Woodland Mall

Sunlover38

BREAKING NEWS FROM WWW.GRBJ.COM

The Grand Rapids Business Journal is reporting that a Pennsylvania-based real estate investment trust has purchased Woodland Shopping Center from the partnership of Taubman Centers Inc. and Prudential Real Estate Investors, ending a 37-year ownership run in West Michigan.

For more on this breaking story, visit www.grbj.com.

Updates will be posted later today at grbj.com as more details become available.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope they dont close all the mens stores. i call that place the "man's mall" lots of mens stores. no teenagers hang out there. i love it. sometimes i get a electric chair to ride just because its so open. i do a great pirate limp from back in my high school theater days

that concerns me, one of the hallmarks of Taubman, is that the malls they own are upscale. I hope that the new ownership wont take woodland in the direction of "Centerpointe" turn it into one of the "other" malls. It's still a really great shopping destination at this point.

I learned how to drive in the parking lot of Woodland Mall on snowy Sunday mornings before the mall opened up. The security guards would drive around and not bother us. They knew what we were doing.

One of my first part-time/summer jobs while I was in high school was working at a retail clothing store in Woodland Mall. I have very fond memories of leaving that place at 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. and drag racing out of the parking lot on to 28th St. and the East Beltline.

I also have strange memories of hanging out around Woodland with friends from college who grew up on the east side of the state. They would say things like, "This place is so small! If you want to see a real Taubman mall, come check out Twelve Oaks sometime." Typical West Michigan bashing from metro Detroiters.

I learned how to drive in the parking lot of Woodland Mall on snowy Sunday mornings before the mall opened up. The security guards would drive around and not bother us. They knew what we were doing.

One of my first part-time/summer jobs while I was in high school was working at a retail clothing store in Woodland Mall. I have very fond memories of leaving that place at 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. and drag racing out of the parking lot on to 28th St. and the East Beltline.

I also have strange memories of hanging out around Woodland with friends from college who grew up on the east side of the state. They would say things like, "This place is so small! If you want to see a real Taubman mall, come check out Twelve Oaks sometime." Typical West Michigan bashing from metro Detroiters.

Welcome jayblogger! Just like Detroiters to brag about how great their suburbs are :lol: J/K. I didn't mean it. I'm sorry. Forget it..

that concerns me, one of the hallmarks of Taubman, is that the malls they own are upscale. I hope that the new ownership wont take woodland in the direction of "Centerpointe" turn it into one of the "other" malls. It's still a really great shopping destination at this point.

Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust is the company that bought it for $177m. It looks like they have malls all over the country including Florida, West Virginia and Wisconsin. I haven't been to any of the malls they list and it's hard to tell what each one looks like on their site. Overall Woodland probably won't change too much.

While people may think Rivertown is THE mall in Grand Rapids, I hear Woodland does more $$$ per sq/foot than Rivertown. I'm sure that they will not meddle with the formula too much and may even invest some money into the mall. I'd still like to see a Crate and Barrel in GR.

Joe

Anyone see the report on WOODTV8 on this tonight:

PREIT is larger than Taubman, smaller than General Growth (Rivertown Crossings owner)

They are pretty much going to maintain the current tenant mix, but hinted toward changing it a bit

Expansion possibilities are in their "infancy"

$177 Million pricetag :blink:

PREIT feels that there is not enough market here for a 3rd mall any time soon, so they feel they found a "diamond in the rough" in an area with a strong economy (which of course the reporter was quick to comment on that statement :rolleyes: ). I think WOODTV would love to have us slip into the abyss.

I also was told by a Marshall Field's employee that they are being bought out by Macy's (old news to this forum probably).

I think the Woodland Mall with its renovations in the past is a very nice shopping center and am glad to hear the REIT buying it is on the upscale side. The last thing we need is another Centerpointe dump. . . . .

I loved jayblogger's memories of the mall . . . I too have very many . . in fact perhaps jayblogger was one of the male retail clerks we would oogle over as teens . . . hee hee :shades:

I also was told by a Marshall Field's employee that they are being bought out by Macy's (old news to this forum probably).

I think the Woodland Mall with its renovations in the past is a very nice shopping center and am glad to hear the REIT buying it is on the upscale side. The last thing we need is another Centerpointe dump. . . . .

I loved jayblogger's memories of the mall . . . I too have very many . . in fact perhaps jayblogger was one of the male retail clerks we would oogle over as teens . . . hee hee :shades:

I too heard that they're going to be changing signage to be Macy's

Everyone likes to rip on Centerpointe Mall, but they have pulled off what I would consider a retail miracle: they took a mall at probably 40 - 50% occupancy and slipping, and it now hosts some pretty big names like Old Navy, DSW, Nordstrom Rack, Party USA, Linens & Things, Golf Galaxy (great store), etc.. It will never be another Woodland, but that's obviously not what they want. I think it's almost full now too.

Just my $.025.

Everyone likes to rip on Centerpointe Mall, but they have pulled off what I would consider a retail miracle: they took a mall at probably 40 - 50% occupancy and slipping, and it now hosts some pretty big names like Old Navy, DSW, Nordstrom Rack, Party USA, Linens & Things, Golf Galaxy (great store), etc.. It will never be another Woodland, but that's obviously not what they want. I think it's almost full now too.

Just my $.025.

I go to Centerpointe often, but I never stick around and go through the mall. I just go to one of their anchors and leave.

haha, i've worked for Hudson's/Marshall Field's/Macy's for almost 6 years now. And yes, it will be Macy's. Signs should be going up in late Feb.

I, as well, started working in high school at Woodland Mall at the Coffee Beanery. Which started my retail career. I've been in so many stores! Gap, Banana, Dejaiz (Which was part of MerryGoRound, if any of you remember that crap), American Eagle Outfitters, Sephora, Guess?... Then it was on to Rivertown and Marshall Fields where I was retail manager for M.A.C Cosmetics for 4 years. Now I freelance for M.A.C.

Currently, I am the Operations Manager at Marshall Fields Woodland (as of 2 weeks ago).

I forgot how ghetto the clientele was at Woodland.

I go to Centerpointe often, but I never stick around and go through the mall. I just go to one of their anchors and leave.
I just go to Centerpointe for Steve and Barry's... that is a cool store. I didn't know they had a Chuck E. Cheese there! :P

Anyways, I think Woodland can really experience major growth with the food court being completed in the last few years, and now especially with the new Cinemark movie theater. They also have the only Apple Store in West Michigan (which should have gone in downtown).

I went Christmas shopping with my girlfriend, her sister, and mom at Woodland. The place was insanly crowded. I couldn't walk without having to say, "Oh sorry, I am overly sized and I tend to smash into people." The food court there was off the hook. They hada A&W that was totally a favorite of everyone, including myself... Besides being there for about 4 hours, we didn't buy one single gift, but it was still great nonetheless.

Archived