Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beany

South Elm Street Redevelopment

82 posts in this topic

I love those ideas! I see the vision even includes a highrise residential building.

I see the plan includes a downtown grocery store. Looks like that may happen sooner that we thought. Its good that the old Daily Bread Flour Mill will be reused for residential. That building was built in 1910. Hopefully they will keep the grain silos. It will be an interesting project. The concept drawings show a 10-story condo tower and hopefully that will happen. :yahoo:

Edited by cityboi

I must admit though, I'd love to see a multiplex theater as part of the development. That could be the main entertainment anchor on South Elm Street.

i just read the details on triad.bizjournals.com. those are some pretty impressive numbers. of couse the highlight of the vision is the 126 unit condo tower. im not familiar with this area of Greensboro. how far is it from downtown? could the new tower add to the skyline?

Edited by twincity

Actually this development is downtown but it will be on the southern boundary and include land currently not in the central business district. they plan to expand the central business district southward making downtown bigger. This condo tower if built would do little for Greensboro's skyline because Greensboror's skyline is more towards the north end of downtown. But over time, alot of towers could fill in the gap, :) The vision renderings show a 10-story tower. It should be a nice landmark for the southern end of downtown.

here is the link to the article South Elm grocery and tower

Edited by cityboi

46,000 square foot grocery.. This area is really underserved and that would fit in very well in the plan!

I think that is a great location for a grocery store. It will be downtown but still convenient to a lot of people who live outside of downtown that are currently under-served. Also, a grocery store at Bellemeade project would be good.

I think that is a great location for a grocery store. It will be downtown but still convenient to a lot of people who live outside of downtown that are currently under-served. Also, a grocery store at Bellemeade project would be good.

Wo do you think might occupy it? I would guess Harris Teeter for Bellmeade and Maybe South Elm.

I'm almost confident it's going to be Harris Teeter.

Edited by cantnot

As far as I know, it will also be the first full scale downtown supermarket in North Carolina. I do think the over all plan is great but there needs to be an attraction like a movie theater or something.

As far as I know, it will also be the first full scale downtown supermarket in North Carolina. I do think the over all plan is great but there needs to be an attraction like a movie theater or something.

Doesn't Charlotte have a downtown Harris Teeter off of Trade that is full service?

I think it will be nice for the residents to be able to walk to the store when they need to go. I'm curious to what store brand it will be. Are the demogarphics of this area right for Harris Teeter? I'd like to see a local chain such as the Fresh Market.

I think it will be nice for the residents to be able to walk to the store when they need to go. I'm curious to what store brand it will be. Are the demogarphics of this area right for Harris Teeter? I'd like to see a local chain such as the Fresh Market.

While the Fresh Market is cool, I think the area wants a regular grocer as opposed to a specialty grocery store first. As far as the demos, you could be right (See below)

I would guess Food Lion for S. Elm and Harris Teeter at Bellemeade.

I know Harris Teeter is looking for a downtown location. You could be right, it will probably be Bellmeade instead for HT and Food Lion for S Elm.

southelmdevelopment1.jpg

southelmdevelopment2.jpg

southelmdevelopment3.jpg

southelmdevelopment4.jpg

southelmdevelopment5.jpg

southelmdevelopment6.jpg

southelmdevelopment7.jpg

The Supermarket is on the right front and you can see the highrise condo in the back. Whats great about the super market plan is that there is no huge parking lot in front of the store.

southelmdevelopment9.jpg

southelmdevelopment10.jpg

Edited by cityboi