The Village At South Park

atlrvr

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

woohoo. when i saw you replied to this post i knew you'd have pics for us! :)thanks

It sounds sacreligious but they really need to tear down that Church its ugly and doesn't fit the hood very well. If it were torn down and the Bissel Hayes buildings were torn down we could have a much better streetscape on the other side.

It sounds sacreligious but they really need to tear down that Church its ugly and doesn't fit the hood very well. If it were torn down and the Bissel Hayes buildings were torn down we could have a much better streetscape on the other side.

Hah, you're not the first person that I've heard say that.

I see cranes off in the distance toward Colony and Sharon Roads. What project is that?

Morrison by Grubb Properties

That church as been there longer than almost everything else there and it complemented SouthPark as originally designed and the former Eastern Airlines complex. This was back when buildings of this scope tried to achieve something unique, used interesting materials and were not all just boxes with fancy coats. I think the Church in being built from high quality materials and its complex unique design adds some nice architectural diversity to an area that is now suffering from EFIS inspired, boxy neo-blandness.

I agree, and I love telling the urban legend to people about the guy who tried to ski down it, visitors I have always love that story. Its very much so a conversation piece, and one of the more unique churches in Charlotte, with exception of the big pink church, that you can see from miles and miles away.

My father and a few friends fathers, when I was a kid told us all about a charlotte urban legend that someone tried to ski down the church in the pictures, and died, I have only heard the story from like 5 people, none of which knew eachother tho, has anyone else ever heard this story before????

oops i feel like an ass

don't worry, it was just a misunderstanding :)

SouthPark was more interesting as a Modernist mall. But their focus groups complained it was "dated" and they changed.

Yeah. If you look around the country, a lot of the older malls have a dated look but still do really well, and that look works for them. The dated look in the modernist sense... whether it'd be Northpark mall in Dallas or Woodfield Mall in suburban Chicago or Fashion Island in Newport Beach

My father and a few friends fathers, when I was a kid told us all about a charlotte urban legend that someone tried to ski down the church in the pictures, and died, I have only heard the story from like 5 people, none of which knew eachother tho, has anyone else ever heard this story before????

ha. that's really funny cause i do remember being told as a kid that a group of teens had dared one amongst them to slide down the steeple... one guy did and broke his leg. looks like i got the G rated, parable version. in any event i like this structure and hope they leave well enough alone.

glad someone else has heard a similar story, I'm just wondering, is there a door up there or what? cuz that'd be pretty damn hard to get up there, I mean its not that steep at the bottom and you could probably climb up maybe 20 ft in the air, but further than that, not possible without some ice climbing equipment, who knows maybe its a door, its a fabulous story.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this project relatively well, but why does it sit askew to the intersection? I hope they resolve this with a plaza, and get rid of the awkward natural area currently at the corner.

I think it's like that to make it parallel to Dillard's and the parking deck

Archived