South Elm Street Redevelopment

Beany

$60 million dollar proposal unveiled for the South Elm/Lee Street in downtown Greensboro. The project consists of:

- a 200,000 square foot office building for Guilford County Schools administrative offices

- 60-70 residential units for mixed-income households

- retail space

- a parking deck for 550 vehicles

-a street level community park atop the parking deck which would be nestled within a hillside at the site

The main building will be a "green" building.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/10...east_greensboro

The project isnt as ambitious as I thought it would be. I think the site could be put to better use than a large school administration building because it is a gateway into downtown. I do like the residential and retail part of it and I also like the idea of a park on top of a parking deck. Its a very modest project but at least it well help revitalize that end of downtown.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the renderings fo the new school administration building to be built at South Elm/Lee Street. I still think the site could have been put to better use such as entertainment venues, movie theater, ect. But at least the project will help clean up a blighted area include residential and retail.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/10...office_proposal

It is a nice building though

drawing.jpg

newschlblding2.jpg

newschlbdg3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the renderings fo the new school administration building to be built at South Elm/Lee Street. I still think the site could have been put to better use such as entertainment venues, movie theater, ect. But at least the project will help clean up a blighted area include residential and retail.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/10...office_proposal

It is a nice building though

drawing.jpg

newschlblding2.jpg

newschlbdg3.jpg

:stop: What an awful monstrosity to go in such an urban area...

• 2 years later...

They've released the RFP requests on the South Elm Redevelopment website. You can view them here

It's interesting to see what the various groups are proposing. Only a few of them actually have any images of what they're looking at, but all of the seem to be a bit smaller than the initial plan from 2006. Something I also noticed was that DPZ Charlotte (the same people who did Southside, if I recall correctly) are making a proposal too.

They've released the RFP requests on the South Elm Redevelopment website. You can view them here

It's interesting to see what the various groups are proposing. Only a few of them actually have any images of what they're looking at, but all of the seem to be a bit smaller than the initial plan from 2006. Something I also noticed was that DPZ Charlotte (the same people who did Southside, if I recall correctly) are making a proposal too.

haha you beat me to it DCB. I looked at the proposals and at least some progress is being made. It will be interesting to see how all this turns out. Projects like this can take a decade like Southside did. The ball got rolling for the Southside neighborhood in the early 1990s and construction started in the early 2000s. The ball got rolling for the South Elm project in 2006 so maybe by 2016 we'll see some buildings going up, hopefully sooner.

• 2 months later...

Hmm.. website doesn't work anymore. Wonder what this means, did they simply forget to renew the domain?

• 6 months later...

Another step forward.

South Elm Development Group has been chosen to be the master developer of Greensboro's South Elm redevelopment site. I believe there were 4 or 5 in the running. For more information here is the link.

Thanks for posting. Soon we may finally see something happen with this.

more info here...Bob Isner, developer of Southside will be partnering with a Durham developer on this project.

"The group is planning for the seven-acre site that straddles South Elm Street south of Lee Street to include 25 townhouse or condo units, 168 residential rental units, ground-floor retail space, restaurants and an "international market place." Chapman also said during that meeting that the group thought the market could support a 75- to 90-room hotel, and that it was exploring using the development as a "downtown university campus" with 15,000 square feet of office space, an esplanade and a wellness center."

http://www.bizjourna...lected-for.html

also a pdf link to a more final concept

http://www.southelmstreet.com/sites/default/files/SouthElmDevGroupProposal1.pdf

post-S.-Elm-site.jpg?v=1

No problem. I also am really eager to see this project moving forward.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the Daily Bread Flour building just south of the proposed development? I thought that was going to be redeveloped along with the whole area but its not in the plans.

I'm really looked forward to seeing this finally get off the ground. I hope this helps spur more development on that side of downtown and will help connect Southside with the mixed use projects UNCG is building along Lee St. I also hope they're able to develop the vacant lots on the northern corners of Lee St. and Elm St. even though they aren't specifically mentioned in the plan.

Is the 10 story condo tower still in the works for this redevelopment project, and the full sized grocer?

I'm not exactly sure. As far as the grocer, I doubt it since Deep Roots, which will be a full service grocery store, will be opening up on the other end of downtown. The project could include something around mid/high-rise, particularly if they build the hotel. I wouldn't expect anything really tall in this project.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I like it too. The community events pavilion (the greek temple looking building) seems like a nice idea and addition to this project. It seems to help create a greater sense of place and a definite destination for those that stroll down S. Elm.

I get the impression that the buildings that are actually detailed are probably going to be the first "phase" and the more basic structures will be designed and built later on -- and It also make me think that these are relatively close to the final designs (or at least the concepts) they're going to go with.

Archived