Spring time in January Part2

Lexy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A West End panoramic.

westendpan.jpg

Nice pics, Lexy. Great job on the photoshop. Don't know how much trouble you went through to insert WES into the last shot, but I wonder how/where it would sit in the pano shot.

Also, I think Vandy has the most beautiful urban campus of any school I've seen (OK, I'm partial), but I don't like Furman Hall. When the shcool renovated it in the 60's, they covered the original turreted roofline with that cheap looking metal sheathing. Overall, it's not a very pretty building, but it's prominent on campus and it has a lot of sentimental value among alumni. Seems like they could doll-it-up a bit. I guess I'll just have to earmark my next donation (LOL).

Sorry!!! Great job on the photoshop PHofKS.

Ugh!!! The power lines!!!! What's Mayor closed-Purcell doing about those? I'm aware of his sidewalk crusade.

I do know that Metro Traffic has a policy to install new traffic lights on poles with mast arms to reduce 'overhead pollution' as they call it. It eliminates the cable and wiring from which signals are usually hung and puts the wiring underground making a little cleaner environment.

Not much you can do with overhead power and telephone lines unless you have a lot of money.

Shooting from that location is frustrating because of the powerlines on 31st. It's really not as bad as it seems. The wall in front of American Center is about the only place to take this shot and when the zoom is used, the lines just naturally condense and look bad. Lexy, have you ever been on top of the AC garage, looks like a great place to shoot from. In the inset, you'll see we always have to stand to take pictures from this vantage point (yellow x) and the lines are just right in your face. Grrrrr. But, the long shot is more the way it looks from up there. Except the fake blue sky I just had to thrown in.

WEshot.jpg

From that angle, I believe it's that old seedy motel/apartment type building that used to sit right behind the new Walgreens (formerly the Jacksonian). That's where the new West End condo midrise will be going.

That's the old West End Apts. The replacement will be a 10-story condo tower. Don't recall what it's called. Someone will rescue me. It's underconstruction now. I saw concrete yesterday.

Brain, the little brick building, I'm afraid will be the lesser of the evils being done to Long Blvd. Unfortunately.

Hey, Dave, I was right. But I'll always defer to your knowledge of the area. I'm sorry to hear about the other buildings on Long. :( This raises the question: Is greater density worth ugly buildings?

From that angle, I believe it's that old seedy motel/apartment type building that used to sit right behind the new Walgreens (formerly the Jacksonian). That's where the new West End condo midrise will be going.

Hey, Dave, I was right. But I'll always defer to your knowledge of the area. I'm sorry to hear about the other buildings on Long. :( This raises the question: Is greater density worth ugly buildings?

I say no to your last question. Simple as that.

DAVE!!!! I have tried to get to the top of that freaking garage three times now. Each time the elevators are locked, the stairwells are locked and the ramps up the garage are closed off. I guess I am just going to have to walk the ramps next time. Good views up there, but the walk is a little annoying considering. LOL!!!

MARK MY WORDS!! I WILL get a picture from up there, both day and night. I promise that.

I had a chance to go into the Wesley Bernard yesterday and I was not really impressed. The quality of the construction was so-so. All the ground floor units have been sold so I was able to look in one of the upper units. The one thing I did like was the use of windows. Some of the walk in closets had windows in them. But the real drawback is that the upper floor units have the garage of course on the ground level and your unit goes another 3 floors up. Instead of the the units being stacked 1 on top of the other, they run all the way up to the top. Lets just say I don't want to be the one that moves the sofa up the three turns in the narrow stair case and make the final turn through a door into the living room. Its defiantly not designed for an older person.

I also went into the Greymont. Even though the developers are different, the design was about the same as the Wesley. A whole lot of stairs. Units are just 3 stories high here. I guess I am biased because I have a little arthritis in my knees and have a problem with more than one flight of stairs.

I say no to your last question. Simple as that.

DAVE!!!! I have tried to get to the top of that freaking garage three times now. Each time the elevators are locked, the stairwells are locked and the ramps up the garage are closed off. I guess I am just going to have to walk the ramps next time. Good views up there, but the walk is a little annoying considering. LOL!!!

MARK MY WORDS!! I WILL get a picture from up there, both day and night. I promise that.

You are the man, Lexy. I know you will find a way!

By the way, once again, great shots of mid-town! Thanks a bunch for posting them.

Archived