US 29 in Anderson area

GSP Tiger

The remaining two lane stretch of US 29 from I-85 to Belton Highway in Anderson will be widened to four lanes in coming years.

Link: U.S. 29 will see bigger, better days

Anderson, SC Independent-Mail (01/01/2006)

In addition, both SCDOT and Georgia DOT are planning for US 29's widening to four lanes from Athens, GA through Hartwell and into Anderson.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29's 4-5 lanes may stretch farther than Cowpens. The stretch from there to Gaffney is being discussed for improvements including widening to a multilane throughfare.

Focusing on the Anderson area, US-29 could use some dire work within the south side. Shockley Ferry Road and other left and right routes US-29 uses are too narrow and congested with traffic. I wonder if a southern bypass would be beneficial in the future.

I suspect that any widening of the section of 29 from Cowpens to Gaffney would involve some major straightening and flattening of many sections, which would be quite the undertaking. That is a rather curvy and hilly stretch of road. I also don't see it as necessary. Most people use 85 to get to Gaffney from Spartanburg, and vice-versa.

I suspect that any widening of the section of 29 from Cowpens to Gaffney would involve some major straightening and flattening of many sections, which would be quite the undertaking. That is a rather curvy and hilly stretch of road. I also don't see it as necessary. Most people use 85 to get to Gaffney from Spartanburg, and vice-versa.

Unnecessary; I must disagree with you. I-85 has been like bumper to bumper from Gossett Road (Exit 80) to SC-18 (Exit 95?) for some number of years now. This stretch has a record of numerous accidents caused by heavy traffic, bad drivers and an outdated stretch. Yes, I-85 will be widened to six lanes through Gaffney in the future yet I doubt that is enough to solve its traffic problems. Motorists are increasingly aware of US-29 as a viable alternative in those situations.

Archived