Washington Road Declining?

R-man

I took a drive down Washington Road for the first time in years recently and I can't put my finger on it, but the stretch between the National and the Columbia Co. line, which used to be bustling, looks different. Seems to have some signs of a strip in decline--- more non-franchise hotels, weedy empty parking lots (where the Steinmart is I believe), closed storesfronts. I can't imagine that it will ever look like Gordon Highway since the surrounding residential areas are stable and the folks at the National would DO something if ever got too bad, but hopefully it be re-invented into something fresh now that all of the national chains are heading to the lifestyle centers and Columbia County. A grand treelined boulevard maybe? Smaller shopping centers with local boutiques and restaurants (like Surrey Center). Perhaps something to connect Wash. Road better with the Broad Street and the downtown revitalization.?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I was driving through Augusta yesterday coming back from a quick trip to Florida and thought THE SAME exact thing, on Washington road in Martinez. That strip you are talking about has changed...I agree. I think the Radisson Hotel there is now something like the Augusta Inn...or something like that, and things dont look as clean (for a suburban strip) as they used to. Washington Road in Evans is a different story though...

• 4 months later...

I just wish they would clean up the area a little bit. The Steinmart shopping center and even all the little strip malls along the street just look outdated. It's pretty sad when the best looking building on a street is the Publix shopping center.

I just wish they would clean up the area a little bit. The Steinmart shopping center and even all the little strip malls along the street just look outdated. It's pretty sad when the best looking building on a street is the Publix shopping center.

LOL, you're right. But once Dillards moves to the Village at Riverwatch, there will be a complete renovation of National Hills so that will at least be one positive. To be honest however, I expect the part of Riverwatch Parkway from around I-20 up to Old Petersburg Rd. to become the next Washington Road. There are two lifestyle centers going up there as well as a couple of hotels so you know restarants and other business are sure to follow.

Archived