The Village At South Park

atlrvr

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering who the hell would rent an apartment at a mall for $3200.00 a month. I certainly wouldn't. I wonder how many dumb newcomers they can fool into renting these though. You know, the type of person who just moved here from up north, knows nothing about the city, doesn't do their homework, sees a Nieman Marcus and some designer boutiques and assumes its the best nieghborhood in the city and that that price is simply what it cost to live in said neighborhood. Well, I don't even know if they ca do that. You can live anywhere in Charlotte for 3200 a month in rent. Of all those choices, why a mall.

I was wondering who the hell would rent an apartment at a mall for $3200.00 a month. I certainly wouldn't. I wonder how many dumb newcomers they can fool into renting these though. You know, the type of person who just moved here from up north, knows nothing about the city, doesn't do their homework, sees a Nieman Marcus and some designer boutiques and assumes its the best nieghborhood in the city and that that price is simply what it cost to live in said neighborhood. Well, I don't even know if they ca do that. You can live anywhere in Charlotte for 3200 a month in rent. Of all those choices, why a mall.

Even if they moved here and made such a decision, they'd learn quickly the error of their ways and become disgruntled about it. Not good business. I wonder what the most expensive rent per square foot is in the city? Grandview?

Is this site different from the Village site?

No, it's the same site.

Here's the rendering from Charlotte.com, in which you can see the C&B store. southpark.jpg

As i posted in the SouthPark thread in retail, we finally have a time frame on the Dillard's remodel and we've got word for sure that some extremely high-end luxury stores will join Neiman Marcus in its wing and of course the size of C&B 37,000 s/f which is a good size.

But $3,200 to live at a mall. Is it worth it haha...

"So where do you live"?

"SouthPark"

"Oh, the SouthPark area?"

"No, right at the mall"

haha :)

Even if they moved here and made such a decision, they'd learn quickly the error of their ways and become disgruntled about it. Not good business. I wonder what the most expensive rent per square foot is in the city? Grandview?

Uptown Place is highest at about $1.40 per square foot (though is skewed with many 1 bedrooms that typically rent for higher $psf)....Summit Grandview is 2nd-3rd at $1.35 psf. Phillips Place would be about $1.25.....

The CBJ has said that these will be condo conversions after they rent them for a while....I'm predicting the conversion in less than 18 months like 5th & Poplar (which also had to be converted because they were asking unachievable rents and was not producing the returns that they had pro forma-ed).

Get this....I just learned that the SMALLEST unit will be 1,600 sq. ft. and $3,000 per month.....the largest unit will be 3,000 sq. ft. and over $5,000 per month!!!!! Hahahahahahaha.....sorry. I wish them luck.

Why would anyone want to rent one of those when they could purchase a nice home and make mortgage payments for less...? Is SouthPark really that trendy now? Someone explain... I've been away from Charlotte for a few years now... and these prices are near DC level.

I suppose I could see how a few Charlotte new comers from, for example, DC could be fooled into these rental rates. But, those newcomers would have to know absolutely nothing about Charlotte to fall for this.

I'm glad they're going with clean and modern instead of the Georgian/stucco look.

It is rather incredible that the city permitting department is allowing a building to be built that actually looks like it was constructed in 2006, in SouthPark no less.

It is rather incredible that the city permitting department is allowing a building to be built that actually looks like it was constructed in 2006, in SouthPark no less.

Looks like 1976 to me. ;)

It is very cool and modern. I just hope they keep up the budget for scraping off mildew.

It would've matched with old SouthPark
Totally.

C&B does its own thing architecturally. I think the contrast with the rest of the mall's design is intentional.

Concerning the new architectural direction of the mall: it's a little Georgian, I suppose, but I tend to consider it Historicist Modern. It's not really a good representation of any particlar antique period in architecture, but evocative of many things. It's not bad for a mall.

Anyways, back when SouthPark was a clean, modern and elegant design, as it should have been, their focus grops told them the mall's look was dated. You can't have it both ways, y'all.

• 2 weeks later...

The woman on the news said C&B would be opening this fall at the same time NM is opening. Is that possible, can they build the store that fast?

With department stores and boutiques it takes longer because the buyers take time at least a year/year and a half to gather all the merchandise for the store.....whereas for furniture stores it isn't as hard.....I learned that in class...

Archived