, and Ft. Smith.

I see where you're coming from but I don't think I'd limit it quite so much. What about Jonesboro and West Memphis in particular? Granted I may not go as far as the figures I first saw when I started this topic either.

The definition of urban just means denser than surrounding areas....

From Wikipedia:

Urban area is a term used to define an area where there is an increased density of human-created structures in comparison to the areas surrounding it. This term is at one end of the spectrum of suburban and rural areas. An urban area is more frequently called a city or town.

So, I'd say more than just big cities are included.

That was aporkalypse............not bigboyz.....

But yeah.....I would say under the strictest definition only little rock. In a looser definition, Fort Smith would be added, and maybe Fayetteville.

Yeah but that's Bigboyz city, that why he said it. At least that's what I thought. :D

That was aporkalypse............not bigboyz.....

But yeah.....I would say under the strictest definition only little rock. In a looser definition, Fort Smith would be added, and maybe Fayetteville.

I know, but BigBoyz is from Texarkana, so that's why I was apologizing to him. :D

Interesting...so most cities in AR over 6,000 qualify as an urban area...ex: Russellville pop. 25,179 - 25 sq miles = 1007.16 per sq. mile, but even more in the core of the city...2,184 per sq. mile.

source: http://factfinder.census.gov/home/saff/main.html?_lang=en

Even Smaller cities like Arkadelphia qualify as urban, as it has almost the same density as Little Rock.

Interesting...so most cities in AR over 6,000 qualify as an urban area...ex: Russellville pop. 25,179 - 25 sq miles = 1007.16 per sq. mile, but even more in the core of the city...2,184 per sq. mile.

source: http://factfinder.census.gov/home/saff/main.html?_lang=en

Even Smaller cities like Arkadelphia qualify as urban, as it has almost the same density as Little Rock.

Their defintion of Urban is definately different than mine. :lol:

Their defintion of Urban is definately different than mine. :lol:

Agreed, but to me I think urban vs rural is poorly descriptive, urban vs suburban vs exurban vs rural helps categorize things much better though obviously we're talking about quite arguable definitions and classifications.

Everyone's idea of urban is different. In Canada, a city of 2,500 would be considered urban. Of course Canada is much smaller in population and less densely populated than America. In the Netherlands, something like 25,000 is urban, but of course it is a small and very dense country, as are its cities.

Would someone from NYC consider Little Rock urban? Would someone from Calico Rock consider Conway urban?

Archived