Greenville on the BIG SCREEN

goodbye

Everyone visiting or living in Greenville knows how photogenic downtown is. Since my career field is media, I've often wondered what it would take to attract production companies here to shoot some of their films. It has all the hospitality you could desire, and the future is brighter than ever with plans in place for proper urban growth. Downtown offers both big city urbanity and quaint charm, with all you need to make a good movie great. :shades:

What are your thoughts and ideas?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd think all you'd need is the right script that calls for a setting such as what we have here in Greenville and a legion of location scouts that are aware of Greenville. :lol:

That'd be my suggestion. Find out who the location scouts are for most of the major motion picture production companies and invite each of them into town for a spell.

BTW ... have any motion pictures been filmed in or around Greenville?

I understand that Dirty Dancing was filmed up at Lake Lure in North Carolina. Was "Radio" filmed locally? Are there any others?

Cuba Gooding made a film in Libery South Carolina. No, it was not Radio. Radio was filmed in Anderson. He filmed a action movie in Liberty but I cannot remember the name of it. It was about terrorism.

Actually, 'Radio' was filmed in Walterboro, SC, because it resembled the type of town Anderson was at that time. The movie filmed in Liberty was called 'Chill Factor.' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163579/trivia

'Deliverence' was filmed in the northwest corner of Oconee County. You can see the rugged beauty of that area in the Upstate by watching this movie. It was filmed during the time that the lakes were being built.

Just a few more Hollywood notes. Parts of the "Last Mohican" was filmed in Chimney Rock NC and Asheville. They build the Indian village from the film above Chimney Rock and filmed some scenes at the waterfall in the park. Parts of "Firestarter" were also filmed at Lake Lure. I believe their has been many other movies scenes shoot around Lake lure. A police TV movie about three generations of sheriffs was filmed in Chester SC maybe 10-15 years ago (can't remember the name)? Not all of the river scenes from "Deliverance" were shoot on the Chattooga river some were also shoot at Tugalo gorge in Georgia. One rapid on the Chattooga river is named the" Deliverance" were the film crew lost a raft full of film equipment.

I remember seeing an article some where, maybe a year or two ago that discussed ways for SC to encourage more films to be shoot in SC.

I remember seeing an article some where, maybe a year or two ago that discussed ways for SC to encourage more films to be shoot in SC.

SC did strengthen its incentives for the film and television industry back in the Spring of '05:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1031781912313

http://www.swampfox.ws/index/south-carolin...-film-industry/

It seems many of the movies are attracted to the Lowcountry or rural areas as opposed to the Upstate. The Patriot, Legend of Bagger Vance, Forrest Gump, etc.

Was Sleeping With The Enemy filmed in Spartanburg? And parts of The Program filmed in Columbia?

This site for The SC Film Office answers these questions...also has some nice, though old, photos of places all over SC.

SC Film Office

Thanks, ROBTEX!

They definitely could stand to update some of those location photos. The one for Greenville is very out-dated:

1861_044.jpg

There are so many better, more attractive photos of Greenville that could have been used. :wacko:

SC did strengthen its incentives for the film and television industry back in the Spring of '05:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1031781912313

http://www.swampfox.ws/index/south-carolin...-film-industry/

It seems many of the movies are attracted to the Lowcountry or rural areas as opposed to the Upstate. The Patriot, Legend of Bagger Vance, Forrest Gump, etc.

Was Sleeping With The Enemy filmed in Spartanburg? And parts of The Program filmed in Columbia?

Sleeping with the enemy was Abbeville I believe.

Wasn't "the Patriot" filmed over around York, SC or Clover, SC (near Lake Wylie / Rock Hill)?

Yes, it was.

Maybe, we need to start off smaller, a Music video maybe. Many months ago, I posted a suggestion to host the Miss USA or a smaller (televised) pageant here. Charleston hosted Miss USA two consecutive years in the '70's and it really elevated the city's profile. Tourism really boomed after that. Millions more people watch even a low ratings TV show than even a Mega hit movie.

Plus, with a pageant, the city pretty much dictates what gets filmed, they wouldn't have that kind of control over a movie.

Maybe, we need to start off smaller, a Music video maybe. Many months ago, I posted a suggestion to host the Miss USA or a smaller (televised) pageant here. Charleston hosted Miss USA two consecutive years in the '70's and it really elevated the city's profile. Tourism really boomed after that. Millions more people watch even a low ratings TV show than even a Mega hit movie.

Plus, with a pageant, the city pretty much dictates what gets filmed, they wouldn't have that kind of control over a movie.

I agree. This is a great idea! :thumbsup: I don't want to be too pessimistic; however, wouldn't the NAACP force the pageant organizers to boycott Greenville (or any other prospective host city in South Carolina).

I'd like to see the Southern Conference Basketball Tournament relocated to Greenville or perhaps see the NCAA Basketball Tournament and Furman University work together to make Greenville a perennial opening round host city for both the mens and womens tournaments (alternating years).

At least South Carolina is making an effort with that http://www.scfilmoffice.com/ site that ROBTEX pointed out. However, if we were really serious about this, you'd think a photographer would be hired to go out and get up-to-date professional photos of these possible locations rather than just using old dated stock photos to present our face to the entertainment world.

Thanks, ROBTEX!

They definitely could stand to update some of those location photos. The one for Greenville is very out-dated:

1861_044.jpg

There are so many better, more attractive photos of Greenville that could have been used. :wacko:

GEEEZ that's old! But it's Greenville and so I'm really not that surprised. I honestly feel like we get jipped a lot! I'm not trying to make something out of nothing, i think it's a legitimate claim. Well, maybe not in everything, and I know that in the example that I'm about to give that it's not that big of a deal but come on now... I don't know if yall have noticed, but if you go to the SC website there are pictures of various places in SC. And for each page it changes when you refresh, but there's no pictures of Greenville. Not of something that's recognizable anyway. Maybe a farm house that might be here somewhere in the county. But seriously, there's Charleston, even Columbia's downtown. But not Greenville's lively and attractive Main Street? Not Falls Park? The other two big cities are featured but not us. Hmmm... Maybe i'm making this bigger than it is, but I've noticed and it flat out bugs me. -_-

I would almost prefer that Greenville not be the setting for a movie or TV series, because I fear that some Hollywood producer would portray it as a small southern town with a bunch of backwards hicks with thick drawls for residents. No thanks.

Now, if someone would portray Greenville for what it truly is, then that would be cool. :)

would almost prefer that Greenville not be the setting for a movie or TV series, because I fear that some Hollywood producer would portray it as a small southern town with a bunch of backwards hicks with thick drawls for residents. No thanks.

I can see it now...

"The NEW In the Heat of the Night"

I think they'd have a hard time making that happen with today's Greenville. I could see Spartanburg or Anderson being natural in that type of film, but Greenville is not at all what it once was as an old cotton milltown with yokels hanging out on the streetcorners. :P

• 1 year later...

Archived