Will there ever be a "Greenston-Point"?

cityboi

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could and should, but that doesn't necessarily lead to a "Greenston-Point" anymore than Greensboro and HP touching leading to a Green Point or Highboro.

I say that because in other state multiple governments have merged. I'm not sure if its allowed in NC though.

Clemmons is incorporated, at least it is at the Federal official names website <http://geoname.usgs.gov> (search the FIPS55 area - C1 means incorporated in the fullest extent). Lewisville is as well, and is smaller than Clemmons.

Anyway, this is a great idea I think. The notion of all of these small governmental units is contrary to regionalism and coroperation. They all should be represenetd equally in one governmental unit - at least within Forsyth County and within Guildford County.

But, the choice of name is problematic. Greenston-Point doesn't give much reference to Winston-Salem; it's lost in there. I don't think anyone would go for Winsboro-Point either. Nope, it would have to be some new name with the components remaining. This is not out of the realm of poossibility as we recall nearby Leakesville, Spray, and Draper combining to form Eden. Still, I think it's doable only within each county, and not across county boundaries, at least not right now, but who knows.

Orange County and Los Angeles counties have something like 120 incorporated cities, all smack up against each other. About the only unincorporated land remaining is national forest.

So I expect someday Guilford will fill up, but that doesn't mean the towns have to join into one gov't.

I think it would push the Triad status to major league more quickly If the cities merged the population would be well over 500,000. Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point could become boroughs like in New Yorks City. Alot of people forget that Winston-Salem is a product of a merger. Winston and Salem were once separate towns.

I think it would push the Triad status to major league more quickly If the cities merged the population would be well over 500,000. Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point could become boroughs like in New Yorks City. Alot of people forget that Winston-Salem is a product of a merger. Winston and Salem were once separate towns.

The town of Winston was created because when the state carved Forsyth County out of Stokes County (among other jurisdictional moves to divide the state evenly into 100 counties), Salem refused to be the county seat. Winston was built right at the edge of Salem and the two towns were regarded as one by the US Postal Service 20 years before they united.

New York, on the other hand, merged when only New York (Manhattan) and Brooklyn were mature cities (Brooklyn by itself would still be the 4th largest city in the US). The Bronx and Staten Island were largely rural and Queens County was a collection of villages like Lewisville or Jamestown. The difference was that New York and Brooklyn were inextricably linked commercially in a way that Winston-Salem and Greensboro are not. The port tied the two cities together such that each city's strength complemented the other's strengths so that there wasn't a lot of overlap in services and the East River became analogous to their Main Street. In the Triad, all three cities have textile and furniture industries, 2 of them have tobacco and insurance industries, banking services, etc. Additionally, the three cities have different philosophies. W-S is more urban-minded while GSO is more decentralized. And, they haven't traditionally worked well together witness the failed attempt to bring the Minnesota Twins to the Triad. Voters in W-S approved it while it was defeated in GSO. By merging the 3 cities into one, you risk diluting the strengths of each city by trying to homogenize them into one face and you would have 2 cities trying to be Manhattan.

I think the Major League Baseball vote also failed in Forsyth too but more people in Forsyth County supported the referendum. I think Greensboro and Winston-Salem are urban minded. Over the years Greensboro has focus alot on development on the edge of town but since about 2001 Greensboro is focusing on downtown. but a "central business" district for the Triad seems to be already forming near the airport between the 3 cities. If the 3 cities were under the same government, that would eliminate all the infighting for attracting companies to the area. Some leaders in Greensboro are still bitter about Winston-Salem getting Dell. Greensboro has this mind set that it should have everything that comes to the area.

Greensboro is not particularly urban minded. Both cities are focusing on their downtowns, to their credit, but Winston has a comprehensive plan that actually gets used to a good degree outside of the urban core. In Greensboro, the plan is widely ignored by elected officials outside of downtown and the endless sea of subdivisions and freeways continues unabated.

Winston has designated activity centers and is working on adjusting its zoning to focus development in those areas. GSO, as far as I know, is doing nothing of the sort and doing everything it can to finish the unneeded [sic]urban loop.

And no, there will never be a GreenstonPoint/whatever.

True alot of Greensboro's growth is sprawl but so is Atlanta's and Charlotte's. That doesnt mean Greensboro isnt urban minded. Developers are already building "urban villages" near the edge of town that includes retail and condos. Winston-Salem isnt immuned from freeway building. There is a plan right now to build a loop like Greensboro. But Winston-Salem doesnt have as much sprawl as Greensboro does around its freeways.

I think the Major League Baseball vote also failed in Forsyth too but more people in Forsyth County supported the referendum. I think Greensboro and Winston-Salem are urban minded. Over the years Greensboro has focus alot on development on the edge of town but since about 2001 Greensboro is focusing on downtown. but a "central business" district for the Triad seems to be already forming near the airport between the 3 cities. If the 3 cities were under the same government, that would eliminate all the infighting for attracting companies to the area. Some leaders in Greensboro are still bitter about Winston-Salem getting Dell. Greensboro has this mind set that it should have everything that comes to the area.

The baseball vote (which would have added $.01 tax to hotel and restaurant taxes bringing a $.99 McDonald's meal to $1) passed in Forsyth County and failed in Guilford. The area around the airport is hardly viable compared to other parts of Greensboro or downtown Winston-Salem or North Point in Winston-Salem. Of W-S's three Fortune 500 companies, two are downtown. What is located at the airport other than a back office for AmEx? If the three cities were to merge into one, would downtown W-S be the business district? I'm guessing from the name Greenston-Point which only grants the name Winston-Salem three letters and a hyphen, that you would assume W-S/FC should just be folded into GSO.

I think some folks are offended by the fact that "Greenston-Point" name was used. And you know what happens when w-s forumers get offended. They attack Greensboro.

yea I guess you're right. But I didnt coin the word. As you might expect the name was coined by a newpaper editor for the Greensboro News & Record.

I don't think the forumers from Winston-Salem are offended, they are just representing the interests of the city because as was noted in an earlier post, "Greensboro has this mind set that it should have everything that comes to the area." I imagine if the Winston-Salem Journal had coined a name for such a jurisdiction it would be something like Winstonboro-Point. But, my larger point is that the region is better off by accentuating the strengths of the 3 unique cities while marketing it as a whole economic region - that way, it is able to differentiate itself from other sprawling areas. It works well for Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. I don't think anyone would propose calling it Ralham, because each city in the Triangle brings something different to the table and that should be celebrated rather than homogenized.

Archived