South Elm Street Redevelopment

Beany

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

I really like what I've read of the plan so far. I'm glad they're putting an emphasis on keeping a strong street-wall lined with retail, and wrapping the parking decks with residential buildings. Plus, the addition of the up to 150' tower could seriously help spur more development not only farther south along Elm Street, but along Lee Street as well.

Picture of the proposed plan.

se1vz6.jpg

I really like what I've read of the plan so far. I'm glad they're putting an emphasis on keeping a strong street-wall lined with retail, and wrapping the parking decks with residential buildings. Plus, the addition of the up to 150' tower could seriously help spur more development not only farther south along Elm Street, but along Lee Street as well.

I agree. I like the little comments they have, from the residents who came out to participate in the open meeting, down the sides of the pages. You can get a feel for what everyone wants. I love the fact that people let it be known that they want the new architecture to be contemporary style as it gets further from the old neighborhoods. The 150' foot tower would definitely spur more developement. I think things will start to head toward West Lee and Aycock near UNCG. Then I think about the coliseum area and what they could possibly do over there. It makes my head hurt! :blink: Anyway, I see people have the right idea. Let the infill games begin!

P.S.

Does the city itself have a comprehension plan, or does each "area" or "neighborhood" have to come up with their own?

It would be great to see the "urbanization" of the whole Lee Street corridor. Sometime in the future I would love to see a coliseum-downtown streetcar line.

The city does have a comprehensive plan, but several neighborhoods also have their own plan. I'm not really sure how it works out.

It would be great to see the "urbanization" of the whole Lee Street corridor. Sometime in the future I would love to see a coliseum-downtown streetcar line.

Yes, you are so right! :) That is the first thing that needs to happen in Greensboro. Then they need to get to work on Spring Garden St., particularly where it intersects with Aycock. The UNCG side is getting nicely built up with new midrise dorms but the rest of Spring Gdn. is sorely lacking.

The city does have a comprehensive plan, but several neighborhoods also have their own plan. I'm not really sure how it works out.

Yea I would too. First they need to improve the streetscape between downtown and the coliseum. It looks run down. Alot of rundown buildings need to be demolished and hopefully the city will put ordinances in place to run away the adult businesses on lee Street then there needs to be a grassy median with flowers with crosswalks painted on the street to look like brick.

I love the new rendering and its good that the South Elm development could get a highrise condo. It would also be nice if the South Elm Lee area turned into a "midtown" sort of like Atlanta

I was reading the updated plan for Aycock. They kept referring to the city's comprehension plan. From what I read, it seems the city's plan is to get the neighborhoods to develop their own character while becoming one connected entity with downtown and other neighborhoods. They want to improve the gateways into the city so they'll be more pedestrian friendly and prepare for the inevitable revitalization effort that is flowing out of DTGSO.

• 2 weeks later...

South Elm Redevelopment Plan clears the first step.

The Greensboro Redevelopment Commission has approved the plan. Next stop...the planning board.

Here's the N&R Article:

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../-1/NEWSREC0201

Here's a blogger's article on what happened at the meeting held for locals by the Commission on the plan. It also includes some pictures from the meeting:

http://chosenfast.blogspot.com/2006/08/com...-south-elm.html

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

While speculation over the nature of the Triumph Center continues it seems that the city of Greensboro has acquired most of the land for redevelopment in the S. Elm area and seems ready to start with the environmental and site cleanup in the area. The plan presented by the city for the area seems to be quite good, hoepfully the city will deliver on that high rise shown in the plan. More details below in the article:

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...6034/1004/GTCOM

While speculation over the nature of the Triumph Center continues it seems that the city of Greensboro has acquired most of the land for redevelopment in the S. Elm area and seems ready to start with the environmental and site cleanup in the area. The plan presented by the city for the area seems to be quite good, hoepfully the city will deliver on that high rise shown in the plan. More details below in the article:

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...6034/1004/GTCOM

Im not so sure about the supermarket in this though. I guess that would depend on whether Greensboro lands the Triumph Center project which is rumored to have a supermarrket.

I think the redevelopment will be more of an affordable housing situation (townhomes/condos) between $120,000 and $200,000. Also office space, a few restaruants and limited entertainment. Hopefully we will see the kind of quality we see in Southside.

• 9 months later...

Good news! Are they tearing down these buildings to build a specific part of the project first or just demolishing for demolition's sake?

they are demolishing for the project but the starting time table for the project is uncertain. I do no that some of the old buildings just cant be save like the old black marble art deco Jones bakery. Fire destroyed the building more than 20 years ago and the ruined building has sat that for years. Its been an eye sore and weeds and trees inside the building have grown almost two stories. I do think if this project can attract major retail its possible it could be something like an urban Home Depot but that would be years away. The demographics isnt there yet and there is still the problem of the crime perception south of Lee Street.

Here is an article from this mornings paper

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...STAFF/840594400

if this building is demolished, it will be a loss to the area. does anyone have info on this building? how old is it? it looks to be in pretty good shape.

I thought the same thing when I saw that building. Hopefully, they have a certain part of the project in mind to build now rather than leaving lots empty till they get around to developing them.

Archived